Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just reread the description section on YW for the DD. This explains why the draft is over a foot deeper than the plans call for. It was the 41' enhanced LRC.

The designs enhancements included extending the length to 50', creating a 12' x 12' covered quarter deck on the top deck; ideal for relaxation and entertaining, creating a spacious pilot house by extending to 16'; providing space for a lounge area, behind the helm, that includes an arm chair and a sofa bed. So captain and crew can cruise together.

I was wrong. It's a DD44.

Diesel Duck 44

OE Specs

[SIZE=+2]LOD:[/SIZE][SIZE=+2] 43’ 11” .....LWL: 41’ 9”....Beam: 14’ .... Draft: 5’ ....Displ.: 45,160 lbs.[/SIZE]

So it was “enhanced” by following Buehler specs? That would make me feel a bit better.

I wish there were fiberglass versions of these ducks. I like the design and look, but I’m pretty terrified of steel boats. How do you inspect the interior of the hull for rust with the interior all in place? Or is the bilge area totally accessible somehow?

The 6'6" could be fully watered and fuel?
I'd rather see had stabilizers.
Hmmm, the interior... I could live with it.
Let''s face it, a DD for under $200K? Get it surveyed twice. Also engine survey too.

So it was “enhanced” by following Buehler specs? That would make me feel a bit better.

I wish there were fiberglass versions of these ducks. I like the design and look, but I’m pretty terrified of steel boats. How do you inspect the interior of the hull for rust with the interior all in place? Or is the bilge area totally accessible somehow?

"[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also available post purchase ( separate from any pre purchase sea trials) is a 3 to 5 day shake down cruise to the Bahamas to train the new owner on all the operation of all systems including the galley, sleeping and of course post day sunsets and drinks on deck!)."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Don't we know someone who wants to go to the Bahamas?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

"[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also available post purchase ( separate from any pre purchase sea trials) is a 3 to 5 day shake down cruise to the Bahamas to train the new owner on all the operation of all systems including the galley, sleeping and of course post day sunsets and drinks on deck!)."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Don't we know someone who wants to go to the Bahamas?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Ha! Don’t want to have to buy this boat for a ride to the Bahamas!

The 6.5’ draft on this boat would be problematic in the Bahamas IMO. I don’t think it would get into Black Sound where my boat is for example, except on a big high tide.

This woodie was totally restored in 2001 and perhaps needs another one now. The fold up wash basin in the head is literally over the top (of the head). The exhaust pipes are somewhat of a concern as they come up through the flybridge and appear to lack insulation but on the flip side, they should keep the flybridge nice and cozy for PNW boating. How can you beat 6'6" headroom in the ER? Was hoping the broker would remove the canvas and provide a good pic of the hydraulic windlass but that is not to be. The grayish wood or engineered flooring just doesn't look right. So is a $149K for this beauty a bargain or a reach?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1952/custom-garden-trawler-3585781/?refSource=standard listing

I've always admired Katherine Jean. There was an article about her restoration back in the day (hard to believe it's been almost 20 years) and I recall it was done with no little regard to cost. Quite a spectacular finished product. She'd changed hands a few times and I believe was available for charter at one time. I'll have to get a closer look since she's moored right behind my boathouse!

The enhancements were the deviations from George's plans. I'm not so sure they're enhancements.

With modern paint tech that I have been researching, steel shouldn't be a concern. Treat it like a glass boat. In Georges plans, everything is assembled in a way that every area of the hull should be accessible for inspection if built to plans. It's one of the things he repeats in his books, the ability to inspect and treat every area of the hull without to much hassle and ease of maintenace.

Also, I've never been to the Bahamas on a boat. I have flown over the islands a few times as copilot. At 1500ft and 180mph, you can see the bottom in shallow places when the water is calm. I agree, it seems like 6.5 feet would be a pain in the rear.

The 6'6" could be fully watered and fuel?
I'd rather see had stabilizers.
Hmmm, the interior... I could live with it.
Let''s face it, a DD for under $200K? Get it surveyed twice. Also engine survey too.

The deeper draft is due to them making the boat bigger than specs and installing an engine with nearly twice the recommended horsepower. I'm sure the upped some tankage as well. So yeah, you're on the right track.

The Ducks are designed in a way to give an easy motion. I'm sure stabilizers would help but I'm not sure they would be worth it. Also, depending on how they built the bottom, the fins would point down and out at a 10 to 15-degree angle from the centerline, of course this depends on the Duck model. The one discussed here has a shallow and variable deadrise. The center where the fins would go is the flattest area of the bottom. If she were built with stabs in mind, the hull could be modified and optimized for the stabs.

Here's what she would have looked like if built to plans.

44duck-interior.jpg

"I like the design and look, but I’m pretty terrified of steel boats. How do you inspect the interior of the hull for rust with the interior all in place?"

The folks that build steel boats have been aware of this need to inspect and replace for at least a century.

Interiors are usually installed after hull/deck are in place , as are the systems and wiring. In a couple of days much can be removed and the hull interior sand blasted "water white" and the painting and replacement can begin.

I did not know KK made go-fast boats. :huh::speed boat:

Obviously the threshold to a "go-fast" boat varies person to person. I'm confident... KK doing 20 knts = GO-Fast Fuel Too!! :popcorn:

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]..." You’ll feel confident cruising in all conditions with the R-41 CB’s powerful and reliable twin Volvo Penta IPS400 drives"....[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]I`d be anything but confident with those forward facing props. Do some online searching for the experiences of IPS owners, even those using Volvo qualified service agents. $15K rebuild if a seal fails and water gets in,is what what I read.
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Spot on!
Volvo is bad enough, but with the IPS drives... I'll pass.

Spot on!
Volvo is bad enough, but with the IPS drives... I'll pass.

Say what you will but a friend's PB50 with them turns in astoundingly good fuel figures with them. At 25 knots he's riding nearly dead-flat with almost no wake and burning ~30gph FOR BOTH ENGINES. The combination of the IPS drives and carbon fiber materials makes for some pretty amazing performance/consumption figures. Granted, they're pricey.

Posted by RBacK #8 above,
“I'm the kind of person who's disturbingly fond this kind of ship[ish] cruiser.”

Here’s a boat that actually is a SD cruiser.

Notice the bottom of the hull turns up near the stern. Such hulls can’t plane and are relatively most efficient above hull speed. But there’s plenty of transom submerged at rest to go much faster than a FD boat.
I believe the older NT32 has such a hull as well. I think most trawlers should have a hull like this but sadly few do.

Last edited:
of course

It is a nice boat, for the speed the hull speed could be around 11.5kts, to reach 1.5 kts more it will need a lot of hp to push the water :)
Even for our former "Patrol boat" with a hull speed of 12.5 kts the need in power between 11.5 kts to 13 kts increase by 33%
For one boat of 26.5m wl, only around 70t, 1.6m displacement and narrow beam of 5.7 m the need to reach 13kts was 540 hp may be for this hull the need to reach 13 kts will not be far from 1000hp ?

1999 Custom Peer Gynt Expedition 76 Boats for Sale - Edwards Yacht Sales

I usually click on the links for interesting boats. Not that I need or want one but for ideas about good or poor design and execution. This one struck a chord since we also own a Seaton design, and then I noticed a picture of the boat anchored stern-to in a cove which looks much like one where we spent several days. This was on the west side of Kefalonia in the Ionian during our former sailing life on a 40' steel ketch.

Now that is a nice boat!

HOLLYWOOD

I must have missed the price. Guess that means I cant afford it. In reality, it is too big of a boat for men. It would just attract a bunch of 'fair weather friends.'

. It would just attract a bunch of 'fair weather friends.'[/QUOTE]

:)You are right curiously now we get more "friends" like that with our 72 Trawler than we had with our longcours62:facepalm::eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom