Moving up. Boat #2. Round 1.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
round sofa

that round sofa is a nice gathering place, also comes with a pole for dancing, very nice add....just kidding about the pole but i doubt i am the only one who thought that....beautiful boat, best of luck

Very nice boat.

But thing if it did have a pole dancer. Would fun to watch as the boat rolls

This is a wonderful boat! I love that design and this one looks to be really well refitted...I have been aboard two of these and both were in need of much work. Well found!

Update.
Survey and sea trial went swimmingly. A handful of issues found.
The big question mark concerns the Mastervolt 11k generator in it with 58 hrs. Apparently Mastervolt is out of the generator business but the genny might be supported by whisperpower who I think is still in business. Hopefully some one can chime in and educate me as to parts availability.
The rest of the issues are mostly honey-doo’s. Clamp here , grounding wire there, Scoops on the water intakes, etc. I don’t have the complete survey, but I did get the full rundown verbally. No big issues other than the possible lack of support for generator which may be big. I’m waiting to find out more, but I hope parts are available.
Another issue was the some of the sails are difficult to raise and take down due to them being high off the deck. I’m considering an in boom furling system if anyone has direct experience with modern systems can help point me in the right direction. As of now I’m leaning towards a Schaffer boom furling system for the main and mizzen as I believe it’s fairly reliable.

Glad the boat is in overall terrific shape. On the video, when in the aft cockpit, it was apparent how high that aft boom is. A furling system makes sense, otherwise a nimble crew is a must. Hope someone has a source/solution for genny parts. Good catch on that being a potential challenge. I'm guessing the bay was calm. Good to hear the deal still has potential.

bligh, have a look at Forespar's LeisureFurl. It is the favorite of many cruisers.

bligh, have a look at Forespar's LeisureFurl. It is the favorite of many cruisers.

Im interested, but a rigger just told me 25 grand for a boom not including labor. So someone has their numbers wrong. Still researching

Im interested, but a rigger just told me 25 grand for a boom not including labor. So someone has their numbers wrong. Still researching

Ok the rigger says 25 grand including labor for the boom furler. So now we are looking at a different solution.

Ok the rigger says 25 grand including labor for the boom furler. So now we are looking at a different solution.

As a data point, when I was looking at getting one for my previous boat I found a
used one for sale but it was too short, maybe 18-20 ft. That was about 6 years ago.

As a data point, when I was looking at getting one for my previous boat I found a
used one for sale but it was too short, maybe 18-20 ft. That was about 6 years ago.

Did you mean thousand instead of ft?

We had North Sails build "Stack Packs" for our cat ketch. We leave the halyards attached and designed a really sweet single line reef system everything on an electric winch. That was our old folks solution to what was a major PITA. Now it's a minor PITA.

By the way, that's an incredible yacht.
THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER !

Did you mean thousand instead of ft?
I mean it was too short to buy and use in place of my 23 ft. boom.
Being used, it was priced at about $6-8 thousand.

Hi Bligh, was wondering if you've been able to wade through all the upgrades and reports. Such a beauty but with some baggage. Cheers.

I missed this thread somehow. What a beautiful boat! Congrats!

I have a motorsailer with a short 40’ sloop rig and it works great for stabilization. I don’t think you will miss having active fins. Plus the sails are more fun!

What makes the sails hard to raise? How tall are the masts? I have an in mast furling main and it’s pretty easy to deploy but hard to roll in if not directly into the wind. I’ve gotten surprised a few times by storms when not paying attention and it’s not easy to reef quickly. I kind of wish I would have gone with a simple hanked on main now so I could lower it quickly if I get surprised by a storm.

Last edited:
Hi Bligh, was wondering if you've been able to wade through all the upgrades and reports. Such a beauty but with some baggage. Cheers.

Yes, We took ownership of the LLC last week. Spent the weekend aboard. So far no surprises. Lots of systems to learn. I figured out the holding tank(s) system pretty quick. Next visit will be the water and fuel. I think all the tanks have dipsticks as i found the dipsticks and have not found any gauges except for the holding tanks. Once I figure out the fuel system and repair the generator, I'll feel comfortable to leave the dock.

I will add the boat is really stunning. The new and old woodwork is really amazing along with the general condition of the vessel. The family likes it. Before she heads north, we are installing a new thruster, anew stack pack for the main, a new roller furling system for the main and all new canvas. I'm hoping for a November trip north.

Congrats on the purchase. Lot's of effort, time and money has/will pay off. The sail/rigging upgrades will make it a pleasure to use the sails as they were meant to be. Dip sticks are always accurate!! LOL. Hoping the genset work is uncomplicated.

I will add the boat is really stunning. The new and old woodwork is really amazing along with the general condition of the vessel. The family likes it. Before she heads north, we are installing a new thruster, anew stack pack for the main, a new roller furling system for the main and all new canvas. I'm hoping for a November trip north.

What a great classroom for the boys! Maybe you could post some videos of the crew on the way up the coast. Will the boys be with you?

Back
Top Bottom