Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://conradshipyard.com/yachts/motor/gentelman-cc58/

TUGBOAT

GENTLEMAN

This line of motor yachts, inspired by classic tugboats, was developed in partnership with famous Polish designer Juliusz Strawinski exclusively for Conrad Shipyard. They offer the amenities and technology seen on modern luxury yachts while staying true to tradition. The combination of traditional style, attention to detail, finest craftsmanship and materials, offers an exceptional yachting experience for a particular kind of yachting connoisseur. Gentleman’s best quality equipment and finish make her a yacht for true gentlemen. The interior, furnished with finest quality mahogany, satin and gloss trimmings, in connection with white groove walls and ceiling panels, give her a genuinely traditional and elegant feel. The deck, as well as interior, is decorated with teak elements, complemented by solid stainless steel and chrome fittings, accentuating the overall experience. Twin engines and a bow thruster make her easy to handle in crowded marinas..

This beauty is at Bristol Marine in Bristol RI. Not a ‘trawler’ but soft chine, full built-down keel, and worthy of admiration.

The hull is glass so seemingly a later build, but everything else is gorgeously varnished wood.

Does anyone know what it is? No builders name on it.

Attachments

• IMG_6178.jpg
    IMG_6178.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6179.jpg
    IMG_6179.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6180.jpg
    IMG_6180.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
This beauty is at Bristol Marine in Bristol RI. Not a ‘trawler’ but soft chine, full built-down keel, and worthy of admiration.

The hull is glass so seemingly a later build, but everything else is gorgeously varnished wood.

Does anyone know what it is? No builders name on it.

That is a beautiful boat!

Friend of mine and prior owner of Outbound Yachts is making a version in Kevlar skin and foam. A truly amazing boat. Naval architect is Nigel Irons. Builder is Phil Lambert
Takes the LDL concept and does it in a non metallic form. Optimized for comfortable , incredibly efficient cruising and low maintenance. Engine is a yanmar with parts easily available at a fair price. No external brightwork. Bulletproof construction. Bristol fashion.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Friend of mine and prior owner of Outbound Yachts is making a version in Kevlar skin and foam. A truly amazing boat. Naval architect is Nigel Irons. Builder is Phil Lambert
Takes the LDL concept and does it in a non metallic form. Optimized for comfortable , incredibly efficient cruising and low maintenance. Engine is a yanmar with parts easily available at a fair price. No external brightwork. Bulletproof construction. Bristol fashion.

You mean this boat?

https://rangeboat.com/

I saw the boat today and had a very interesting conversation with the builder.

So have you ordered one Hippocampus?

Attachments

• IMG_6191.jpg
    IMG_6191.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6187.jpg
    IMG_6187.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6188.jpg
    IMG_6188.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 33
I love Nigel Irens designs. The Rangeboat looks like the ultimate PNW cruiser for a couple: efficient, gorgeous, perfect size, capable of a turn of speed when needed. Dream boat!

A friend of a friend has been talking to Irens and the Rangeboat builder about doing a hybrid diesel/electric version. Also moving the windshield forward so they can get the galley up and have a dinette opposite the helm.

You mean this boat?

https://rangeboat.com/

I saw the boat today and had a very interesting conversation with the builder.

So have you ordered one Hippocampus?

A friend of a friend has been talking to Irens and the Rangeboat builder about doing a hybrid diesel/electric version. Also moving the windshield forward so they can get the galley up and have a dinette opposite the helm.

Exactly my thoughts when I saw the photo. In today’s world, as a PNW cruiser, I’d go 15kW electric single propulsion, about 100+ kwhr of LFP batteries, a diesel bulkhead heater and a small Panda generator.

That's very much my dream boat. I have emailed the builder for prices on the standard 46. I have been following the designer, Nigel Irens, for some time; the speed and efficiency of this LDL design seem very persuasive to me. And (@sean9c) I'd love to know more about your friend's version.

I just don't get this quest for speed and efficiency at great expense and loss of space

I just don't get this quest for speed and efficiency at great expense and loss of space

Horses for courses. That's not a livaboard boat IMHO, it's for a couple living in, say, Seattle, who wants an expanded range for a long weekend or 1-2 week cruise.

Horses for courses. That's not a livaboard boat IMHO, it's for a couple living in, say, Seattle, who wants an expanded range for a long weekend or 1-2 week cruise.

Yeah, I know but I just can't get my head around it.

We know people who bought a Palm Beach 60 for near $3 million and all it does is 7 knot champagne cruises up and down the river and an occasional weekend to a nearby island.

Others do exactly the same on one these ex river ferries that recently sold for about $30,000 with $2,970000 in change left over for champagne.

images

I hear you Socal, and agree to some extent, but worth keeping this in reasonable perspective.
I face this dilema as we speak. I have a conventional heavy slow fuel guzzling monohull and I have a long, lean, fast, efficient cat that beats the fpb types on all of those accounts. It has gotten to the point that the Sea of Cortez is so popular that I am likely leaving after this Winter. My moorage just went up to $3400/month since demand is outstripping supply. I can moor for half of that in Puget Sound.
So, we will likely go down to one boat, choosing from above.
If I consider Puget Sound to Ketchikan my local cruising area and think about making a 6-week trip out of it on occaision, here is the math on the difference between fast and efficient vs slow and inefficient.
The trip covers a total time elapsed of 1728 hours. In the slow boat, 188 hours of that would be cruising vs 150 hours in the cat. Fuel bill would be $4200 in the cat vs. 4700 in the heavy monohull. So, 38 more hours underway and $500 more in fuel for the heavy boat. Moorage difference would likely wipe out the fuel difference so that is a wash. The difference in hours underway vs parked in not that significant over 1700+ hours of the trip.
So, Simi has a point. Buy the boat you love and this likely means buy the boat you like living in to a great extent.
The prior owners of Domino were serious, adventurous cruisers that covered great distances, 45 countries, and three transpacific trips during their ten years aboard. Still, by my math, they were underway 6% of that time.
My cruising partner likes living above the water with lots of natural light. Her vote matters, so the cat likely gives me the best chance of a long, happy boating career. That, not speed and efficiency, will be the deciding factor. The speed and efficiency is nice for sure, but perhaps not critical for us, really.

All first world problems and choices to be sure......

KW stay with the cat. If you do decide to bolt some distance in the future it will be a lot more palatable.
Not quite a boat but how long before these are the tender of choice for the super yacht crowd?
Plenty of aviators on TF to talk me through the downsides
20230921_130813.jpg20230922_100446.jpg

And when you put it in a slip, you're paying by LOA in most cases, not width or interior volume.

Ran into Phil at the Newport Boatshow. Have his personal contact information which I don’t feel feel to share. Getting it together to pack and leave for the winter so maybe a few days to respond to request.

We bought our current Hippocampus at the height of the Covid scare. Due to YOLO perhaps at a high price. She had a clean survey but we’ve put in a lot of money to refit and make her better than new much like Peters experience. Wife likes her as a liveaboard so going to hang on to her for now. Also hung out with Dave Balfour of Nordhavn when at the show who has become a friend. He was showing a N43 in immaculate condition. That design was my choice until we saw the NT42. It’s a lovely really capable design. Wife pointed out that we’re no longer doing passages. That having space and being able to exceed hull speed would be very helpful for coastal cruising. Now at the boat show she said she’s so glad we choose the NT as it has more usable space and is easier to live on.

As TT pointed out FD v LDL is a trade off in either direction. The LDLs have the advantage of being able to have great range with much less weight and space dedicated to fuel storage. The advantage of efficiency is not only fuel costs but likely more important range with less fuel. They also can exceed hull speed with modest HP so less weight and space dedicated to engine(s) and simpler engines. Phil’s boat has the typical sailboat Yanmar. Also the ability to do this in a “A” boat.
But TT is right for the liveaboard space for living and storage is huge. As is the ability to carry weight without effecting performance. All boats are beautiful but none do everything well. Trade off efficient and blue water capable with superior range and speed envelope v more space and carrying ability. Blue water capable v more draft and lower speed but more space. Phil’s boat drafts 3’. I draft 4’10” (really 5’ ) . In the Chessie that 2’ is meaningful. The N43 is a deep heavy thing with less usable space than the NT42 and about the same as the Ranger. But the N43 is a brick outhouse and safe in just about any weather. No free lunch.
Personally I think Nigel draws pretty boats. Doesn’t matter if it monster sailing cats, huge motor tris, or small boats. He has the eye and much like Bob Perry understands someone is going to use the boat so is really attentive to seaworthiness and ergonomics.
Would note Phil sold Outbound but also his sailboat. His dirt dwelling is in Ft. Lauderdale. He and his wife cruised up to New England. His wife loved it. He and Monica are very knowledgeable and picky wanting everything just right. So given his bride is gung-ho on the LDL it’s obviously cruisable over long distances and times.

Last edited:

That's where I see the value in speed. Or at least that's the only time I ever ran my boat fast (when I had a fast boat). We called it hub-and-spoke cruising, and it's typical for owners with a regular weekday job. Speed greatly expands your cruising grounds when you are limited to a weekend or a couple of weeks vacation. But once retired, or if you live & work on the boat, slower cruising is typically more comfortable, and the journey is just as interesting as the destination. That said, there are always days when another knot or two would be nice. :)

That's where I see the value in speed. Or at least that's the only time I ever ran my boat fast (when I had a fast boat). We called it hub-and-spoke cruising, and it's typical for owners with a regular weekday job. Speed greatly expands your cruising grounds when you are limited to a weekend or a couple of weeks vacation. But once retired, or if you live & work on the boat, slower cruising is typically more comfortable, and the journey is just as interesting as the destination. That said, there are always days when another knot or two would be nice. :)

Agree but would note already after a short time with a SD hull (a first for us) even though on the boat for months and months at a time there’s this.
Ability to work with much shorter weather windows.
Ability to ignore tidal currents when necessary.
Ability to make a bridge or lock opening when far away.
Ability to dodge traffic easier when crossing a busy harbor like NY/NJ , mouth of Savannah or chessie or so many other places.
Ability to get pass the pugly spots quickly.
Ability to not need crew and avoid overnights for much longer legs. Not ever being sleep deprived is a blessing. Not needing to arrange crew is also up there and one less stressor.

Thought I’d run my boat at 80% of hull speed all the time or even lower speeds . But reality is speed is addictive I’m not talking WOT but rather 10-15kt range. Once you’re past the hump and truly fully on plane effects of chop pretty much is gone. We have the choice of putting the SeaKeeper on or speeding up. Speed often wins. Have a short hour or two across a bay just speed up enough for a pleasant ride. If the night before the weather gurus say it will be bumpy all day on our course sure the SeaKeeper and genset is the cat’s whiskers. That’s the other big pull for LDL for the coastal crowd is that ability to exceed hull speed when you want. It does produce a major change in lifestyle, comfort and thinking/planning. Again no free lunch. Remain enamored by a well built FD boat. It’s not which is best. It’s what’s best for you. Don’t think FD is going away anytime soon. Do think LDL will get more appealing as time goes on. Majo downside not discussed is berthing availability and expense. I have equivalent living space at 42/44’ as a LDL at 58’ to 65’ . TT boat is nearly twice the space and carrying ability then a equivalent sized super efficient LDL.

Last edited:
For Sale, (still, or again?) is this old Halvo in Western Australia. The upkeep would be eye watering but as long as someone else is doing it, it`s beautiful to view.

[SNIP]

I have been scraping varnish for the last three weeks, so would hate to do the superstructure on this vessel! But it is beautiful.

Got a hold o Phil Lambert builder of Range Boat. He says all information and contacts are available at

RangeBoat.com

As a former GB owner just looking at all that beautiful woodwork makes me close to an upchuck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom