New Canada Entrance Rules Take Effect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We crossed into the USA today (land crossing) Proof of vaccine was required (like Canada) but no pcr or rapid test. So, the same so far as I can tell.

Strange there is no mention on the internet like there was when Canada announced scrapping it. All links still want the one day rapid test to enter US.
Maybe you got an anti vax border guard who could care less.

Strange there is no mention on the internet like there was when Canada announced scrapping it. All links still want the one day rapid test to enter US.

It used to be different of flying in vs a land/sea crossing. It's also different if you are a US citizen or not.

Flying in required testing for US and non-US citizens.

Land/sea did not require testing for US citizens. Not sure about non-US citizens.

US Citizens don't need to be vaxed, but it sounds like non-US citizens do.

Anyway, my point is that when the new rules, you need to be clear on

1) What method of crossing

2) Citizenship

3) Which country you are entering.

There are a lot of permutation.

Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated Canadian travellers must still get tested.

They'll get a molecular test on arrival and on the eighth day after arrival. These travellers must quarantine for 14 days — regardless of their test results during that period.

On the way out of the airport @ Toronto there was an official asking for passport. I asked why, we are already in Canada, have cleared customs. Apparently unknowingly passports had a sticker placed on them. Green, good to go, pink over there for testing. Random testing even if you had a negative test. That was two weeks ago. Rapid changes for incoming in the past month incoming to Canada.

We flew from Sidney to Seattle/Phoenix a few days ago. There is a rapid testing site at the airport which we signed up for. Once tested they sent an email saying negative, we had to show it at ticket counter along with vaccine cards and passports.

As TT said, your mode of travel, citizenship etc determines requirements. Bottom line, without vaccine card Canadian border crossing gets complicated or barred.

We flew from Sidney to Seattle/Phoenix a few days ago. There is a rapid testing site at the airport which we signed up for. Once tested they sent an email saying negative, we had to show it at ticket counter along with vaccine cards and passports.

As TT said, your mode of travel, citizenship etc determines requirements. Bottom line, without vaccine card Canadian border crossing gets complicated or barred.

Indeed we had ro show vaccine proof but we are Canadian citizens and no other test required

My first thought/hope was thar Nexus would be back in effect....phone-in clearing. But having to present a vax card for inspection upon entry means no Nexus.

My first thought/hope was thar Nexus would be back in effect....phone-in clearing. But having to present a vax card for inspection upon entry means no Nexus.

It's actually better than NEXUS now. You need to use the ArriveCAN app or website to pre-announce your arrival, and upload proof of vaccination, etc. So it's all done in advance. We stopped at the customs dock in Port Sidney, but everything was done via phone.

It's actually better than NEXUS now. You need to use the ArriveCAN app or website to pre-announce your arrival, and upload proof of vaccination, etc. So it's all done in advance. We stopped at the customs dock in Port Sidney, but everything was done via phone.

Thanks...good to know.

Our crossing one week ago at Peace Arch was slick.
I handed over our passports, answered the questions about value of good, amount of alcohol, etc and we were told to "have a nice day". I asked if he wanted to see our "ArriveCan" QR code. He told me he had them on his screen already, due to the link to our passports. The whole process took less than a minute.

I needed the rapid test to enter the US last week.

At this point flying back into the USA still requires Covid Test result even for US citizens. I don't know about flying into Canada. Driving or Boating into Canada or the USA does not require a Covid Test at this time for US citizens. US citizens will need to show proof of vaccination to be admitted to Canada. I do not know the rules for Canadian Citizens entering the US.

• As of November 8, 2021, all non-U.S. citizens, non-U.S. immigrant international travelers coming to the U.S. by air must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accepted vaccines include FDA-approved or authorized or WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.
  • All air passengers age two and older traveling to the U.S. must be tested for COVID-19 before their flight. This rule includes U.S. citizens and everyone who has already been vaccinated. Travelers must show proof of their negative results before boarding their plane.
    • As of December 6, 2021 If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.

And on the same page:

U.S. citizens traveling to the U.S. by land or sea aren't required to get tested for COVID-19 or show their vaccination status before entering the U.S. Check with the U.S. embassy travel fact sheets for Canada and Mexico to stay aware of updates to travel requirements. Also check the COVID-19 rules in the city or state where you are entering the U.S.

https://www.usa.gov/covid-passports-and-travel

https://ca.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-canada-3/
Land border restrictions for travel to the United States remain in effect. Fully vaccinated foreign travelers are able to travel to the United States across the Northern and Southwest borders with Canada and Mexico. Travelers who enter the United States at land POEs and ferry terminals do not require proof of a negative test; in addition, U.S. citizens and LPRs do not need to provide proof of vaccination status at land POEs and ferry terminals
Rapid test to US By land, no. By air, still yes.

At this point flying back into the USA still requires Covid Test result even for US citizens. I don't know about flying into Canada. Driving or Boating into Canada or the USA does not require a Covid Test at this time for US citizens. US citizens will need to show proof of vaccination to be admitted to Canada. I do not know the rules for Canadian Citizens entering the US.

Just read the new guidelines and it seems to suggest you do NOT need to be vaccinated to come into Canada.

Here's the whole section:
What about unvaccinated travellers (including kids)?
They'll get a molecular test on arrival and on the eighth day after arrival. These travellers must quarantine for 14 days — regardless of their test results during that period.
The Canadian government has outlined three accepted types of test and that specific conditions that apply to each.
Children under five years old do not need a pre-entry test.
Generally speaking, unvaccinated foreign nationals are not allowed to travel to Canada. There are some very limited exceptions.
Those 12 years of age plus four months or older who are not considered fully vaccinated still cannot board a train, plane or ferry in Canada.
Medevac flights and private flights that do not require access to an airport with a vaccine requirement are excluded.

QUESTION IS: can we 'quarantine' on our boat or haveta go to one of their designated prison hotels?

Last edited:
Are you a Canadian traveler or a US traveler going to Canada?

Generally speaking, unvaccinated foreign nationals are not allowed to travel to Canada. There are some very limited exceptions.

Last edited:
Did you read the last post?

SEEMS like foreigners CAN come in but with a two week quarantine sans vaxx.

Just read the new guidelines and it seems to suggest you do NOT need to be vaccinated to come into Canada.

Here's the whole section:
What about unvaccinated travellers (including kids)?
The Canadian government has outlined three accepted types of test and that specific conditions that apply to each.
Children under five years old do not need a pre-entry test.
Those 12 years of age plus four months or older who are not considered fully vaccinated still cannot board a train, plane or ferry in Canada.
Medevac flights and private flights that do not require access to an airport with a vaccine requirement are excluded.

QUESTION IS: can we 'quarantine' on our boat or haveta go to one of their designated prison hotels?

The "unvaccinated or partially vaccinated" refer to Canadian travelers=citizens of Canada.

That is how I interpret the sentence.

Back
Top Bottom