Original boat name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Chicken-of-the Sea", from an episode of I love Lucy.
Funny!

Mine is unique. :blush:

Now I'm no prude, but my first thought was what explanation follows when the 5 yr old quizzes dad about that image on the boat. It was hard to miss.

That one takes the prize for the hands-down-all-time-winner for "most tasteless boat name". You thought "For Play" was bad...

Oh lord, if you worry about explaining that you'd have hated to walk past my previous boat...
31682529_243937819502146_2026073830304251904_n.jpg

I don't get the mustach, jgtrucking. Shipboard 2014:

Attachments

• IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 71
Boats should be named after women or virtues.
I agree, well, or at least people. The Edmund Fitzgerald. Charles W. Morgan. Or places - Mauritania. Xanadu. The cursed whaling ship Essex. We chartered a nice sailboat called Misty Blue Yonder in the San Juans. Or history, like Seeadler. Nautilus. Constitution. HMS Victory. Either way, it ought to have some class, some elan. Something grand or transcendent or elevating. The adolescent sexual stuff - can't tell you how many times I've walked a marina, rolled my eyes and thought, oh grow up.

I'm glad to see that there are only three other boats with the same name as ours, but I really didn't think that there would be any.

I didn't think there would be another boat with the name Kinja. Again, I was wrong.

I agree, well, or at least people. The Edmund Fitzgerald. Charles W. Morgan. Or places - Mauritania. Xanadu. The cursed whaling ship Essex. We chartered a nice sailboat called Misty Blue Yonder in the San Juans. Or history, like Seeadler. Nautilus. Constitution. HMS Victory. Either way, it ought to have some class, some elan. Something grand or transcendent or elevating. The adolescent sexual stuff - can't tell you how many times I've walked a marina, rolled my eyes and thought, oh grow up.

When I see a name that has adolescent sexual content, I see it as a lack of respect for their boat and their neighbors.

There was a Moore 24 in the harbor I used to sail out if back in the day when I was doing keelboat racing on SF Bay. For those not aware, the Moore 24 is a high performance, ocean capable and very fast sailboat with an extremely minimal cabin. The name of this boat: “Wet Spot”.

I thought it was fun and yes, a bit “racy.”

Moore 24s (?) under Carquinez Bridge:

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 69
Seen many years ago on what looked to be an ocean racing power boat. "Bob's Wet Dream". And on it's tender "Little Squirt".

Can't make that stuff up......

M

We occasionally question the sensibilities of boat owners who name their boats with ridiculously long monikers, visualizing how far the USCG radio operator will roll their eyes...and the “humorous” names which may get a smirk the first, maybe the second time...but two that stuck in our minds:

> While in the Hawk Channel we heard the USCG hailing a boat about their intentions. This seemed unusual so we eavesdropped - the boat’s name was “Repeat Violation”.

> In Stuart, tied up at Whiticar’s yard, a boat, perhaps appropriately designated, “Yes Dear”.

I have had several people ask me if we were going to change the name of our Charlie Noble, when I tell we are keeping the name they ask why would we want to keep the last owners name as the name of our boat. So we have to explain that it is not the last owners name and the real meaning.

Alaskaprof. Some good friends of mine in Datteln, Germany have a steel cruiser called Seeadler, they were curious about our boat name so we exchanged the background stories.

Oh great, Bill's set a new benchmark. Now I'm going to gave to buy a signed first edition of Coleridge's Sybilline Leaves when he first published Kubla Khan, to leave on the coffee table on the boat. Let's see, came out around 1816, that should only be a couple grand.View attachment 91780

Who knew you could pick up a "stately pleasure dome" on a travelift?

Bill in Ucluelet

Alaskaprof. Some good friends of mine in Datteln, Germany have a steel cruiser called Seeadler, they were curious about our boat name so we exchanged the background stories.

Apparently a fairly common name in Germany. I've looked on the AIS tracking sites and seen several, including a tugboat in Kiel.

And Seeadler was the name of Admiral Reader's uncompleted aircraft carrier.

Last edited:
I once had a marina neighbor who named his boat John Galt. I thought it a little odd and not very creative until I realized that about every third passerby said, "who is John Galt?"

I have had several people ask me if we were going to change the name of our Charlie Noble, when I tell we are keeping the name they ask why would we want to keep the last owners name as the name of our boat. So we have to explain that it is not the last owners name and the real meaning.

It is a great name.

I once had a marina neighbor who named his boat John Galt. I thought it a little odd and not very creative until I realized that about every third passerby said, "who is John Galt?"
Rand Paul might get that.

Hence the current boat's name "Galt's Gulch" and My company, John Gault Trucking. and yes I spelled the company wrong on purpose :)

In another note... Sometimes we choose names with meaning, as such here. Sometimes the meaning is for a good laugh, as in the previous boat name. I got more compliments and smiles and pointing and smiles out of that name than any other. I'm sure there were some that didn't approve. You can't please everyone. I'm sure the far left would hate the Libertarian reference of this one. Oh well. Again you can't please everyone. :)

If I remember correctly, the Charlie Noble was the galley stack on board ship.
That's the way I learned it in the Navy.

At the govt dock in Ucluelet BC; just saw a 20' sportfisherman named: Salt Shaker.

If I remember correctly, the Charlie Noble was the galley stack on board ship.
That's the way I learned it in the Navy.
Correct, and it got its name from a British merchant captain, Charlie Noble who on discovery of the stack being made out of copper would make his crew polish the stack and keep it shiny. His crew started calling the stack Charlie Noble.

And I have recently found out there is a real good spiced Rum of the same name. And like any good Captain, I like my rum. [emoji879]

A couple I like today in Ucluelet BC:

Pasatiempo
and
Castaway Charters

A lot of US Military Sealift Command ships are called Cape XXXX. I always kinda liked that idea.

I've been thinking a lot about boat names lately. Mine's called Sylphide (pronounced sill-feed), which is apparently a famous french ballet. I guess a Sylph is some sort of mythical air pixie or fairy or something. Part of me wants to keep the name, since she's had it since she was launched, but it doesn't mean anything to me, and I don't feel like explaining it forever.

Not sure what to go with, but 'Aluminum Falcon' popped into my head as something of a joke, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Aluminum Falcon is cute but too long for spelling to the coast guard.

Back
Top Bottom