Marine Stoves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course propane is a great way to cook also, but a bit more dangerous. One must have an LP solenoid value if using Propane for cooking and heating.

Every professionally installed Propane system in boats for the last 40 yrs has a solenoid at the tank end of the distribution line. Proper installation is the key, but that is so trivial and so effectively makes propane a safe fuel that there really is no debate at all about safety.
The really dangerous fuel for cooking is alcohol, as the flame is not easily seen. I have personally witnessed 2 boats burn to the WL from alcohol galley fires. I have not ever witnessed a propane fire on a boat. I do inspections for my YC and have found and had the owners correct a few poor installations, but have still not seen any propane fires, nor have I heard of any in the boating community I occupy.
Electrical, yes, I know of 2 boats burned up in my own YC from boat end shore power connections burning up. Used to have a display board of dozens of blackened Marinco connections.
So don't perpetuate the myth of Propane being dangerous. Be respectful, cautious and safe.

They finished the Corian yesterday. I still have some woodwork to do around the convection/microwave, including the power vent between oven and cooktop.
Ian.Did you have to remove the original countertop for the Corian install? It looks terrific.

Every professionally installed Propane system in boats for the last 40 yrs has a solenoid at the tank end of the distribution line.

Ha. Make that 35 years because my 84 Manatee doesn’t have one (was an issue on the survey) and an LP solenoid is curiously hard to find in the Great State of Florida. But even when we eventually put the solenoid in and get the whole LP rig hooked back up, I would not be the least bit surprised to find the ancient Princess gas range is not working, so this thread is very timely.

Though I have only ever cooked with gas at home and generally hate electric stoves, I am very intrigued by the idea of ripping the whole mess out and putting in a TrueInduction 2-burner induction cook top and a Samsung convection microwave with a drop down (oven style) door below it which would fit nicely in the 22” wide space in my current galley configuration.

My great plan was crushed when I saw the clearance requirements for the microwave. Back to the drawing board. Maybe I’ll learn to do stove-top baking from Imp on my Click2Cook butane burner? ;-)

I dont like the risk of having GAS on board. We do have guest ocvcsionally that have no understanding of Boats which increases the risk. Your Generator should have the power to run an electric stove. This is what we do and we also have a multifunctuional electric oven . Good luck. Leo

Ian.Did you have to remove the original countertop for the Corian install? It looks terrific.

Thanks, John. We’re really pleased with how it turned out. The backsplash around the window frames is a test for any installer.

I removed the 1/2” ply and laminate over the refrigerators. The Corian was a perfect drop-on replacement and allowed us to retain the fiddles surrounding that surface.

The U-shaped galley was installed over the laminate but was not as straightforward. We didn’t want fiddles on the inside of the U—only on the one side where a spill would reach the settee upholstery. Also, on our boat, the portion of counter with the sink in it wasn’t on the same plane with the rest; it sloped aft slightly. So that area had to be shimmed to make the entire surface level.

Finally, the Corian is not uniformly glued to the laminate—only in spots—with gaps under the backsplash allowing for differences in expansion and contraction. It really helps to have a knowledgeable installer.

We installed the new surface over the existing laminate

best stove EVER

had a propane stove for 26 years on our trawler. sorry, don't remember the name (believe it or not) but i'll look for it and will post a pic when i find one.
4 burners on top, a small (5" high) separate broiler and a decent oven. marine "rated", never a problem, made in new zealand, i believe. can't emphasize enough that in 30+ years of cruising i never saw a better stove. plumbed with a propane-rated hose to (3) 5# propane tanks in a cooler on flybridge (air-tight and vented, right ?) Never needed a refill during our 5 month season in New England. Bought the stove at a Providence company, will try to remember that as well.

trying to att a pic

s/s shield was made for me by a co i worked for
really simple once you get your hands on a piece of 14ga s/s

Attachments

• galley.jpg
    galley.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 63
Every professionally installed Propane system in boats for the last 40 yrs has a solenoid at the tank end of the distribution line. Proper installation is the key, but that is so trivial and so effectively makes propane a safe fuel that there really is no debate at all about safety. .:socool:.
So don't perpetuate the myth of Propane being dangerous. Be respectful, cautious and safe.

Respectfully disagree. I lost a friend to a propane explosion; his son was seriously burned. It was in an RV, not a boat, but my friend was still killed by propane. Two little girls were killed in a propane explosion in a boat on my dock in Newport Beach. I use propane in my home, have used it for years on my boat & plan to install it, if necessary, on my next boat. However, I use propane with caution & urge others to do the same.

Exposed propane line on upper deck of a live aboard across from me was stepped on by guest, upstream of solenoid before entering cabin. Fumes ran down into aft cabin, heater kicked on and boom. I had pieces of his transom land on my boat.

previous response & pic: "best stove ever"

new owner sent me info - maker was Mariner Ovens Ltd of Auckland New Zealand
Unfortunately it appears they are out of business.
Still best stove ever...................

Exposed propane line on upper deck of a live aboard across from me was stepped on by guest, upstream of solenoid before entering cabin. Fumes ran down into aft cabin, heater kicked on and boom. I had pieces of his transom land on my boat.

People get into car accidents every day.... but do you stop driving?

Everything has its risks. But just like being a defensive driver can keep you safe, so can being proactive about boat safety.

People get into car accidents every day.... but do you stop driving?

Everything has its risks. But just like being a defensive driver can keep you safe, so can being proactive about boat safety.

Yeah, and being proactive to some is not having gas aboard. Just sayin’

Yeah, and being proactive to some is not having gas aboard. Just sayin’

I'm one who gave example of the potential dangers of propane, including an accident in which I lost a friend. However, given proper safety practices, I still consider it my cooking fuel of choice both at home & on board. I live in coastal NC, where we got hit last fall with TWO hurricanes within a few days. My propane range allowed me to cook right through the storms & the lengthy aftermath (7 months later I still have a huge hole in the roof of my home in Oriental). Although I've owned several boats with different types of cooking fuel & cruised extensively, to me propane also is my favorite choice at sea. It is efficient even when I'm powering under sail, wind generator or solar; doesn't tie me to a dock; allows me to keep the galley going on lengthy passages; & keeps me a good quiet neighbor who doesn't need to run a noisy generator when I share an anchorage. Yes, above all, safety, whether I'm home, in a car (where my dog also wears a seat belt), or at sea--but I love that I can keep my stovetop pressure cooker or oven producing great meals without being tied to an electrical cord or disturbing the sea sounds I love.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom