Looking for a liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kpetrey1

So sitting here thinking of a vessel to buy in roughly 18 months

I'm in my mid 40's , grew up around the ocean with smaller boats 18 to 28 ft for the last 25 yrs, but no liveaboards. The plan is to buy a liveaboard for 9 or 10 month stays a year. 2 people mostly with 4 people , a couple weeks at a time. Florida, East Coast, Bahamas and eventually the Caribbean (willing to wait on good weather windows) ..

Criteria :

45 to 55 ft motor sailor, pilothouse or trawler
US 300K budget for boat only.. (roughly 3K to 4K max monthly budget for monthly expenses. Rarely eating out and we don't drink)
2 or 3 staterooms
prefer an aft deck( sun deck)
prefer Lehmans or the like but open to DD or Cats with low HP
will run it slow 7 to 8 knots. Prefer 2 NM or more a gallon

Thoughts on the following boats

mid 80's Hatt 53 or 54
mid 80's to 90's Jefferson. 50 to 53Ft
any of the Taiwan made boats (Marine trader 50?)
Grand Banks 45 to 50ft
Defever 45 to 50ft
OA's
Viking MY

Willing to buy , for example a mid 80's Hatt 53 or 54 for 150-170K and put 100K into it. I would have 4 to 6 month full time free for the refit in South Fla, finding the right people, materials, etc. Would help out with the sweat equity doing minor projects and running arounds for all the parts and materials, though I have little skill besides a 5 day diesel basic course and my captains license, I know, no help..:lol:

So. please let me have it, the good, bad and ugly

Thanks Paul

Last edited:
First, great plan!

Regarding buying a boat....

The best value you will ever find is a boat that is priced high for what it is, but has been continuously upgraded by one or more thoughtful owners.

That is such an important concept to understand.

The worst value is a boat that needs upgrading even though the price seems much lower than the higher priced boat.

My opinion... find the very best example of a boat you like and pay whatever you can get the owner to accept.

I promise you will write back in a year and offer your thanks.

I'm with ksanders. Unless your use case and tastes are outside the norm I'd look for a turn key boat and keep $100k in a boat improvement/major maintenance fund. Use the boat for a while before planning any big spends. And understand that there will be unexpected big bills. Everything costs more than you think it should on these boats.

If you're planning to be tied up and plugged in your operating budget will be stretched very thin. Think carefully about your use case, and do the research on what the associated costs will be. That use case should also help inform your choice of boat and equipment.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Our 1979 Cheoy Lee LRC (46') should be on the market in the near future and she IS in FLL.

If you plan to berth your boat, finding a liveaboard-berth will be more difficult than finding the boat.

Welcome aboard. Have fun looking for the boat.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Our 1979 Cheoy Lee LRC (46') should be on the market in the near future and she IS in FLL.

RT - You plan purchasing replacement... bigger or smaller??

Greetings,
Mr. A. Alas, our long range cruising days are over. Looking for a good day boat. Smaller and faster for canal cruising and nearshore fishing. Maybe a run over to Bimini for a weekend. May go to inboard gas or outboard(s). She has served us well for 18 years but our boating style has evolved (devolved?) and it's time to move on.

Due to the current world state there is a modicum+ of deferred maintenance that must. IMO, be done (belts/hoses/impellers/varnish and general declutter etc.). I want the new custodians to be able to sail her off into the sunset with no worries.

I'll put her up here first to see if there's any interest before going with a broker OR simply go with a broker and let her/him handle things.

Greetings,
Mr. A. Alas, our long range cruising days are over. Looking for a good day boat. Smaller and faster for canal cruising and nearshore fishing. Maybe a run over to Bimini for a weekend. May go to inboard gas or outboard(s). She has served us well for 18 years but our boating style has evolved (devolved?) and it's time to move on.

Due to the current world state there is a modicum+ of deferred maintenance that must. IMO, be done (belts/hoses/impellers/varnish and general declutter etc.). I want the new custodians to be able to sail her off into the sunset with no worries.

I'll put her up here first to see if there's any interest before going with a broker OR simply go with a broker and let her/him handle things.

Mr. RT - All my best wishes in whatever may be for you and your close one's next moves. Hope you stay as contributor on TF... you are a kick n' a 1/2!

With items ongoing, we too have the becoming view of where sale of our stay-aboard sized boat may be discussed. Depending on lots... hoping to squeeze another couple years of full sized boat fun into our equation. Some of the developing slowdown is health. Exciting one is business of mine; which may detract for at least a few from any time for stay-aboard boating.

I can pretty much guarantee though - If I'm still upright and capable... there'll nearly always some sort/size/type of boat not far from my grasp to at least use on a limited time basis.

:speed boat: :thumb: :D

Greetings,
Mr. K. Sorry to hijack your thread...Back to the matter at hand:

Advice given so far is sound. I would also suggest you start "walking the docks" and try to go on as many different makes and models as possible. FLL should have several examples of any of the particular models you are currently interested in.

I say currently because as you board different vessels, you may alter your preferences. Web searching is all well and good but nothing equals an in person visit.

You have 18 months or so you plan. Don't be very surprised IF you find THE boat in short order. That being said, DO NOT ALLOW EMOTIONS TO CONTROL YOU DECISION. Apologies for yelling but you MUST be as pragmatic as possible. Remember: "Married in haste, we may repent at leisure." (William Congreve in his comedy of manners The Old Batchelour, 1693).

iu

First, great plan!

Regarding buying a boat....

The best value you will ever find is a boat that is priced high for what it is, but has been continuously upgraded by one or more thoughtful owners.

That is such an important concept to understand.

The worst value is a boat that needs upgrading even though the price seems much lower than the higher priced boat.

My opinion... find the very best example of a boat you like and pay whatever you can get the owner to accept.

I promise you will write back in a year and offer your thanks.
Ksanders, geez, thanks for this opinion as it fits our boat and this boat owner to a tee. Whoever gets our boat is going to get a gem. Our 1983 DeFever 44 is going on sale within 30 days. Anyone interested, keep an eye out in the classifieds. Boat is located in Chester, MD. It will carry a higher price but it is VERY well-equipped and is in top condition for its age.

Good luck in your search for the perfect boat. The advice to get on board as many vessels as possible makes sense. I went from thinking I had to have a standup engine room. Found out that most boats with that feature also were more difficult to get aboard and bring dogs and groceries etc onboard. Also a boat the size you are considering needs stabilization of some sort. Thrusters too. Find a boat that the previous owner popped for those bigger ticket items
You might want to get on a list for live a board now if you have a general location in mind for the home marina. Not easy to find

So sitting here thinking of a vessel to buy in roughly 18 months

I'm in my mid 40's , grew up around the ocean with smaller boats 18 to 28 ft for the last 25 yrs, but no liveaboards. The plan is to buy a liveaboard for 9 or 10 month stays a year. 2 people mostly with 4 people , a couple weeks at a time. Florida, East Coast, Bahamas and eventually the Caribbean (willing to wait on good weather windows) ..

Criteria :

45 to 55 ft motor sailor, pilothouse or trawler
US 300K budget for boat only.. (roughly 3K to 4K max monthly budget for monthly expenses. Rarely eating out and we don't drink)
2 or 3 staterooms
prefer an aft deck( sun deck)
prefer Lehmans or the like but open to DD or Cats with low HP
will run it slow 7 to 8 knots. Prefer 2 NM or more a gallon

Thoughts on the following boats

mid 80's Hatt 53 or 54
mid 80's to 90's Jefferson. 50 to 53Ft
any of the Taiwan made boats (Marine trader 50?)
Grand Banks 45 to 50ft
Defever 45 to 50ft
OA's
Viking MY

Willing to buy , for example a mid 80's Hatt 53 or 54 for 150-170K and put 100K into it. I would have 4 to 6 month full time free for the refit in South Fla, finding the right people, materials, etc. Would help out with the sweat equity doing minor projects and running arounds for all the parts and materials, though I have little skill besides a 5 day diesel basic course and my captains license, I know, no help..:lol:

So. please let me have it, the good, bad and ugly

Thanks Paul
We have been living on a Bayliner 4788 pilot house for three years . It’s a 1996.
We plan to sell later this year. We are now in our 70’s and pick
This particular boat because of its great floor plan and twin Cummins engines. hwschlosser@gmail.com

55' Cheoy Lee LRC

You might find a good fit with my boat which will go on the market in April. It is in a live aboard marina in Hollywood with a good chance at keeping the current slip. Cat 3208 naturals, stabilized, 2500 gal fuel, 400 gal water, 250 gal black water, water mkr, new garmin mfds, and on and on. You're welcome to come and see. If nothing else it will give you ideas of what you really want and need.

BTW; I plan to list with a broker at 295k.

Back
Top Bottom