Longterm Cruisers: What do you spend???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've just finished a year of living aboard and cruising from Seattle to Prince William Sound and then down to Mexico. I didn't keep track of the details, and frankly don't want to look through the CC bills to see where the money went. We had a fabulous time and it was well worth the cost!

We had very few boat breakdowns or maintenance costs. Probably averaged $500 per month, including divers to clean the bottom and people to clean the exterior at least once a month.

Moorage cost more than we expected. I'm confident we averaged at least $1000 a month in transient moorage. We spent a lot more time at docks in California and Mexico than we did further north, since it was new territory for us and we wanted easy access to communities we visited.

Diesel probably cost us at least $1500 a month. We ran the boat close to 1000 hours in the last year.

Boat insurance was cheap compared to health insurance! Together they totaled about $1500 a month.

Data plans, cell phones, Iridium Go, and PredictWind ran at least $500 a month.

We didn't skimp on food, off-boat local travel, restaurants, etc. and spent as much on that stuff as we did on the boat each month.

Did I mention it was worth it?!?

Back
Top Bottom