Opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chris Craft Houseboat

Had a 46' version of this boat with twin 327 gassers and V-Drives. Great lake and river boat. Well built for it's purpose, but given it's age I would be wary of stringer and transom rot. These potential issues, and the modifications that have been done for the new drive train, really make me concerned for your safety in the potential sea conditions you could face.

Chances are the stainless fittings, etc., are the hardware variety, not marine. And the Cat 3208 was overhauled, cylinders, bored and sleeves inserted to use the original size pistons. The way these engines w/o replaceable sleeves get overhauled when oversize pistons aren't available.

You don't have to be in the open ocean to experience severe conditions. I boat mostly in Long Island Sound and even though it not more than 15 mile across, large and dangerous seas can build to where many boaters will stay home even with more seaworthy boats than this one.

Be very careful!

My input [if you will ever be in other than very, very calm waters] is to get a boat... not a "house" boat. Houses are designed for land. Boats are designed for water... simple as that!!

Point in fact:

1989 I was invited to spend long weekend aboard a similar, older "house" boat for a "week of - fun in the sun". We were in the SF Delta's calm waters. Upon crossing "Frank's Tract" [a small, shallow freshwater bay in the Delta] the wind suddenly, surprisingly picked way up and waves became 3' plus. Fellow who was at the helm had not a clue how to handle the boat nor where to tell the 10 people aboard how-to/where-to place themselves for weight distribution. Soon as he had dug the "house" boat's nose onto [virtually under] a fairly large wave; center front door of the superstructure broke open and water gushed in. The non seafaring passengers [every one aboard] were instantly agitated/scared. So... I began barking orders and took over the helm. Once I got all the persons' weight distributions in correct/steadfast ballast positions, and lowered the speed appropriately with a 20 degree change of bow to wave angle, the old "tub" went across the little bay riding over the waves. I became their hero and was named captain of that tub for the rest of vacation!

Moral of the story... Buy a boat! Not a "house"... if you are going to be on water that may experience much of any wave conditions.

:speed boat:

As they say, Bingo! to all the above.

Find one that has been properly marinized and outfitted for your plan.

You can make the interior what you want with a solid haul and diesel power plant—that haven’t been modified from their original design, save upgrades.

Look at some well cared for sundecks.

I have an 8 ft. AVON that says it is for ocean use, but I wouldn't trust it outside of a pond. :confused::confused:

That boat is about as ready for the ocean as my boat is ready for interstellar travel.

Lets Be Clear!

That is not a "boat"! It is a House Trailer with cleats, best cleated to the dock!

Welcome to TF:dance:

Chances are the stainless fittings, etc., are the hardware variety, not marine. And the Cat 3208 was overhauled, cylinders, bored and sleeves inserted to use the original size pistons. The way these engines w/o replaceable sleeves get overhauled when oversize pistons aren't available.
Being that this is in a mill town, and the boat was refit shortly after the Kraft mill closed, they are more likely to be a 2205 duplex or a 904L made after hours. :)

I agree with the bore and sleeve. Lots of logging equipment, so lots of HD mechanics and machinists around who know how to dry sleeve an engine.

I emailed the ad to try and provoke the owner to comment on this thread, but didn't take me up.

Instead I got a lot of photos and a few documents.

Not enough freeboard for long distance stuff but you'd be fine around the harbor. I see people in 13 foot whalers in my neck of the woods miles from shore all the time. Its doable. But those houseboat hulls are definitely meant for flat water.

Not enough freeboard for long distance stuff but you'd be fine around the harbor. I see people in 13 foot whalers in my neck of the woods miles from shore all the time. Its doable. But those houseboat hulls are definitely meant for flat water.

Heaven, I understand the point you are depicting and realize that you are trying to calm the jitters OP may have re purchasing this [or any] houseboat.

However, I feel I must caution newbies to be very careful thinking that there is any type of true correlation between how the super seaworthy 13'3" boston Whaler design and the non seaworthiness of nearly any size or weight of usually overloaded houseboat designs.

I owned and for many years used a 13'3" Boston whaler [with a 20 HP then 40 HP Johnson]... often times in rough New England offshore seas and some times in close to shore breakers. The Whaler design enables sports car like maneuvering as well as its design nature is to constantly float on top of water like a cork. Additionally, a Whaler is unsinkable due to its hull fabric design. Also, pitcock rear drain plug enables constant drainage as long as any forward speed is maintained and that plug can be put in or taken out at the drop of a hat by the pilot or passenger.

I have also piloted several house boats for their owners. Please believe me, houseboats do not hold a candle to the seaworthiness of a Whaler. They are designed for and are good for use in very calm water areas - ONLY!

:speed boat:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom