Living on the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We (late husband and I) had a small cabin on the waterfront in south Puget Sound. We had put a lot of work and $ into making it snug and comfortable. No dock because it would have been too long... after he died, the cabin just didn’t get used enough to justify keeping it, so I sold it and bought my current boat. I still think about that beautiful spot, but one house and a boat is plenty of work and expense for me!!

Morning view of Filucy Bay, taken from the deck

Attachments

• 46CACCD8-FC1E-4673-8064-42190F7A8EC3.jpg
    46CACCD8-FC1E-4673-8064-42190F7A8EC3.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 22
We lived on a lake before living here and now live just off the ICW on a river and canals. As to the worries, here's the items mentioned.

Home just over 30' from water, pool about 15' from water.

Hurricane. We prepare, have done what we can, and accept. Our home is built to 150 mph hurricane standards. In spite of common beliefs we're not in a location often hit.

Flood. Again looks can be deceptive. Never a flood that would reach our home. 6' is the record here and we're just beyond that. If we don't address environmental conditions the rising oceans could change that in our lifetime.

Our dock is concrete so low maintenance. Potential issues with sea walls but none so far.

As to extra maintenance due to being on the water, I don't think we encounter much. Perhaps because our home was built for it. We have no outdoor wood, home is concrete.

We likely have a little from running around on the patio and swimming and going in and out of the house but we have prepared for that.

We have no internal issues due to the humidity as we always have the air conditioning units on in one capacity or another and dehumidify as necessary.

Insurance. Expensive, but did drop some the year after we moved in when the house was removed from the prior high risk flood zone it was erroneously shown in.

Tide isn't an issue for us as our dredged depth is adequate and very moderate tides.

I'd say each waterfront area differs but I would look at the home construction and build relative to the location and at the specific location and risks, not generalities.

Now, I am also going to suggest another alternative. If waterfront is cost prohibitive or has maintenance or risks you aren't comfortable with you can get much of the benefit being close and also close to a marina. I know people who prefer condo living to houses and the condos have marinas. I love living on the water but built my addiction to boating, living in town and driving to the marina. Different ways work for different people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee
Another HUGE advantage of living on the water is just the cost of boat storage. The slip fees and costs have gone up dramatically in my neighborhood so that makes a huge cost that I'm avoiding.

Surely you paid a hell of a lot more for your waterfront house than those not on the water?
I know in this part of the world waterfront property with deep water access and a berth costs several times more than the house in the next suburb.

Quote:
Have thought of full time live a board, but would still need a place to dock

Not if you set the boat up right.
We haven't been on one in over 4 years.

Yes, waterfront is more expensive, but not double in my neck of the woods. However, for us folks that really use it, it's more than worth it. No marinas, no towing boats to the ramp, and the convenience of having the water toys in the back yard are alone worth it. Plus, I can launch my boat in less than 5 minutes for the most part.

Add in the view, sun sets, no neighbors behind. I'm fortunate to be rather secluded which my neighbor across the street doesn't have.

My overall maintenance is not significantly more that the guy across the street, except for the dock and seawall. However, that can be expensive at times.

But, yes, water IS more expensive.

Now, if I had a 60 ft yacht like you, that might be the answer for a live a board. Yes, I'm envious.

I've had a few water front homes... and my rentals have been excellent investments. They are safer and more predictable than stuff off the water, great appreciation, but lousy cash flow. Even the ones I've lived in have held excellent value.

Last edited:
We live on the water 365. No dirt for us. Wouldn't have it any other way so far.

The scenery from our 'back porch' changes any time we want it to.

Attachments

• 2019-11-30_SunrisePineIsland_DJI_0053 (Large) (1).jpg
    2019-11-30_SunrisePineIsland_DJI_0053 (Large) (1).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 23
  • EvergladesNationalPark_Moment2.jpg
    EvergladesNationalPark_Moment2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 25
  • SCOUT_BirdIsland_Dawn (Large).jpg
    SCOUT_BirdIsland_Dawn (Large).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 24
  • SCOUT_Sunset (Large).jpg
    SCOUT_Sunset (Large).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 25
  • EvergladesNationalPark_Moment.jpg
    EvergladesNationalPark_Moment.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 20
I grew up living on fresh water and now salt, but still water. I took thirty five years off in the interim living in the desert so I could earn the right to live on the water again like my parents had.
I shopped real estate on the water literally for ten years to find the right one to be literally at the waters edge. There is no price in terms of hassle that would make this not worth it to me.....

Attachments

• Port Hadlock Sunset again.jpg
    Port Hadlock Sunset again.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 22
We live on the water 365. No dirt for us. Wouldn't have it any other way so far.

The scenery from our 'back porch' changes any time we want it to.

Yeah, but if also changes to what you don't want it too.

I just retired and I'm seriously thinking of moving to Marathon FL and finding a place where I can have a boat at my own dock.

It's VERY pricey in Marathon..whew.

I did find a tiny 1bdrm, 1-1/2 bath moble home on a tiny lot with a 30ft dock in back that is on a channel leading to the Atlantic.

185,000.00 with 185.00/mo HOA and 163.00/mo property tax. So it is pricey for a dive with a dock.

I also found a few slips, you have to purchase the slip and that gives you the right to pay a maintenance fee to the marina every month to use it...even though you own it...it's odd to a country boy like me.

I found one that can handle a 81ft boat but it is 160,000.00
Who knew it could be so pricey to have a boat!? I can afford it but Gawd Amitey!

I still think I will do this as I am tired of living on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

I like these trawlers...something about the way they look is exciting to me...I'm sure you guys understand.

When I was a callow youth I lived in Miami so I'm not unfamiliar with this area..

I found a tiny island in the keys that is for sale..it is called "Money Key" and is just off the 7mile bridge on the Atlantic side. It is listed at 250,000.00 I thought it would be nice to get a small boat that would fit the short dock behind the trailer and get the tiny island...you could putt down the canal and be at the island in a short time...you have to petition the Corp of Engineers to be able to build a dock at the island though...but it could be cool!

I am new to this forum...it is cool! maybe I can pick up enough info here that I don't buy the wrong boat. I found a tiny 26ft boat called a Nordic Tug...it's cute but small..I'd hate to be in the middle of the North Atlantic on it :) but it would be cute behind the trailer in Marathon. the tug is 69,000.00.
spcfyw.png

x2qgr9.png

s6zi7j.png

4j17km.jpg
mcmued.jpg

Welcome aboard, Bobalou. Looks like you have some good choices.

For the slightly more adventurous a mooring near a marina and a slip for a 13ft Boston Whaler is far less expensive than a marina slip .

All the services , parking , mail, water, pump out are available , if used with modest sense.

A 3 anchor moor (3-60lb or 90 lb Danforth H ) can be pulled up easily if a change in location is desired.

Living in a waterfront home vs a boat can also have weather challenges. Every fall I would have chain a 40ft long ramp to the cross brace on the pilings then using a 5 ton chain fall lift the float another 4 feet above high tide and chain each corner of the float to pilings using a chain cleat. All in all it was a great place to raise our kids, but too much work as we got older.
wind.JPG

The slide eventually had a gate placed in the railing

FF has a point. Although wife likes being in a slip in a new country as there’s no dinghy ride i much prefer being at anchor. Think being at anchor is easier on the boat, you have more privacy, it’s quieter and generally more pleasant. Note even in the tropics no need for AC on anchor but pretty much mandatory if in a slip.

I just retired and I'm seriously thinking of moving to Marathon FL and finding a place where I can have a boat at my own dock.

It's VERY pricey in Marathon..whew.

I did find a tiny 1bdrm, 1-1/2 bath moble home on a tiny lot with a 30ft dock in back that is on a channel leading to the Atlantic.

185,000.00 with 185.00/mo HOA and 163.00/mo property tax. So it is pricey for a dive with a dock.

I also found a few slips, you have to purchase the slip and that gives you the right to pay a maintenance fee to the marina every month to use it...even though you own it...it's odd to a country boy like me.

I found one that can handle a 81ft boat but it is 160,000.00
Who knew it could be so pricey to have a boat!? I can afford it but Gawd Amitey!

I still think I will do this as I am tired of living on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

I like these trawlers...something about the way they look is exciting to me...I'm sure you guys understand.

When I was a callow youth I lived in Miami so I'm not unfamiliar with this area..

I found a tiny island in the keys that is for sale..it is called "Money Key" and is just off the 7mile bridge on the Atlantic side. It is listed at 250,000.00 I thought it would be nice to get a small boat that would fit the short dock behind the trailer and get the tiny island...you could putt down the canal and be at the island in a short time...you have to petition the Corp of Engineers to be able to build a dock at the island though...but it could be cool!

I am new to this forum...it is cool! maybe I can pick up enough info here that I don't buy the wrong boat. I found a tiny 26ft boat called a Nordic Tug...it's cute but small..I'd hate to be in the middle of the North Atlantic on it :) but it would be cute behind the trailer in Marathon. the tug is 69,000.00.

Bobalu,

Some of the price you show above are pretty cheap. Seems like it's pretty hard to find much of a decent place on decent water for much less than $400 to $500K... with similar homes off the water going for $250 to $300K.

That's based on what I've seen in any reasonable sized town on the eastern half of the US.

Now, a few thoughts.... really nice water seems to get popular and developed, driving prices up, especially where there's nice weather and jobs.

There's a lot of sleeper areas, like in the Florida panhandle, smaller towns along the east coast. Heck in my neighborhood, going to the next county north I bought a waterfront house for less than half of what they costs here, but less quality water, and more difficult access.

There's also a bunch of nice mobile homes on the water (but disappearing). Missed one right down the street that I could have had for $175 (home was a tear down, but a million dollar view, excellent access to ICW... just a narrow 30 ft lot).

Your $180 home with 185.00/mo HOA fees is CHEAP,especially if you can park a reasonably sized boat there. We have docks for sale a half mile down the water that start at close to that, plus fees and taxes, and no live aboards.

The waterfront is out there, if one wants it.

And I can certainly understand why some folks don't want waterfront, with its associated issues, and can understand why some folks want their waterfront on a boat. Different strokes, and nothing wrong with any of them.

South Gulf Cove outside of Port Charlotte has 55 miles of canals behind a 18 x60 foot lock which maintains our water levels in our canals a t 8 to 10' in most areas.
Two sections are considered sailboat water and have no bridges to Charlotte Harbor then thru Boca Grande pass to the Gulf. I have an older house 1500 SW ft which is great for the 2 of us. Since my Boat is 28' I have a lift and raise it out of the water. The water is brackish and changes during the season's usually the top 18 " is fairly fresh. I have 2 great boat yards within a mile of my house. Safe Cove boat Storage and Charlotte Harbor boat yard.as others have stated docks the have conveniences are the best and my 12 x20 workshop is only 20 steps from the dock.
There are still lots available in my neighborhood.

We have a home on the water and keep our trawler at our home dock also. We like to cruise 3-6 months each year.

We have lived aboard or full time cruised for 13 years...I would rather be cruising than living aboard in a slip. We had a waterfront home in Huntington Harbor, S. Calif back in the 1970's. Doubled in value about every 2 years....But almost zero property lines, you looked right across the canal at neighbors. Ours was the first house on the Island right next to the Main Street, so strangers would peer thru the mostly glass walls...

In 1993 we bought our first house on Bayou Chico, which is the boating center of Pensacola. It was next to a public park, and across the street was section 8 housing along with all of the drug etc issues. We moved to Perdido Bay in 2002 and have been in love every since. We live on a peninsula with a bayou on one side and Perdido bay (about 6 mile fetch on the other). We lucked out and bought one of 3 homes built up on mounds. at an elevation of about 11' above high water. Sally this year, and Ivan in 2004 flooded over half the houses on our street--this year few evacuated for Sally, and those who live on "stilted" houses lost all of their vehicles. We own two lots, one is a dog park, and storage for our trailer boats. The back yard looks over a wetland pine forrest which will never be built upon...We choose the side across from Perdido Bay because of the potential hurricane damage. Both to docks, boats and house. It is amazing what 8 foot breakers will to do a brick house! We have a boat lift capacity 16K and a 35' dock--5 1/2' depth off the dock, but only 3 1/2 ' going in and out over a sand bar. Since we had gone to trailerable outboard boats, that works fine...I do miss the bigger boats, but a smaller pilot house boat allows adventures into parts of the US we could not have seen with our sailboats and trawler.

I would say that there are still "affordable" homes here. Several "on grade" (flooded) houses sold in the high 200K, and mid to upper 300K in the last few years. I suspect that there are going to be several more "bargains" after the flooded houses are "fixed up" next year....Some have put in tiled floors, and tilled up 4 feet, with membrane between the studs and concrete wall backer board that is tiled over. They put the electrical up over 4'--. Some of the more desirable are in the 600k to over 1.2Mil. I guess it is a roll of the dice. Does that storm hit you--and how high is the surge.. Is your boat protected?

There's a lot of sleeper areas, like in the Florida panhandle, smaller towns along the east coast. Heck in my neighborhood, going to the next county north I bought a waterfront house for less than half of what they costs here, but less quality water, and more difficult access.

You're right, waterfront prices in Pasco County, the next county to your north, are half what they are in Pinellas County. We've lived on the water there for 30 years and have to watch the tides with our Scout 30 but we're in the Gulf in 5 minutes so if we can't take out the cruiser we take the 18' lobster skiff or the Bauer 10 sailboat or the Avon or the kayaks or the paddle boards.

For anybody that wants to live on the water the West coast of Florida still offers some very affordable properties although that is changing rapidly. You can still get something modest in the 2's but they're getting harder & harder to find. Time to buy!

If you want to have instant access to blue water, the prices are high. When a storm comes by , the water in your house also can get high.

If you cruise and a day reaching the Atlantic or Gulf is no problem inland is about half the price , maybe 1/4 of keys prices .

Where we are (Ortona) $200+ will purchase a nice spacious home , in a hurricane hole area.

Lots with a dock and NO house , can still be found.

Back
Top Bottom