Luggers and Napa auto parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trawlercap

Vessel Name
JoAhna K
Vessel Make
58' Bill Garden Trawler 1952
I recently changed the Lube Oil on my Northern Lights gen set. I was please to find the oil/fuel filter on the shelf at Napa auto parts. Same for the main engines...:) The guy at the counter told me they could get many of the engine parts if I gave them a heads up. I heard somewhere these were marine version of a Deere tractor engine..I like that.

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_9942.jpg

I often look at Napa first for filters, various fittings,oil,gaskets,O rings etc with success and lower cost.

Yep -- I learned that lesson with my fuel filters, oil pressure senders and a few other things. Half the price and as far as I can tell, identical to the "marine" version. Wouldn't do that for everything, like my marine spark-arrested alternators, but for lots of maintenance things, NAPA is a great source.

A lot of NAPA filters are manufactured by Wix. If you add a 5 to the front of the Napa part number you will have the WIX part number. For example NAPA 1459 is the same as Wix 51459. Sometimes it’s easier to get Amazon Prime delivery than a bike ride to a Napa store.

A lot of NAPA filters are manufactured by Wix. If you add a 5 to the front of the Napa part number you will have the WIX part number. For example NAPA 1459 is the same as Wix 51459. Sometimes it’s easier to get Amazon Prime delivery than a bike ride to a Napa store.

Seconded. Many of the Napa filters are WIX. I think the other supplier they use is either Baldwin or Donaldson (can't remember which).

I just ordered an air filter for my truck from Amazon for about $40. The local parts store was selling the same filter for a bit over $80! The store was out of stock too.

This is for a very common air filter and I have had the same issue with oil filters being out of stock. My JD dealer could sell me filters for the same price or less than the car part stores which often were out of stock. Amazon just makes it easier to buy. :D

At the NL training a couple years ago Bob Senter specifically mentioned that NL had their filters manufactured to a spec they created. They found that generic filters didn't meet the needs of their application. Something about the relief valve? I don't remember the specific reason..

An excellent training opportunity for those who want to invest the time.

Glad your NAPA store is working well for you. The NAPA chain on Delmarva has the filters for my JD, but they can be as expensive as the dealership. Buying my WIX or NAPA stuff online dropped the price by 60%. I support my dealer when buying JD parts, but I choose what I want to use when buying oil and filters.

Ted

At the NL training a couple years ago Bob Senter specifically mentioned that NL had their filters manufactured to a spec they created. They found that generic filters didn't meet the needs of their application. Something about the relief valve? I don't remember the specific reason..

I too have attended Bob's excellent class. However, Shibaura manufactures most all of NL's 3 cylinder engines. I would be very surprised if WIX did not make their filters to their standards.

Glad your NAPA store is working well for you. The NAPA chain on Delmarva has the filters for my JD, but they can be as expensive as the dealership. Buying my WIX or NAPA stuff online dropped the price by 60%. I support my dealer when buying JD parts, but I choose what I want to use when buying oil and filters.

Ted
Most (if not all)NAPA stores are individually owned and can, and do, set their own prices. Where i am from, if I go online and look up a part at my local store, the price can be significantly different from the price of a store 20 miles away when I change stores on their web page. It pays to check different stores in your area to find the store that has better pricing.

Your engine room makes me jealous

Most (if not all)NAPA stores are individually owned and can, and do, set their own prices. Where i am from, if I go online and look up a part at my local store, the price can be significantly different from the price of a store 20 miles away when I change stores on their web page. It pays to check different stores in your area to find the store that has better pricing.

Delmarva is a rural area with some smaller cities. I guessing there are maybe 25+ NAPA stores owned by the same family / company. Unless you spend $300 or more a month, your price is about retail at all their stores. Businesses like Ace and True value hardware do the same where a family has a region that is exclusively theirs. Many chains or franchises operate this way in more rural areas. A former customer of mine married into a family with 15 McDonald's restaurants.

Ted

Amazon delivery is usually too slow if it’s anything you need soon, but I order filters ahead in bunches from them and always have spares on hand. Our local NAPA store in Juneau has a good marine inventory if you need something that day.

That's why it's always worth reading the detailed specs on oil filters. Sometimes there are 3 different part numbers that fit, but only one of them is actually correct in terms of things like relief valve pressure.

I had the Cummins and Onan combo in my Diesel Pusher RV, and Napa was my go to when on the road. Local here in So Cal, parts are easy to find, both for my Yanmar and for my pusher.

As far as other NL parts, like water pumps, I've found that the NL dealers was very competitive or even cheaper than other sources. For instance, the equivalent Jabsco impeller was usually more, and it's the identical part.

Amazon delivery is usually too slow if it’s anything you need soon, but I order filters ahead in bunches from them and always have spares on hand. Our local NAPA store in Juneau has a good marine inventory if you need something that day.

I think that depends on where one is located and what one orders. The air filter I needed arrived in less than 24 hours from Amazon. And for half the price at the local store that was out of stock in the local store. Not the first time that has happened either. I once had to go to three stores to get an oil filter that is quite common. :facepalm:

For common consumables like oil filters, I always keep an extra set on the boat. Then when I need them, I have them on hand already and I can find or order replacements when I can get them (instead of needing them right away).

For common consumables like oil filters, I always keep an extra set on the boat. Then when I need them, I have them on hand already and I can find or order replacements when I can get them (instead of needing them right away).

Agree. I keep a complete supply of everything necessary for at least one oil and coolant change onboard for engine and generator. No need for hurried purchase. Learned the hard way a couple years ago with the 15W40 shortage. Ever try to carry 4 gallons of oil on a bike? Lol!

I took that class, too -- yesterday in fact -- and Bob S said the same thing. He recommended only using marine OEM filters.

In discussion what he said was that OEM filters typically have some features that make them more robust or address various common problems. He showed a couple of examples of OEM vs generic where the OEM ones had guide pieces for better fit, anticorrosion elements (IIRC), etc. It didn't seem like trying to sell anything just pointing out the design differences.

We didn't ask whether those were specific to marine vs auto filters, within an OEM line, but I suppose they might be in some cases and not others.

I took that class, too -- yesterday in fact -- and Bob S said the same thing. He recommended only using marine OEM filters.

In discussion what he said was that OEM filters typically have some features that make them more robust or address various common problems. He showed a couple of examples of OEM vs generic where the OEM ones had guide pieces for better fit, anticorrosion elements (IIRC), etc. It didn't seem like trying to sell anything just pointing out the design differences.

I heard the same story. So I bought a genuine NL filter from an official NL dealer, and two Motorcraft filters that would fit. Why Motorcraft? Because I put on a Ford Motorsports 90 deg filter adapter to eliminate the mess of changing the sideways filter on the NL 6KW Shibaura engine, and it uses Motorcraft filters. I was told this is horrible as I now can't use the NL filter.

Anyway, I cut the NL and two Motorcraft filters apart and inspected and measured everything (and I have pictures to prove it). Both Motorcraft were somewhat higher quality than the NL. The relief valve is set to about the same pressure. The NL has a bottom relief valve which is the cheap version, the Motorcraft both had top relief valves, considered to be a lot better. The anti-drainback was silicone and higher quality on the Ford. Both Ford filters have substantially more filter area.

There is merit to the argument that gensets are a little different, as they start at full throttle/full rpm which you do not ordinarily do, and that could open the pressure relief. And I can understand NL and representatives of NL recommending their own filter - they know it and love it and make a profit from it. However after looking inside, I've got no regrets using the Motorcraft filter. I don't really care that much about the price (though the Motorcraft are about 1/3 the NL), but availability is much better, and not having to clean up the cup of oil spilt by the sideways filter is pure gold. That said there are certainly cheap filters out there that I would not use on anything. A filter cutter reveals a lot of sins.

I support NAPA as an alternative supplier for some items, however due diligence is needed.

Years ago bought two engine belts as a cheaper alternative to the OEM Westerbeke belts, more than half price.

Black dust covering the engine told me something was wrong, checked tension, alignment of components, eventually measured width and depth of belt and there were minimum but important differences on settings on the pulley grove.

will keep them for emergency only.

Napa often has a range of products with different prices and quality levels. You can buy a Gates Green Stripe belt from Napa, it is going to cost you a lot more than their cheapest offering, though likely a bit less than buying from the engine dealer. I don't believe any engine manufacturer in the world makes their own belts, they just house brand one.

Napa often has a range of products with different prices and quality levels. You can buy a Gates Green Stripe belt from Napa, it is going to cost you a lot more than their cheapest offering, though likely a bit less than buying from the engine dealer. I don't believe any engine manufacturer in the world makes their own belts, they just house brand one.

Agreed, plus there are multiple different sizes, profiles, etc. of belts, so just because a belt "fits" doesn't mean it's the correct belt.

I heard the same story. So I bought a genuine NL filter from an official NL dealer, and two Motorcraft filters that would fit. Why Motorcraft? Because I put on a Ford Motorsports 90 deg filter adapter to eliminate the mess of changing the sideways filter on the NL 6KW Shibaura engine, and it uses Motorcraft filters. I was told this is horrible as I now can't use the NL filter.

Anyway, I cut the NL and two Motorcraft filters apart and inspected and measured everything (and I have pictures to prove it). Both Motorcraft were somewhat higher quality than the NL. The relief valve is set to about the same pressure. The NL has a bottom relief valve which is the cheap version, the Motorcraft both had top relief valves, considered to be a lot better. The anti-drainback was silicone and higher quality on the Ford. Both Ford filters have substantially more filter area.

There is merit to the argument that gensets are a little different, as they start at full throttle/full rpm which you do not ordinarily do, and that could open the pressure relief. And I can understand NL and representatives of NL recommending their own filter - they know it and love it and make a profit from it. However after looking inside, I've got no regrets using the Motorcraft filter. I don't really care that much about the price (though the Motorcraft are about 1/3 the NL), but availability is much better, and not having to clean up the cup of oil spilt by the sideways filter is pure gold. That said there are certainly cheap filters out there that I would not use on anything. A filter cutter reveals a lot of sins.

That sounds great on the Motorcraft filter, thanks for sharing it!

As for the NL OEM comments I interpret it as saying "OEM will never be a bad choice." (In quality, as opposed to $) Other filters might be better but also might be significantly worse (esp when mixing auto vs marine). OEM will be at least good enough. +1 to Davil on the need for diligence.

As it happened Bob at NL was talking about main propulsion filters at the time (not gensets) and was praising Deere and Cummins filters in particular. Next time I'll ask him about Motorcraft though :)

Your engine room makes me jealous

Thanks, my first walk through, I stepped in through the full sized door and said "ok this is it"..:)

Oil filters were only one of the 75,000 SKU's of parts we wholesaled. The difference in oil filters and the cost is inside. What type and qualilty of filter paper is in there and how many actual square inches? When that paper is clogged, it bypasses. Higher quality paper and the more square inches, the longer it filters! Is the relief valve a piece of metal like the clicker the nun used in class? Or an actual coiled spring with a spring seat? The worst? FRAM. The best? Wix, Baldwin, and I believe it is NAPA gold that is a rebranded WIX.

Oil filters were only one of the 75,000 SKU's of parts we wholesaled. The difference in oil filters and the cost is inside. What type and qualilty of filter paper is in there and how many actual square inches? When that paper is clogged, it bypasses. Higher quality paper and the more square inches, the longer it filters! Is the relief valve a piece of metal like the clicker the nun used in class? Or an actual coiled spring with a spring seat? The worst? FRAM. The best? Wix, Baldwin, and I believe it is NAPA gold that is a rebranded WIX.

Some of the filter manufacturers make multiple significantly different quality levels. As an example, the cheap orange can Fram filters are pretty crappy. And more importantly, you can usually get a better filter for the same price. But their higher end filters (currently sold as the "ultra" line) have pretty good guts. Purolator makes decent filters as well, varying from a decent but nothing special budget filter to fairly good higher end filters.

WIX are a good product. Beware of the various "brand" names as the quality varies widely. One of the worst is FRAM, despite an old and established name. You can find several real world comparisons on YouTube. One guy I like for this is "Farm Project."

Back
Top Bottom