Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #121
Member
 
City: PARRISH
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 12
Outboard Trawlers

Love the simplicity of an outboard, and the ability to beach our boat right up to the shore



Don
CaptDon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #122
Member
 
City: PARRISH
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 12
CaptDon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #123
Senior Member
 
City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Outboard mod on a 1969 Pearson. Nice paint job!

https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/d...556355481.html
I saw that "restored" boat on craigslist but it screamed airbnb boat to me(hope it's not a members).. also the price is ambitious to to say the least.

If the efficiency is there @ trawler speeds(and I don't think it is) there's still the "issue" of storing enough gasoline on the boat to power it.

I like diesel.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #124
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I saw that "restored" boat on craigslist but it screamed airbnb boat to me(hope it's not a members).. also the price is ambitious to to say the least.

If the efficiency is there @ trawler speeds(and I don't think it is) there's still the "issue" of storing enough gasoline on the boat to power it.

I like diesel.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #125
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I saw that "restored" boat on craigslist but it screamed airbnb boat to me(hope it's not a members).. also the price is ambitious to to say the least.

If the efficiency is there @ trawler speeds(and I don't think it is) there's still the "issue" of storing enough gasoline on the boat to power it.
The price is certainly a reach....a LONG reach.

We aren't going to find its efficiency on boattest.com but I was wondering how it would do with high thrust Suzuki DF60's like the Great Harbour TT35 is using. Kind of hard to tell if the outboards are even mounted at the most efficient height on the transom.

Art - I was laughing at the name too. Just too few answers to be found in a CL ad and too few pics were provided.
__________________
Buffalo Bluff Light 28
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #126
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I saw that "restored" boat on craigslist but it screamed airbnb boat to me(hope it's not a members).. also the price is ambitious to to say the least.

If the efficiency is there @ trawler speeds(and I don't think it is) there's still the "issue" of storing enough gasoline on the boat to power it.

I like diesel.
Seems there would be plenty of room for fuel [gas or diesel] storage seeing as the two inboards were removed. Maybe they could put enough fuel aboard to make the boat an ocean-passer!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #127
Senior Member
 
City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Seems there would be plenty of room for fuel [gas or diesel] storage seeing as the two inboards were removed. Maybe they could put enough fuel aboard to make the boat an ocean-passer!
With enough energy on board to register on seismographs worldwide.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #128
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
With enough energy on board to register on seismographs worldwide.
What most do not understand - Gasoline [as a liquid - regarding its own chemical compound - even if great heat were to be applied inside the liquid mass] does not [itself as a liquid] explode nor burn. With fume-ignition point temperature reached and ample %age of airborne gasoline fumes present... gasoline fumes do violently burn... which can explode a gasoline tank wide open and then the released gasoline liquid's "fumes" burn and are continued to be fed by additional fumes coming from the evaporating liquid gasoline!

Rule of thumb: Better to transport a full gas can than a 1/2 full can. Reason... less fumes to escape or explode should for any reason a situation arise where ignition temperature were to be reached in the gas can's fumes; by a spark or anything else.

Can gasoline catch on fire?


Remember the vapors, not the liquid, ignite. That means a lit cigarette doesn't have to be near the gasoline for it to catch fumes on fire. ... A fire or explosion can result from gasoline fumes coming in contact with one of many ignition sources.



Flammable and combustible liquids themselves do not burn. It is the mixture of their vapors and air that burns. Gasoline, with a flashpoint of -40C (-40F), is a flammable liquid. Even at temperatures as low as -40C (-40F), it gives off enough vapor to form a burnable mixture in air. At higher temperatures gasoline fumes become more pronounced as an airbourn percentage and therefore ever more dangerously explosive .




Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #129
Senior Member
 
Scratchnsaw's Avatar
 
City: SOBX North Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
What most do not understand - Gasoline [as a liquid - regarding its own chemical compound - even if great heat were to be applied inside the liquid mass] does not [itself as a liquid] explode nor burn. With fume-ignition point temperature reached and ample %age of airborne gasoline fumes present... gasoline fumes do violently burn... which can explode a gasoline tank wide open and then the released gasoline liquid's "fumes" burn and are continued to be fed by additional fumes coming from the evaporating liquid gasoline!

Rule of thumb: Better to transport a full gas can than a 1/2 full can. Reason... less fumes to escape or explode should for any reason a situation arise where ignition temperature were to be reached in the gas can's fumes; by a spark or anything else.

Can gasoline catch on fire?


Remember the vapors, not the liquid, ignite. That means a lit cigarette doesn't have to be near the gasoline for it to catch fumes on fire. ... A fire or explosion can result from gasoline fumes coming in contact with one of many ignition sources.



Flammable and combustible liquids themselves do not burn. It is the mixture of their vapors and air that burns. Gasoline, with a flashpoint of -40C (-40F), is a flammable liquid. Even at temperatures as low as -40C (-40F), it gives off enough vapor to form a burnable mixture in air. At higher temperatures gasoline fumes become more pronounced as an airbourn percentage and therefore ever more dangerously explosive .



And this is the better idea for simple gas cans that we have to travel with when we use all the gas out of it. I wonder who came up with these non vented cans? When something is not broken someone will make sure to break it, you know. These things turns into big round rad mellons.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2006.jpg   IMG_2004.jpg  
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #130
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,240
These gas cans SHOULD be illegal!!! Especially their "absolutely sealed" cap arrangement and pour spout design that spills gasoline all over the place.

Some engineer[s] that had not ever used gas cans to any extent designed this crap.


Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:01 AM   #131
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
These gas cans SHOULD be illegal!!! Especially their "absolutely sealed" cap arrangement and pour spout design that spills gasoline all over the place.

Some engineer[s] that had not ever used gas cans to any extent designed this crap.


Look up ezpourspout.com
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #132
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Look up ezpourspout.com
Looks pretty good. Noted that on video [interesting fuel tank arrangement shown for short time on an OB boat] they mentioned "Our high flow spout can empty a vented 5 gallon can in just 35 seconds". And, many of the plastic fuel cans shown have vents on back handle. Unfortunately... I've seen no plastic fuel cans for sale in CA with a vent and the ones I have do not have any vents. This is a reason it is so hard to utilize the pour spout that comes with the plastic cans and is legally supposed to be used. A vacuum gets formed due to their ill designed breather attempt on the stupid and nearly always leaking during pour - legal spout.. I'm confident that in my non vented 5 gal plastic cans that a vacuum would really make pouring even with the EZ Spout a "chugging" PIA.

So... I just simply open the filler hole wide and pour into a big funnel of some sort. The big opening allows air to enter over top of the fluid stream coming out.

I try to never leave my gas cans in the sun... so that they do not blow up like a balloon. I also don't fill more than 4.5 gals in a 5 gal can so there is room for fuel expansion on hot days.

I also have some old metal cans that work well and there is a metal can on the net that CA refuses to let into stores. I have one. It's pretty good but not too easy to hold its spring assist lid open under certain angles sometimes needed for filling a separate tank.

Visit: https://www.zoro.com/eagle-type-i-sa...iABEgK_sPD_BwE

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #133
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,817
Diesel Outboard

https://newatlas.com/yanmar-dtorque-...utboard/51675/
__________________
Alan
Skype roatan63
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:53 AM   #134
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Assuming it makes its way to the US soon, it sure will be a boon to the outboard trawler market.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #135
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,300
Rosborough Roughwater

You can find the darnest things on Craigslist. This is a 30' Rosborough Roughwater rigid inflatable "fast trawler". Want to go fast? Well this baby has two Yamaha F150's.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...573991659.html
Attached Thumbnails
rr.jpg  
__________________
Buffalo Bluff Light 28
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #136
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
You can find the darnest things on Craigslist. This is a 30' Rosborough Roughwater rigid inflatable "fast trawler". Want to go fast? Well this baby has two Yamaha F150's.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...573991659.html
Wow - $129K blow up boat! Didn't notice any sleeping area in photos. What happens after couple decades pass and the inflatable material has much sun damage? Junk the whole thing. Or take the top parts off and place onto/onto a new blow up hull? I'd imagine that in time [not too many years] that boat would depreciate to near no value due to rubber-like hull material aging factors - Am I wrong??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #137
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Wow - $129K blow up boat! Didn't notice any sleeping area in photos. What happens after couple decades pass and the inflatable material has much sun damage? Junk the whole thing. Or take the top parts off and place onto/onto a new blow up hull? I'd imagine that in time [not too many years] that boat would depreciate to near no value due to rubber-like hull material aging factors - Am I wrong??
Wondered about that myself but doesn't the USCG use a lot of inflatables like that? I guess you can replace the tubes but who knows at what cost.
__________________
Buffalo Bluff Light 28
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #138
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Wondered about that myself but doesn't the USCG use a lot of inflatables like that? I guess you can replace the tubes but who knows at what cost.
Well yes... but they work with tax payer dollars for new boats when desired/needed. I don't know how long CG inflatables remains usable due to sun factors and other weathering conditions.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #139
Senior Member
 
City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
What most do not understand - Gasoline [as a liquid - regarding its own chemical compound - even if great heat were to be applied inside the liquid mass] does not [itself as a liquid] explode nor burn. With fume-ignition point temperature reached and ample %age of airborne gasoline fumes present... gasoline fumes do violently burn... which can explode a gasoline tank wide open and then the released gasoline liquid's "fumes" burn and are continued to be fed by additional fumes coming from the evaporating liquid gasoline!

Rule of thumb: Better to transport a full gas can than a 1/2 full can. Reason... less fumes to escape or explode should for any reason a situation arise where ignition temperature were to be reached in the gas can's fumes; by a spark or anything else.

Can gasoline catch on fire?


Remember the vapors, not the liquid, ignite. That means a lit cigarette doesn't have to be near the gasoline for it to catch fumes on fire. ... A fire or explosion can result from gasoline fumes coming in contact with one of many ignition sources.



Flammable and combustible liquids themselves do not burn. It is the mixture of their vapors and air that burns. Gasoline, with a flashpoint of -40C (-40F), is a flammable liquid. Even at temperatures as low as -40C (-40F), it gives off enough vapor to form a burnable mixture in air. At higher temperatures gasoline fumes become more pronounced as an airbourn percentage and therefore ever more dangerously explosive .




I get that but carrying around 200 gallons of potential fumes if you dont have to .
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #140
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I get that but carrying around 200 gallons of potential fumes if you dont have to .
Careful is as careful does!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012