Jimmy Buffett Dies at 76

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
Jimmy Buffett, great memories

We spent 3 months in Morocco in the early 80's traveling around the country to the 'Buffett' on a never ending cassette in the Kombi.

To me a Buffett song is Morocco. To others something else entirely.

As I type this 'Stand by Me' is on the radio it's all a bit serendipitous.

The early songs were the best.

Fair winds Jimmy Buffett.

Weird. Had a Margarita last night right around the time of his passing. I rarely drink those. Just found out this morning. I guess I was giving him a send off. RIP!

The Buffet song I can relate to:

"A Pirates Look at Forty"

Mother mother ocean
I have heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters
Since I was three feet tall.....

The above pretty much describes the first time I went boating on Long Island Sound with a friend of my dad. An incurable childhood disease followed, thankfully!

RIP Jimmy

Ted

Last edited:
Fair winds and following seas JB.
Can definitely relate to
"Pirate looks at Forty".
Grew up a "12 volt man".
Ending up with
"Last Mango in Paris".
snort, puff, swallow

Sail On Jimmy Buffett. You changed my attitude which led me to change my latitude.
LBkHFpN.jpg

VDY442Q.jpg

"Hand salute"...."Salute!"

Sail far and wide Jimmy, fair winds and following seas.

You encouraged me from my early days and I never looked back. Thank you.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way."

Indeed he did!

--Peggie

Hard to believe he’s gone. He was so alive!
Saw him perform at the Miami Marine Stadium once. The perfect venue for him.
He was a customer at my West Palm store. Unfortunately I was never there when he was.

Sail On Jimmy Buffett. You changed my attitude which led me to change my latitude.
LBkHFpN.jpg

VDY442Q.jpg

***************. Looks like you are ready to go shopping at Walmart. LOL

Last edited:
The scary part is, I am older than Jimmy Buffett

Last edited:
This one's for you Jimmy, thanks for the good times !!

Attachments

• sunset toast.jpg
    sunset toast.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 35
I am seeing reports it was melanoma.

Everyone of us has risk. Monitor it.

We spent 3 months in Morocco in the early 80's traveling around the country to the 'Buffett' on a never ending cassette in the Kombi.

To me a Buffett song is Morocco. To others something else entirely.

As I type this 'Stand by Me' is on the radio it's all a bit serendipitous.

The early songs were the best.

Fair winds Jimmy Buffett.

I sold one of our cats, stripped it of everything but delivered overseas.

Told one of the ring in crew to bring some tunes, all ours were taken off.
Turns up with Jimmy Buffet only

As soon as we could hear french voices from New Caledonia radio stations on around day 6 Jimmy was gone never to be heard from again
As soon as that crew member got on land he was gone as well.
Torturous times indeed.

But fare thee well Jimmy.

Went to numerous Parrot Head concerts over the years. Always left with a tune in my heart and a new attitude in my head. See you again someday Jimmy. Save me a seat where the sharks swim on the land. RIP.

As a poet himself I think Jimmy would think this appropriate

Crossing the Bar

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

Lord Alfred Tennyson

I woke up on my boat on the 2nd with my alarm going off.

A random song - it was Cheeseburger in Paradise. I turned to my phone to wake up and the first news I saw was Jimmy passing.

I refreshed it twice and he still said goodbye every time. It was a sad awakening.

Jimmy, I enjoyed the 12 concerts as a Parrothead.. oh and the parking lot parties (well from what I remember).

A toast to my hero now in heaven surrounded by palm trees.

Sail on!

jimmy.jpg

I worked on a cruise ship for a while and as you can imagine, accomodations are fairly tight. I get assigned a room mate who only has 4 CD's -- all Jimmy Buffett. I thought they would get old real quick, but they never really did. Before the ship gig I was never a fan, but after listening to him for 4 years, and leading the kind of life he was singing about , he became my favorite singer, poet, and philosopher.

Post ship life, my wife-to-be and I live in West Palm Beach and haven't really learned our way around yet. We were trying to find a Christmassy function but we were lost. We see an old guy in a parking lot putting fishing rods into a Land Rover so we ask him. He was very polite and helpful. He sent us on our way and got in his truck and my wife and I were just kind of star struck. We both said to each other at the same time "That was Jimmy Buffett!"
Rumor has it he knew his end was near and his last album is going to be a goodbye to his fans.

Thank you, Pirate, for all you've done for us. Lifted me and others out of dark places too many times to count. Go tip back a few cold ones in Paradise, you've earned it!

We liked the same boat

Forty years ago I had been enjoying the dream of sailing the Herreschoff designed Alerion, a 26' sloop. Read JB had acquired one shortly thereafter. He added a sound system and sailed the Keys. Good life Jimmy, farewell

Attachments

• Alerion100821.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Boy that's a beautiful boat. Can see why JB wanted one.

So was one of Jimmy Buffet's early boats - a Choy Lee Clipper..... 1st pic

I always wanted one...it is what got me started in the tropical "cruis'n life".

Had to settle for a Cape Dory 30 ketch.... 2nd pic

Attachments

• Euphoria.jpg
    Euphoria.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 6088227_20170131143756002_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6088227_20170131143756002_1_XLARGE.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Very nice, lengthy obituary in yesterday's Times . Mentioned many songs, including, "Why Don't We Get Drunk?".:D

Last edited:
Warren Buffet said some nice things about Jimmy Buffet, https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/st...wXXSs2AD97YH347KNV?mod=finance_lcmarkets_pos3, it might be behind a pay wall though.

Warren Buffett said Tuesday that his longtime friend Jimmy Buffett “made everybody feel good, particularly me.”

Jimmy Buffett, the singer of “Margaritaville” and entrepreneur behind myriad beach-themed businesses, died Sept. 1. While tropical escapism was his focus, Jimmy Buffett had a side interest in Berkshire Hathaway: He performed at the company’s annual meeting and even composed a ditty about buying “Berkshire way back when it was cheap.”

The musician’s ties to the company go back at least a quarter century. He said in a CNBC interview in 2022 that he bought Berkshire stock probably 25 years earlier. “Never sold anything,” he told Squawk Box co-anchor Becky Quick.
Warren Buffett said in a written remembrance Tuesday:

Jimmy loved the audience just as much as they loved him. He never lost a fan. Music changed, performing styles changed, but if you liked Jimmy in 1983, you wanted to see him again in 2023. And you wanted to bring your kids.

I never heard him make an unkind remark – either publicly or privately – in the more than 35 years I knew him. He made everybody feel good, particularly me. We weren’t related but in his first call to me, he began with “Cousin Warren?” and I replied “Cousin Jimmy” and that’s the way it stayed.
The "Cousin" comment made me smile. :thumb::D

Later,
Dan

As I move along the coastline near Sitka, I remember fondly his contemplative pieces.
- Death of an Unpopular poet
- Remittance Man
- Ringling, Ringling
- Railroad Lady
- He went to Paris

Wasn’t a fan of the Cheeseburger Margarita schlock but quite a Fantastic songwriter with some songs that you can see the story unfolding before you.
I better hurry and get this out before I’m out of service.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom