Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's an interesting start sequence on one of the older engines, this is an Atlas.

When you see these older engines, it's clear why the Detroit Diesels were so revolutionary when they were introduced in the 40s. A fraction of the size, a fraction of the weight, no full-time oiler filling oil pots, etc., push button starting... Wow.

Regarding that forward mast would that be a paravane rig? I see no evidence of paravanes or flopper stoppers. I guess it was used for hauling the nets or whatever cargo you would want to load or unload, fish of course in the past life.
It's a trawler. Those are outrigger booms.

Probably hauled a beam net or an otter net on both sides.

I'd bet it caught a lot of sole or flounder in its day. Maybe some shrimp.

Yes indeed a beam trawler with all her chafe gear stripped off her topsides. But there is a lot to like about this lovely conversion and lots of rigging possibilities as she stands. With some guy line mods you could handle freight, on deck of course cause I’m sure there are accommodations ( guessing ) below that deck hatch. There are tanks probably water forward as there are several overflow pipes visible. Her masts and booms are stout enough to do lots more than fish with some creative rigging. Don’t see why with those booms you couldn’t rig vanes as they appear to get close to midships. Nice boat wish I were younger with deeper pockets I’d make an offer a work a deal. I’d double her fuel capacity which is almost always doable on steel hulls. I’m surprised a bit on her draft but she’s light as a yacht so she probably carrying a few tons of trim ballast. A good sea trial in snotty weather will answer this.

Rick

Attachments

• groversbuilt.jpg
    groversbuilt.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 36
  • AlGrover2.jpg
    AlGrover2.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
After watching the Atlas engine startup, I recall the Taconite, when she was active in Vancouver, as having a pair of Atlas Air start, direct drive engines.
Watching her maneuver into a dock was always a treat. dead slow fwd, stop engines, restart in reverse for only a very few revolutions, stop again, restart in fwd or reverse, as needed, drift towards the dock. Repeat as necessary.
In each of those starts, the puffs of exhaust were separated, so appeared as individual smoke signals.
I last saw Taconite a few yrs after she was sold out of Vancouver and was based in Maple Bay, no shelter, little maintenance, so was starting to look neglected, then sold and gone away in about 2018 or 2019. Anyone seen her since then?
https://classicyacht.org/boats/taconite

and hope you don't run out of air for starting....operators were well versed in air management for restarts...or not and got cussed out by chief engineer... or took out the dock...

Those big Atlas Imperials, Enterprises, Wintons, and others even the later Fairbanks Morse opposed pistons were fascinating to watch in operation and the engineers who ran them. Most had at least two big air receiver tanks so plenty of air if managed right. I once made a day run on an old sardine seiner out of San Pedro once with a gorgeous Cooper Bessemer and was in the engine room during maneuvers, what an experience watching the old man stop and reverse on quick telegraph commands. Those were the days.

Rick

Seems TF has been missing my email inbox?? Just setting this post to see if this reactivates TF thread-post email to me.

Seems that for some reason I've become screwed up re passwords!!?? Tried to reset password... but... TF email that was supposed to soon arrive never made it.

Last edited:
Those big Atlas Imperials, Enterprises, Wintons, and others even the later Fairbanks Morse opposed pistons were fascinating to watch in operation and the engineers who ran them. Most had at least two big air receiver tanks so plenty of air if managed right. I once made a day run on an old sardine seiner out of San Pedro once with a gorgeous Cooper Bessemer and was in the engine room during maneuvers, what an experience watching the old man stop and reverse on quick telegraph commands. Those were the days.

Rick

I remember going out through the Ballard Locks in Seattle at the conclusion of of one of the Seafair's. Probably 1979 or 1980. We were in a 65' retired tugboat owned by Jon Patterson of Gig Harbor. The boat had an inline Enterprise slow speed (390 rpm) direct reversing engine. Continually starting and stopping the engine, so as to not build up too much speed, Jon turned to me and said "I sure hope we don't run out of air to start the engine!" . . . . we didn't, but I think it was only because the both of us were praying that we didn't run out!:D Ahhhh, Good Times. . . . . you could dance to the sound of that engine . . . .

I remember going out through the Ballard Locks in Seattle at the conclusion of of one of the Seafair's. Probably 1979 or 1980. We were in a 65' retired tugboat owned by Jon Patterson of Gig Harbor. The boat had an inline Enterprise slow speed (390 rpm) direct reversing engine. Continually starting and stopping the engine, so as to not build up too much speed, Jon turned to me and said "I sure hope we don't run out of air to start the engine!" . . . . we didn't, but I think it was only because the both of us were praying that we didn't run out!:D Ahhhh, Good Times. . . . . you could dance to the sound of that engine . . . .

Can you explain the starting/stopping for me? That's a new one for me. Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question.

Can you explain the starting/stopping for me? That's a new one for me. Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question.

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, it’s a direct connection of the prop shaft to the engine. No clutch. For reverse, you stop the engine and fire it up reverse rotation.
The rule when coming in was to aim for the company dock or a company boat if you couldn’t get it restarted in reverse.

Here is a summary of how direct reversible engines work with the understanding that different manufacturers utilize different linkages and sequences and two cycle and four cycle. Anyway any reversing engine must have provisions for reversing oil and cooling water pumps, blowers and superchargers. In addition this type of engine has two camshafts. One cam changes the intake valve opening period for starting air and change fuel injection timing. On Four cycle engines the second cam changes the valve timing also. On the engines I’ve seen reversed the engineer actuates compression release valve which almost stalls the engine, shifts the cam then shoots air into the cylinders to reverse direction and the light off.

With opposed piston Fairbanks Morse that I’ve seen in tugs the flywheel has a large braking surface so when the compression releases are hit there are hydraulic brake pads that stop engine movement, the air to reverse and go. Two cycles are easier as they have no exhaust valves. I’m sure I’m missing something here so perhaps more experience will correct me as necessary.

Rick

Oh cool was watching my favorite show Deadliest Catch and saw Red Cloud briefly in one if the scenes...Capt. Rip Carlton in "Measure of the Man".

Attachments

• 20221124_152357.jpg
    20221124_152357.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 57
Yeah too expensive for a one off boat that’s not finished out all that nicely inside, imo.

Here is one for you

I was anchored at Warren Island in Penobscot Bay, Maine when this vessel came down the bay. It turned around my bow and continued on.

https://youtu.be/hhrapcEeffs

Just because it floats doesn’t mean it’s a boat. Just my humble opinion

An interesting (IMHO) boat:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2021-custom-spencer-lincoln-flowers-cruiser-8607594/

It's sort of a cross between a downeast design and a double-ended trawler. I don't quite know what to make of it, except that I mostly like it, very much. A Spencer-Lincoln hull design can't be beat, Flowers has a fantastic reputation for construction quality, and the Gamage Shipyard likewise has a long history for being among the best. It's probably built extremely well and very seaworthy.

Some interesting design choices, maybe most notably, the solid aft bulkhead in the deckhouse. View aft is limited to two small portholes. It would make backing into a slip interesting, and on its own would be a deal-breaker for me (docking and backing in is already anxiety-inducing enough, I wouldn't want to try it blind, or having to lean out the door). The solid aft bulkhead would also preclude the cockpit area feeling like it's connected to the cabin, though without it there would be very little seating inside. Deckhouse seems beautifully finished, though I wouldn't want the maintenance headaches of so much exterior wood, especially for the windows (leaks anyone)?

Whaddya think?

Attachments

• SpencerLincoln.jpg
    SpencerLincoln.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 56
  • aft.jpg
    aft.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 54
Looks almost like a caricature of a boat. The stern view is cartoonish. Like one would see on a Popeye reel.

Build quality looks fantastic and tasteful otherwise.

This thing looks like it was designed by committee. It’s assemblage of lobster boat hull that ran into somebody who had the idea that an elliptical stern carrying most of the beam would be a nice touch. I can almost visualize this shop trying to mold this stern from the original flat transom lobster boat mold. Must have been a lot of work for something that looks like zwaarden or Dutch canal barge stern. And the deckhouse is all 90° angles that look like a house carpenter used a square on every surface and juncture. Even the trunk cabin forward is totally incongruent as a straight line roof almost like it’s trying to piss off the shear line. Then those comely trolly house bridge windows look like somebody just read a book on old Trumpy’s. Every cabinet below appears to be off the shelf Home Depot or some shop’s copy. Nothing below deck appears to be custom or fitted and every angle 90°.

Gamage is an old name yard but you must understand after Harvey Gamsge died his Son Lin ( Linwood ) just kind of hung around, stored boats and let the big building, the one where they built USN minesweepers in, just deteriorate. The yard has changed hands many times but bestican recall never got anything going. I don’t know who owns it now.

Rick

Looks almost like a caricature of a boat. The stern view is cartoonish. Like one would see on a Popeye reel.

I'm whacky enough that I like the looks. But then, I also like tug styles.

This thing looks like it was designed by committee.

Completely agree. I can't imagine the story behind the boat. Seems very unlikely that it would have been built as a spec boat, on the gamble someone would show up to buy it, since the styling is so, particular. Seems like someone's very personal design that was contracted out to Flowers and Gamage to build, probably at great expense - certainly well over $1 million to build it?

Then what happened? Ran out of money? Died? Changed their minds after they woke up in the morning and saw what they were doing? As you pointed out, some of the execution looks rushed and to a price, such as the below decks finish and fittings. Almost like someone backed out of the project partway through, and the yard tried to make the best of it, finish it off as inexpensively as possible, and try to recoup some of the costs.

It was listed for sale for quite a while at $700k, and now a modest price reduction with a new broker. I looked at it over and over again. While the price is reasonable for a new build, I just couldn't get past all the design and execution compromises. I just couldn't see how we would practically use it.

I suspect it might be on the market for a while, or unless the price is lowered to the point where someone can overlook all the compromises.

You're right again, Gamage was sold recently. I've spoken a few times to Mike about a few potential projects. He was with the yard for several years beforehand. He seems very knowledgeable and capable, and was more than supportive and extremely helpful as well as friendly and accessible to deal with.

https://maineboats.com/blog/2021/new-owners-gamage-shipyard

The other thing that puzzles me is that this is a typical lobster boat underbody with a round hard bilge turn, angular 3/4 keel with some depth at the forefoot but the aft sections are all performance lobster boat with a moderately flat run aft. She’s neither fish nor fowl wrong design for comfortable low speed cruising and not enough power to get up and go. Just spitballing here

Rick

Backup view?? I simply love flyingbridges!!

An interesting (IMHO) boat:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2021-custom-spencer-lincoln-flowers-cruiser-8607594/

It's sort of a cross between a downeast design and a double-ended trawler. I don't quite know what to make of it, except that I mostly like it, very much. A Spencer-Lincoln hull design can't be beat, Flowers has a fantastic reputation for construction quality, and the Gamage Shipyard likewise has a long history for being among the best. It's probably built extremely well and very seaworthy.

Some interesting design choices, maybe most notably, the solid aft bulkhead in the deckhouse. View aft is limited to two small portholes. It would make backing into a slip interesting, and on its own would be a deal-breaker for me (docking and backing in is already anxiety-inducing enough, I wouldn't want to try it blind, or having to lean out the door). The solid aft bulkhead would also preclude the cockpit area feeling like it's connected to the cabin, though without it there would be very little seating inside. Deckhouse seems beautifully finished, though I wouldn't want the maintenance headaches of so much exterior wood, especially for the windows (leaks anyone)?

Whaddya think?
That stern reminds me of the queen song..."Fat Bottom Girls"....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom