Old 04-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
MFD Angle

We're approaching decision time for mounting a 12" display at the helm. The Manatee has a slightly up sloped center "dash" & we have at least 3 MFD mounting options. We do want to keep the MFD centered. A standard simple trunnion mount, a NavPod encapsulated mount or building a fixed fiberglass console as another Manatee owner already has. Sorry, can't recall who... ident please for radar identification.

The first two allow angle adjustment, the third does not but it is our current preferred style.

Our question is: What is the preferred angle of viewing the MFD...Straight on or tilted back at what degree?

Or...because the Manatee's pilot house is so bright & glare can be a problem, maybe having the MFD at a fixed angle might not be the best option lending us to re-consider the NavPod. Your thoughts please.

Thx, PD
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Right off the bat, I'd say see how your display handles the sun. I was concerned about my Garmin install (flybridge with just a bimini - lots of illumination) and discovered it's just not a problem. I think (from what I've seen) that most displays are similarly capable. My upper helm layout is such that, with reference to the helmsman, the display is off to the left about 45 degrees and down (from eye height) maybe 12-18".

I chose the NavPod enclosure. It has enough freedom of movement (if that's the right phrase) to perfectly position the display. Added bonus - that enclosure is tight! - been through a lot of weather and seas with it. No problems over 3-4 years with heat dissipation. And it still looks like new.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote