Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely a Kadey-Krogen. I think it's the "50 Open" model.

I was touring a KK52 yesterday at the Seattle boat show. Across the dock was a Selene 55. Weird thing was that despite the Selene displacing 30,000 more lbs, it was bobbing like a cork at the dock, vs the KK wasn’t doing so bad.

Must be a difference in hull form.

I remember reading Garden's design books when I was a kid. My dad owned a lot of boat books and I used to read them for hours. One of my favourites as a kid was Voyaging Under Power (the first edition) which I read many times over while dreaming about crossing oceans.

I totally agree with Voyaging Under Power by Robert Beebe! And also agree that the first edition is the best, before it was co-opted by Jim Leishman and became an advertisement for Nordhavn!

The first edition had a bunch of good information for long range, or full time cruisers that, even though some of it is dated, was deleted from the follow-on editions . . . :thumb:

Of course, I may be just a TAD biased, since we own a Beebe designed boat.:D:dance:

I totally agree with Voyaging Under Power by Robert Beebe! And also agree that the first edition is the best, before it was co-opted by Jim Leishman and became an advertisement for Nordhavn!

The first edition had a bunch of good information for long range, or full time cruisers that, even though some of it is dated, was deleted from the follow-on editions . . . :thumb:

Of course, I may be just a TAD biased, since we own a Beebe designed boat.:D:dance:

Voyaging Under Power is a classic but the first edition is pretty dated, being almost 50 years old at this point. Leishman is certainly more qualifed than most to do an update on the subject, and I didn’t see that work as an ad for Nordhavn or anything else, other than for updated knowledge on a complicated subject. If there wasn’t significant overlap between the material in the book and Leishman’s day job, he wouldn’t have been the right guy for the job.

I think Leishman did 2nd and 3rd editions, but the latest (4th) edition update is done by the Umstots.

Any version is well worth reading, but no reason IMO not to get the latest edition, which also is the easiest to source and likely the least expensive due to availability.

Voyaging Under Power is a classic but the first edition is pretty dated, being almost 50 years old at this point. Leishman is certainly more qualifed than most to do an update on the subject, and I didn’t see that work as an ad for Nordhavn or anything else, other than for updated knowledge on a complicated subject. If there wasn’t significant overlap between the material in the book and Leishman’s day job, he wouldn’t have been the right guy for the job.

I think Leishman did 2nd and 3rd editions, but the latest (4th) edition update is done by the Umstots.

Any version is well worth reading, but no reason IMO not to get the latest edition, which also is the easiest to source and likely the least expensive due to availability.

Looks like you can get the ebook for your reading device here, although I would want a new hard cover collectors editions lol.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/voyaging-under-power-fourth-edition-robert-p-beebe/1127944055

Anybody have a frist edition like this?

https://www.carpediemfinebooks.com/pages/books/21803/robert-beebe/voyaging-under-power

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Bo...tfURjFollkcyHhSPGshu9QExlJrggwGcaAn1AEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Voyaging-Under-Power-Robert-Hardcover/dp/B011MCAICE

I think I'll take a chance and by one off eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=voyaging+under+power+first+edition&_osacat=0

So I just ordered two, the ones that appear to be in the best condition. Have not pulled the trigger on the one that actually really does look like a bible in leather, with box. I have to pause at $288 when the box spine is faded lol.

Last edited:
I have an original edition, and have read it at least three times (and some sections more, the one on paravanes, for example). I followed his suggestions to the letter when I built the paravanes for Anika J. As a researcher, I always try to find the original offerings of any thinker, because even if there are errors that are corrected in later editions, the raw gold is there to be seen and appreciated. My edition looks like the third on your list (that image may be a simple illustrated dust jacket over the hard cover).

We also have several copies of the first edition (third on the list above). Generally available for under $10 all in. We also have a few 4th editions we have to give to people who are really interested in our boat. We pick them up whenever we find them cheap!:dance:

I was touring a KK52 yesterday at the Seattle boat show. Across the dock was a Selene 55. Weird thing was that despite the Selene displacing 30,000 more lbs, it was bobbing like a cork at the dock, vs the KK wasn’t doing so bad.

Must be a difference in hull form.

If you see the Selene hauled out, you will note how flat the stern section is and how far that flat section extends towards the mid section.

This thing is powered by 2 x 12V Detroits. Not sure if 71 or 92 Series, but is 56' long and says it cruises at 30 knots. I could only imagine the fuel burn at that speed!

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...sports-fisher-custom-commercial-vessel/307073

0_4.jpg

Went through all 41 pictures. Built finest kind and well kept. Around here you see Concordia 39s all in bright and glorious. Occasionally one in paint and still a head turner. But some boats just look right in bright and this is one of them.

Saw this one pass by on Youtube and must say that I do like this one. It has incredible potential and the price is actually quite good.
It is a bit of an upgrade, going from 50' to roughly 100', but this would be the perfect boat for us.

I saw her for sale May be 10/12 year ago.
The problem it is the age.
Recently I saw the bilge, tanks toilet area, chain looker of à 35 year old from à well renmed shipyard... I was not perxect.
Imagine on a 62 year old.If it is to go bigger clearly I will prefer the...41m Nigel Irens steel motor yacht 250k€ but already sold :) only 20 year old

IMG_5705.jpg

IMG_5708.jpg

IMG_5706.jpg
Looks like a converted fishing boat-very well done! I like the floating dock/hinged swim platform as well.

Similar big Hatt 58 ACMY in San Diego for the same price but USD instead of AUD.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1979-hatteras-aft-cabin-motor-yacht-9238673/

I love those big Hatteras' but yikes... so much boat. If there was a 4 cabin 58LRC FS here I might be really really tempted though.

Very nice boat, but does not say a lot about the state of the engines and unfortunately not stabilized. But it is a great boat.
This is what 'Trying not to sink' (Youtube) has as well, so anyone interested in the running cost can find it on their channel.

I have always admired the lines of the Hatteras 53 MY and its longer brethren. The style seemed to me to be so "timeless" -- until recently, at least.

Very nice boat, but does not say a lot about the state of the engines and unfortunately not stabilized. But it is a great boat.
This is what 'Trying not to sink' (Youtube) has as well, so anyone interested in the running cost can find it on their channel.

Thanks for the tip! Found their video & the summary of OpEx for the past couple of years. Broker is marketing the boat as a floating condo - it does have a really nice slip location.

About what I'd figured - here in San Diego the slip fees would be $22k/yr. I'm not sure I'd call $70k/yr "surprisingly affordable". They average 0.75nmpg and transit between the Carribbean and their home slip in PHI - good on them for using the boat!

Attachments

• Hatt 58 costs.jpg
    Hatt 58 costs.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 7
Came across this one. Looks like an incredible boat. Will be pricy, but well worth it.

Saw this one pass by on Youtube and must say that I do like this one. It has incredible potential and the price is actually quite good.
It is a bit of an upgrade, going from 50' to roughly 100', but this would be the perfect boat for us.

I recently saw this on YT as well, when the camera angle and the sun angle got to a certain stage around the bow, it is severely dented from punching big seas over the years, and around the topsides resembles the “hungry horse”, proud ribs and concave plate.
As berthing rates elevate globally and insurance company’s make cover more difficult and expensive to source, I’d be very happy with my 50’ Defever with a million watts of solar ;):thumb:

Back
Top Bottom