Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took a

Really like all the korvets, Artnauticas and Arksen. But for me the pick of the litter is the Arksen 65. Truly suited to long term family cruising anywhere in the world and like the no nonsense form follows function lines of her. A good design. Runnable by mom and pop but real stateroom sleeping for 6. Excellent range and not genset dependent at anchor. Would do with Humphrees if mostly ocean and Magnus if doing more skinny waters.
Recreational North Americans seem to have a preference for grp but as time goes on think even on this side of the pond we’ll be seeing more of this type of vessel. Wish a North American house did a similar series production of this type of vessel. The Gerr Kanter is in the ballpark but think the European, Circa boats make use of more current thinking.
A 50’ deep water did transatlantic recently without issue. Believe she was less money than the N51 and much less wait time.
In the tropics cruisers commonly wear black if in the shade and white if in the sun. Thinking is if in the shade black allows you to radiate more heat. Still agree for a dome of any sort silver or white would seem to be more logical.

look at the Arksen 65' . No sorry 65' and not nice big "saloon" only a small L seat, no separate wheelhouse,yes you can put a curtain between seat and wheelhouse but in this case no more view aft.

Surface off the cabin are not big, no dors from the wheelhouse, 3.70m it is too high to european canal (at less for the French one who can bring you to Channel to Mediterranean) 3000nm at witch speed with how much tankage I don't find this information

65' 19.81m it is near same our former Long-Cours 62 19.45m(older concept but design from 1993...) beam Arksen 5.00 LC4.92, draft Arksen 1.17m twin ruder LC 1.30m one rudder, Arksen 31.5T LC 32T...
Similar in size but we had a real "saloon"
I can't fix my wooden heater/cooker inside de Arksen !:eek::rofl:

Attachments

• amenagement-coque.jpg
    amenagement-coque.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 43
  • saloon.jpg
    saloon.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Looks like salon to me. But agree other than the stern companion way no doors. Would like at least one ideally two. Boats a semi custom can be modified. If the outside steering was redone or removed it’s overhead airdraft would drop considerably. Easy to remove and lay on deck while doing canals if necessary or just remove and ship beyond last obstacle. Personally would prefer radar, antennas and domes on an arch aft which would also be easily done and easy to drop partially or totally to lower airdraft. With an arch could increase windage aft so be steady at anchor with less hunting.

Attachments

• 035A3155-E728-45D1-955D-3EF7542DCB42.jpg
    035A3155-E728-45D1-955D-3EF7542DCB42.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Too small for our taste

Looks like salon to me. But agree other than the stern companion way no doors. Would like at least one ideally two. Boats a semi custom can be modified. If the outside steering was redone or removed it’s overhead airdraft would drop considerably. Easy to remove and lay on deck while doing canals if necessary or just remove and ship beyond last obstacle. Personally would prefer radar, antennas and domes on an arch aft which would also be easily done and easy to drop partially or totally to lower airdraft. With an arch could increase windage aft so be steady at anchor with less hunting.
from behin the seat for the wheel to the kitchen is 7.8m2 compared to our 10.7m2, near 30% less !
When we thinking built an another LC62 we thinking in one side put the floor 2 steep down for the kitchen in this case inside the boat look like an "half wide body" because the volume under the companion way become a counter for the kitchen but in another hand we lost some space in engine room .but could be only 100x40 cm

Different boats different folks. Respect your opinion and would further customize the Arksen as stated but still prefer it. Glad you’re happy with your boat design. But don’t find your objections that important to me.
Having been a live aboard and doing blue water actually prefer the shorter distances. Passage was with four. 90%+ of the time on the anchor was with two. Occasionally travelled with 6. Socializing was either 2 or 3 additional couples. Parties were on pleasant days so people outside as well as in. Not impressed with big wide open spaces on a cruising boat.

Big salon

I like big salon and big table because when friends come on board..., on our boat built in Vietnam the length of the U seat was 4 m and the size of the table 2 x .9 m we can eat 8+ with out trouble and let enough space at one end of the table for my friend 's german shepper "Zaky boy" :)
On LC62 the U seat was only 3.25m and still left enough place at the end for our Dryade because dog always like this place:rofl:

Attachments

• 100_1405.jpg
    100_1405.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Last edited:
Not confortable at 27 kts (top 40) certainly :)

But long she can 57 hours at 27 kts 1539 nm

If you slow down to 20 kts probably could cross from Capo Verde to Brazil in less than 4 days :)

Not sure the camouflage paint job helps the boat go unnoticed ...

I kinda don't hate it... I would never ever in a million billion years do it myself, but I'm glad someone else did.

Agree interesting vessel. Very purposed designed. Wave piercing bows and LDL boats go back to the triremes of the ancient Mediterranean. All about efficiency be it hydrocarbon or human power.

Now here’s a sad story. Older couple put two new John Deere engines and two new generators in this Tolly 57 then lived aboard for five years while their health failed and the boat came down around them. I took a look to see if it might be worth trying to restore but all the water damage to the interior wood and the rat’s nest of wiring in the engine room were more than I wanted to bite off. Looks like someone more courageous is taking the plunge as it’s now listed as sale pending. I wish them well.

https://www.nwyachtnet.com/boats-for-sale/1991-tollycraft-57-pilothouse-olympia-washington-8500131/

Now here’s a sad story. Older couple put two new John Deere engines and two new generators in this Tolly 57 then lived aboard for five years while their health failed and the boat came down around them. I took a look to see if it might be worth trying to restore but all the water damage to the interior wood and the rat’s nest of wiring in the engine room were more than I wanted to bite off. Looks like someone more courageous is taking the plunge as it’s now listed as sale pending. I wish them well.

https://www.nwyachtnet.com/boats-for-sale/1991-tollycraft-57-pilothouse-olympia-washington-8500131/

Five to ten years ago I would have been interested in this boat. Exactly my kind of project boat. It’s 99% cosmetic and 80% labor. Unlike Comodave, I have done my last boat restoration, unless I were to down size to a sub 30’ boat.

I love Tolly's. If I wasn't in the midst of ramping up the biggest business in my life I might inquire. Unfortunate for the PO's... but... age is simply a wait and you shall see fact of life.

Looked through the ad:

- Hours on the new-2017 JD engines?
- Average cruise speed and gph at ?? speeds
- Asking price ??
- Sad that engine room has under 5' headroom... that's a purchase-deterrent for me.

Attachments

• 310875374_5495385570554439_1832076961824516394_n.jpg
    310875374_5495385570554439_1832076961824516394_n.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I love Tolly's. If I wasn't in the midst of ramping up the biggest business in my life I might inquire. Unfortunate for the PO's... but... age is simply a wait and you shall see fact of life.

Looked through the ad:

- Hours on the new-2017 JD engines?
- Average cruise speed and gph at ?? speeds
- Asking price ??
- Sad that engine room has under 5' headroom... that's a purchase-deterrent for me.

The broker didn’t have the engine hours because he didn’t have the key to turn on the digital guages. In five years of mostly sitting it could not have been many. The new generators had a hundred odd hours on them. He was asking $299k but suggested $250 would do the trick. The engine room was indeed cramped with only crawl around access to the far sides of the engines. Access is from the cockpit, which is another ding. I guesstimated that she’d burn six gallons an hour or so running 1200 rpm at trawler speeds, so maybe 1600 nm range with 1200 gallon tanks.

Reactions: Art
More info on the "wave piercer "

Finally concept was made for ...long range even a kite sail was made at origine
https://www.topspeed.com/boats/boat-news/maryslim-yacht-makes-debut/

My only question is to reach the bow an fix some rope ... or anchor ?

And why choose jet to try to be more economical ?

https://youtu.be/wBUQR3YirDM

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/...8271a&pid=slippery-when-wet-g2jpg-promo-image

Seems to be similar in concept to thunder child
https://www.safehavenmarine.com/the-boat

05b1ce_462aea967e7f4704b4734e75e0850aac~mv2_d_2165_1444_s_2.jpg

But for me if I was running a narrow gutted thing like that I'd find a bit extra for some amas

Adastra.jpg

I used to own a small sailboat with a single ama. Wow that baby would fly across Tampa Bay. The structure couldn’t handle the stresses at those speeds and I broke and bent metal parts all over it.

Wow that was fun!

Well except for having to push the boat home across the flats when my rudder flew off, shuffling my bare feet because of all the stingrays and crabs and sharp thingies down there.

Last edited:
Agree if the goal is only to do oceans fast and efficiently tris seem to have a lot going for them.

Could someone explain the technique for docking a big tri against a T dock for fuel or or storage? I have enough trouble with my little single screw mono hull. The autonomous Pilgrim 400:was secured bow and stern with the usual springs. Assume a work boat helped set the lines. Could see a med moor being easier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom