Navigation question(s)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paws2u

Vessel Name
Sea Y'all
Have offer on a 38' Vista sundeck with survey March 15. We will be investigating electronics but truthfully have not really ever used navionics on our sailboat or bass boat! This is what our "almost" trawler has now:

Garmin 948V Echomap
Garmin 48
Datamarine 690
Si-Tex Radar
Saturn Compass
RayPilot 650 Auto Pilot
14" Radar Reflector
Oceanus (DSC) VHF Radio
Standard Horizon Intrepid VHF Radio
Uniden Hand Held VHF Radio
Engine Room and Stern cameras

It only has an upper (flybridge) helm. We were wondering about devices to use, laptops, phones, etc.? We know redundancy is important...and, honestly, that's about it! We are more than willing to read, research, ask forums and professionals. I have researched Trawler Forum, but the majority of the posts are so technical...well, we are not really sure what we are reading. Sorry to be soooo green and we are thanking you in advance for your kind assistance in confusing but very important matter.

This is just me, but I'd upgrade the radar to the new Garmin Fantom radar, you only need an 18 inch. I'm not getting a hit on the Garmin 948V but I am getting a hit on the Garmin 948sv (the more letters the better). I'm assuming your Garmin is that model. If it is then I think it is NMEA 2000 compliant so should work with the new Garmin radar, but I could be wrong. It you are interested go to the "Hull Truth" into the marine electronics section and ask if the 948V (confirm the model) will handle radar.

By the way, most would not upgrade your radar, I just prefer how information is presented with the new Garmin Fantoms.

We are in Winston, Georgia. We are also researching a Vista M/Y, and all we see looks positive.

The reason I asked about an upper helm only boat is that in the PNW it is less desirable assuming you want to use the boat beyound seasonal use. But down south where you are an upper helm only probably is just fine.

start off with what's on the boat. Use it and change in future -you really don't need radar on the AICW if that's where you will be boating.
Consider Aquamaps on your iPhone/iPad or equivalent Android phone/tablet as a back up. This will give you a completely independently powered source of navigation, plus all the Waterways Guide & Active Captain info. Spring for the Masters version if on the AICW to get the USACE sonar data for the shallow trouble spots

Personally I would not change anything unless it simply won't work.
Use it for a period, 6 months to a year. You may have very different ideas about what you need/want after that period.

As for tablets and computers my wife and I have found they work well for a chart plotter function, Navionics. I use two of them , my wife one, all of them with GPS.

If you are funding limited you don’t need a pad with internal gps. A used basic pad with an external Bluetooth or WiFi gps is cheaper and perhaps a bit more accurate.

Just my thoughts, load Navionics on your phone or if you have a tablet. Then buy the book "Weekend Navigator" by Bob Sweet. Play with the app, and if you need more help sign up for a USCG Auxiliary class, many are low cost, and just a few hours a week, some are even on-line now.

I would hold off on buying any new equipment for the boat until after you have it about 3-6 Months unless something is broke.

Thank you all so very much for all the response. We will take your advice and wait while we research and truly realize what we need. Thank you again!
Patty & Bill
Sea Y'all

We traveled thousands of miles with an old small Garmin 192c and of course radar and depth finder and autopilot
You don’t need the latest most expensive to navigate.
Charts were our back up.
Learn to use what’s on the boat if it works. If you find something doesn’t give you what you NEED then make some changes.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom