Life Raft Manual Release Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve DAntonio

Guru
Commercial Member
Viking is my life raft of choice, and has been for some time. I visited one of their facilities in Norway a couple of years ago and it only reinforced this notion. A visit to the life raft factory - Ocean Navigator - September/October 2017

However, I encountered a scenario on a new Viking raft installation recently, one I thought I’d share with the TF. I'm not sure if the hook was shipped this way or this is something the dealer or installer did.

The red ribbon on this manual release hook, first two photos, does nothing when pulled, it’s simply tied around the hasp.

The actual release is the very small lanyard, I’d call it a string. Someone who was unfamiliar with this system, and who looked at the pictogram instructions (which do not match the actual installation), may not be able to release the raft manually.

It looks as if the design has changed since the pictogram was created. I could envision this being a problem in the event of the raft needs to be released in a genuine emergency.

Here's what it should look like, the final photo (it still does not match the pictogram exactly, but it's similar). If yours does not look like this, you should change, and test it to make sure the hook opens easily.

Attachments

• 0826200609.jpg
    0826200609.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 0826200602.jpg
    0826200602.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 0826200608.jpg
    0826200608.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Vikine Manual Release Correct.jpg
    Vikine Manual Release Correct.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 20
With any piece of safety equipment, it's always a good idea to do a walk through whether donning a PFD or manually deploying a life raft. While my release worked very easily, picking the raft up to deploy it over a high railing was going to happen by myself.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom