Old 07-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #41

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Congrats! Hope things go smooth!

(and the men in the little white coats are going to start looking for you if you really start lactating!)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #42
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Yes, very important to be very careful about an aluminum hull and electricity because aluminum is highly susceptible to any kind of stray current as it will cause very bad corrosion very fast.
Aluminum anodes are now very popular for good reason.
Definitely. I've been careful to pick a surveyor who's knowledgeable about aluminum boats, but I have a lot to learn on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Congrats Dave. Looks like a very cool boat.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Congratulations! Looks a well designed nicely fitted out boat, good for cruising and ample space to live aboard without feeling cramped. Keep the stars in your eyes under wraps while you do the "due diligence".
The space and layout grabbed me immediately. It was the same feeling I had when I walked into my house for the first time 11 years ago. It just felt like home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
congrats on the boat! when is the survey and sea trial?. interesting to hear what her speed and fuel consumption is..
Have Fun
HOLLYWOOD
Survey and sea trial are penciled in for next week. It's taken quite a while to find a surveyor. Several of the more reputable ones have retired recently, and many of the rest are booked solid to keep up with demand. A few turned me down just because they didn't have the equipment or skills to do an aluminum boat. I didn't expect it to be this tricky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalphreak View Post
Congrats! Hope things go smooth!

(and the men in the little white coats are going to start looking for you if you really start lactating!)
That's my backup plan! If things ever fall apart, I'll either join the circus, or start working for Ben & Jerry's.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #43
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Agreed, but I was impressed with the floating AC ground on that boat that does not connect with the hull or engine at all.
Could you please explain the principle, in a few words and point me to the picture where you spotted it?
Thank you.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 PM   #44
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
It's taken quite a while to find a surveyor. Several of the more reputable ones have retired recently, and many of the rest are booked solid to keep up with demand. A few turned me down just because they didn't have the equipment or skills to do an aluminum boat. I didn't expect it to be this tricky!
If needed call the mothership, MetalCraft, for a surveyor.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
If needed call the mothership, MetalCraft, for a surveyor.
I actually did try to contact them by email, but I never heard back. It might be worth giving them a call tomorrow. I'm really hoping to have a good relationship with them.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #46
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA and San Carlos, Sonora MX
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Ahh,,,Dave?

Remember who gets the first ride? It is either me or Northern Spy. We've been with you on this from the beginning before the bandwagon filled up.

I'd ask if you need crew to cross Lake Ontario but oh yeah, I guess you've been there, done that!

Good for you. I bet she surveys with flying colors since that is how she seems built.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
Ahh,,,Dave?

Remember who gets the first ride? It is either me or Northern Spy. We've been with you on this from the beginning before the bandwagon filled up.

I'd ask if you need crew to cross Lake Ontario but oh yeah, I guess you've been there, done that!

Good for you. I bet she surveys with flying colors since that is how she seems built.
Oh Bill, you guys are definitely on the list, haha. I'd be hard pressed to name anyone here I wouldn't welcome aboard. I've got a couple of TF burgees that I'm really looking forward to flying.

I may actually need some crew, specifically for the Welland Canal portion. I've never been all the way through there, and never on anything less than 600 feet, so that'll be an entirely new adventure. I believe I'll be required to carry two crew in addition to myself.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #48
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Very cool boat! Congrats and hope the survey goes well!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #49
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Interesting. Almost came back to NY this summer. Instead I sent my son. He's waxing the topsides of my parents Mainship at the Seneca Lake State Park marina this week.

Here is the boat I think your boat is modeled after, from the Derecktor website.

Check out that hard chine.

https://derecktor.com/history/1969-jim-hawkins/
Quote:
Oh Bill, you guys are definitely on the list, haha. I'd be hard pressed to name anyone here I wouldn't welcome aboard. I've got a couple of TF burgees that I'm really looking forward to flying.

I may actually need some crew, specifically for the Welland Canal portion. I've never been all the way through there, and never on anything less than 600 feet, so that'll be an entirely new adventure. I believe I'll be required to carry two crew in addition to myself.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969-Jim-Hawkins.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	91137
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #50

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
Congratulations and I hope all goes well next week for your survey. That is a beautiful boat!
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Interesting. Almost came back to NY this summer. Instead I sent my son. He's waxing the topsides of my parents Mainship at the Seneca Lake State Park marina this week.

Here is the boat I think your boat is modeled after, from the Derecktor website.

Check out that hard chine.
Oh yeah, I can definitely see some family resemblance there. Chop off a bunch of bow, and stretch that trunk cabin into a sundeck, and Bob's your uncle. I'm really curious to see how she feels underway. I'll find out a week from today!

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to never needing to wax this boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2Loop View Post
Congratulations and I hope all goes well next week for your survey. That is a beautiful boat!
Thank you!
Old 07-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #52
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Good to hear that you have the survey challenge conquered!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #53
Veteran Member

City: Bloomington/Manasota Key
Quote:
Incidentally, I'm looking forward to never needing to wax this boat.
Why would you think you'll not need to polish/wax. It's painted, correct? It's going to be outside in the weather and not inside an air-conditioned and heated building, right?

Color me confused,

Sidney
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #54

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
Man... that is one cool boat! I dig it!

Been living on my 44 since March... I'm always asked if it was better or worse than expected. Better in every way.

Here's to the survey and sea trial going well for you. Hope to meet up down in the Keys or elsewhere hopefully in 4-5 years if I can retire and get this Trojan on the Loop!!

Congrats!
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Good to hear that you have the survey challenge conquered!
So far so good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybull View Post
Man... that is one cool boat! I dig it!

Been living on my 44 since March... I'm always asked if it was better or worse than expected. Better in every way.

Here's to the survey and sea trial going well for you. Hope to meet up down in the Keys or elsewhere hopefully in 4-5 years if I can retire and get this Trojan on the Loop!!

Congrats!
Thanks! It's always reassuring to hear another success story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
Why would you think you'll not need to polish/wax. It's painted, correct? It's going to be outside in the weather and not inside an air-conditioned and heated building, right?

Color me confused,

Sidney
It's 100% possible that I don't know what I'm talking about. (I should probably make that my signature...) I was just going on something the current owner told me. It's not a glossy finish, so I was perfectly willing to believe him.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #56
Veteran Member

City: Bloomington/Manasota Key
Quote:
It's 100% possible that I don't know what I'm talking about. (I should probably make that my signature...) I was just going on something the current owner told me. It's not a glossy finish, so I was perfectly willing to believe him.
Dave,

I read the for sale ad on Yachtworld and saw it said painted with epoxy. That's still a painted finish that is applied, in this case, over aluminum to keep the base material from degrading. Aluminum won't rot or rust but will corrode. If the epoxy used had a flattener added it won't shine no matter how much you polish it. However, it will still have weather, uv, birds, acid rain,...etc that should be cleaned off and a wax applied to protect it. A cleaner polish/wax should be enough to protect the finish. (It might also shine up nicely!)

You've got the right attitude and congrats on your purchase. Have fun in Florida.

Sidney
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #57

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Looking
Dave:

Your post from July 30, 2018 was my favorite posting ever on this forum. For those who haven't seen it, Dave talked about how he had finally found the resolve, and formed a plan, to buy a liveaboard boat.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...man-39728.html

So when I saw this thread, my first thought was "Woohoo! Dave is on his way!" I showed it to hubby Dan, and as we sat in the cockpit watching the sun go down, in our berth on the Tennessee River last night, we raised a toast to Dave and his (hopefully) new boat.

We both really like your potential new boat/home. I hope she passes the surveys with flying colors.

And I have a question, too. It appears you are 3 and 1/2 years ahead of schedule of the plan you formulated in 2018. If you don't mind sharing, what changed? Did you already sell your house?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #58
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Dave
That's great news... really like the look, lines and layout.
It looks like a very livable boat... best of luck w the due diligence and closing.
I think I've been in that yard w the commercial builds going on.
Have you picked where to fly your TF burgee yet??
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Dave:

Your post from July 30, 2018 was my favorite posting ever on this forum. For those who haven't seen it, Dave talked about how he had finally found the resolve, and formed a plan, to buy a liveaboard boat.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...man-39728.html

So when I saw this thread, my first thought was "Woohoo! Dave is on his way!" I showed it to hubby Dan, and as we sat in the cockpit watching the sun go down, in our berth on the Tennessee River last night, we raised a toast to Dave and his (hopefully) new boat.

We both really like your potential new boat/home. I hope she passes the surveys with flying colors.

And I have a question, too. It appears you are 3 and 1/2 years ahead of schedule of the plan you formulated in 2018. If you don't mind sharing, what changed? Did you already sell your house?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Well that's awfully kind of you to say! Cheers to the Trombley crew!

This all crept up on me a lot sooner than I was expecting, for sure. I haven't sold the house. It's not even listed yet. In fact my kitchen remodel still isn't quite done, lol. I guess I won't get to enjoy that new kitchen I've been looking forward to for the last ten years. It's a shame really, it was coming out so nicely. Oh well. It'll make the house a lot easier to sell at least.

I only ended up saving about 20k of the original goal by the time I found this boat. It was listed for only a little over half of my original budget, so I figured I'd just have a look. Why not, right?

I knew she was a winner as soon as I stepped on her dock. She looks like she was built three years ago. After a few hours of poking around and talking with the owner, I knew it was an opportunity I'd regret not taking. She just felt like home.

I'll end up financing more than I'd originally planned, but not too much more, and not an amount I'm uncomfortable with. I guess that's just going to be the price I pay for getting to jump the line.

...Hopefully. Fingers crossed for the survey next week!
Old 07-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Dave
That's great news... really like the look, lines and layout.
It looks like a very livable boat... best of luck w the due diligence and closing.
I think I've been in that yard w the commercial builds going on.
Have you picked where to fly your TF burgee yet??
You bet your biscuits I have! It's going on the starboard halyard. I don't know if that conforms to even a single rule, but I don't care... lol.