Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 level and more

Note I don't make an allergy against "two" level boat, for example 8 or 9 year ago we tried to buy this one below.
Two and half level boat , ok BUT in another hand 4 m draft ...120m3 only for the diesel tank and 8.30m beam :)
Was an interesting opportunity for a special project but finally don't got her

Attachments

• Abel J.jpg
    Abel J.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 1-104745l-960x540.jpg
    1-104745l-960x540.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Few year ago

Another three level boat in Al much like its derivative Arksen. Prefer the Arksen as think the redundancy details are better executed.

Thanks for posting the Oliver Van de Meer boat L-C.
Believe Van de Meer designed most of the Puffin sailing yachts. Find those drop dead gorgeous and very functional blue water boats. We looked at one before doing our new build. Probably should have bought it as it was priced right. Wife was nervous that it would be our first Fe boat so went grp. Think Van de Meer has a much better eye for sail than power.
https://www.puffin.nl/. one we looked to buy was a 50’ centerboard owned by a ships captain and totally Bristol.

Before the covid, one empty hull of a Puffin was for sale (not sure if it was the 50') interesting concept .
We built something similar ( not the drawing but the concept) 34 year ago in Vietnam, she come back on the market, if our actual will be sold it could be a possibility, even if the 3 owner change lot of thing from the origin : cut our nice big friendly table 2x1 m :), put a bowstrip (not bad except in marina) destroy the better toilet, cut the aft cabin in two part, made an usefull but very ugly big thing on the aft deck, cover the roof with wood. Ok now she is an old lady 31 year old, but we could use her as a motor sailor (twin engine + 2000 diesel tank).
We will see...

Photo from 1992, 1993 May, 1993 August we leave Vietnam, and 2023 with the actual owner

Attachments

• 20220214_171826.jpg
    20220214_171826.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220214_171406.jpg
    20220214_171406.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220214_171051.jpg
    20220214_171051.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20240210-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240210-WA0002.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 13
When I show her to my wife made a grimace, and I quickly pay with "Paint" to lowered the profile...but she continue to made a grimace :)
Oups forgot the "transformer" :)
Don't find the draft of this one ? 2m or more ?

Beautifully and cleverly done!!
Completely my taste, the proportions are right, there is now a nice line in it!!

Regards

Pascal.

Another three level boat in Al much like its derivative Arksen. Prefer the Arksen as think the redundancy details are better executed.

Thanks for posting the Oliver Van de Meer boat L-C.
Believe Van de Meer designed most of the Puffin sailing yachts. Find those drop dead gorgeous and very functional blue water boats. We looked at one before doing our new build. Probably should have bought it as it was priced right. Wife was nervous that it would be our first Fe boat so went grp. Think Van de Meer has a much better eye for sail than power.
https://www.puffin.nl/. one we looked to buy was a 50’ centerboard owned by a ships captain and totally Bristol.

Are more designs from this guy.

https://www.oliviervanmeer.com/fleet/motor-yachts/

Pascal.

Something has to be wrong with that boat

I agree.... it shouldn't be that cheap... unless the problem is with the owners situation rather than the boat....Its common...the 3 D's Death, divorce, Don't want..
Not many yachtsmen want steel hull construction either

Last edited:
I like the fisherman’s anchor on the rail. Very salty looking!

Indeed yes, but this is an English design, I think an ex lifeboat or a pilot boat.

Mvg,

Pascal.

Something has to be wrong with that boat

A Kanter aloy 50' , Kasten design was sold last year for around 80000€ on the east coast, ok she was from 2002 and still no arrangement inside but full equiped, tain hydraulic windlass,.
Send few email to the broker to get more details before fly to usa,but not all answer only after few week get : under offer:nonono:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 254.JPG
    254.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Attachments

• neville-39.jpg
    neville-39.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 17
  • 1-2799648524.jpg
    1-2799648524.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Kanter is a an excellent builder. I’m familiar with the bougainvillea sailboats. Details in construction all first rate. It’s a shame that other than the NW North Americans prefer glass to metal.

Whe. I got photo of the Kanter above I had se question on détails I saw , but no answer.I was ready to fly USAif they answer, be aussi 15m, aloy, 2002, ready exept arrangement could be interresting for us ( already design what we need inside.But tomorow I will send à photo of welding on a diesel tank...

as said

yesterdayn we was very interested by this boat enough big for us, big tankage, not huge draft, in sail away condition, can eventually stand up alone.
We change the original drawing to keep only one fore cabin , aft salon and wheelhouse/cooking area,
Ok no get home but centered the mast up above the fore bulkhead of engine room put a jib and a fullbatten main sail you could move ...somewhere slowly.

You can see on the photo the diesel tank and 4 (!) weld at her bottom line ?
For witch reason ? Not "watertight", , plating not well adjust and they compensate with this 4 welding ? (don't forget each time you heat the metal each time you lost resistance . It was curious for a well renomed boat yard.

Attachments

• soudure kanter.jpg
    soudure kanter.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 35
^^^Interesting the power difference between the two vessels.

I don’t know what the extra power of the twin Cats gets you in a displacement hull boat besides a bigger fuel bill and no room in the engine room. I would question the claimed 12 knot top speed of the 1988 boat with the twin Lehmans.

The City & Borough of Juneau is holding a fixed bid auction to sell a couple of charter boats and an old trawler for failure to pay moorage fees (link in the article):

Interesting. I wonder how the auction will go. Someone might get a bargain. Or a nightmare.

This part of the article struck me:

While the city typically auctions off about 15 to 30 boats a year...

That seems like a lot. I've been to Juneau, and, yeah, there are some tired-looking boats hanging around. But 15-30 a year left abandoned, to be auctioned off? Wow.

^^^Interesting the power difference between the two vessels.

Yes I noticed the same thing, I’d prefer a natural 3208 in this arrangement. Raw water coolers and turbo, intercooler servicing to deal with for HP you will never use.

The last vessel compared to the first, is like a chalk and cheese comparison imo, a “pretty” external paint job with a minimalist, and tired interior, even displaying an oil soaked bilge nappy next to the stabiliser!
The Lehman powered offering was impressive.

This is an interesting boat that I think has been on the market for at least a couple of years:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1988-webbers-cove-custom-built-trawler-8381566/

Not many pilothouse designs in this size range.

I remember it originally being listed at twice the current asking price ($398,000), I think maybe with a different broker? I inquired about it back then and was told the price was pretty firm and only a very close offer might be considered. I passed.

I've run into this kind of situation a number of times in my boat searches. A boat comes on the market that I've been interested in but is listed at what I think is a crazy price. Most of the time when I've asked about making a lower offer I've been laughed at, told my offer wouldn't even be presented because it would be a 'waste of time.'

Over half a dozen times now the boat is still on the market a few years later, at an asking price lower than what I was willing to pay years before.

Greed is a funny thing with some sellers.

Steber 38

Steber is a high quality long established small builder of fiberglass boats located in northern NSW State, for pleasure, commercial fishing, marine rescue organizations, police, etc. This is worth a look, downside is the single BMW diesel is stern drive. Other than that, it looks a well priced well kept boat, of its vintage.
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...-boats/stebercraft-steber-38-flybridge/304252
1_4.jpg

Steber are known for taking back their earlier and repairing and updating to a high standard. I can`t imagine many have made it across the Pacific but if one does and you see it for sale, it warrants some attention.

..............This is worth a look, downside is the single BMW diesel is stern drive................
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...-boats/stebercraft-steber-38-flybridge/304252
1_4.jpg
/QUOTE]

I am looking out my den window at a 1986 BMW D190Z on a stand. 185 HP. These engines made it into some Lord Nelson Victory Tugs. I haven't found a boat to put it in but it runs like a top on the stand. BMW made a sterndrive for this engine, X drive. Mercruiser bought BMW Marine and continued to make my engine well into the 90's. A lot of it's parts are in Cummins engines. So, any experience with BMW? I do agree a boat this size with sterndrive is unusual.

Attachments

• Engine on Crane 1.jpg
    Engine on Crane 1.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom