Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Interesting. This boat has been on and off the market since 2017, when I saw it offered for sale and went aboard at the Seattle Boat Show. It’s beautifully done, but to very particular tastes. It strictly a boat for a couple, with no real lounging or entertainment area.

The price of $1.6 million is also interesting. I’ve seen it offered for less than half that price in the recent past.

Interesting. This boat has been on and off the market since 2017, when I saw it offered for sale and went aboard at the Seattle Boat Show. It’s beautifully done, but to very particular tastes. It strictly a boat for a couple, with no real lounging or entertainment area.

The price of $1.6 million is also interesting. I’ve seen it offered for less than half that price in the recent past.

They did add that roof on the stern since the boat show. I'm sure that added a million to the sale price:rofl:

Nothing about that boat screams $1M+ to me, especially the ugly color and the rather spartan deck finishing. Pretty telling that there are no interior pics and a 56' boat with 1 double bed? It may be intersting, but not in a desireable way.

They did add that roof on the stern since the boat show. I'm sure that added a million to the sale price:rofl:

Nothing about that boat screams $1M+ to me, especially the ugly color and the rather spartan deck finishing. Pretty telling that there are no interior pics and a 56' boat with 1 double bed? It may be intersting, but not in a desireable way.

I spent a fair amount of time on the boat at the 2017 Seattle show. I recall an article in a magazine around that time (probably Passagemaker?) on the boat.

I was impressed with the construction quality. I remember reading about the method used to bond the aluminum cabin structure to the steel hull, some type of ‘explosive’ process that essentially melt fused the metals together. I also seem to remember the magazine article mentioning some Seattle tech tycoon as the builder. It was a very cool boat, but puzzling to be offered for sale so soon after it was built.

But… to me the interior layout was very… particular. The pilothouse was great, with the galley immediately behind the helm. The main stateroom was very ‘west coast tech hip’, with a plush shower/sauna.

But, that was about it. What struck me was the absence of any other seating. I remember a small seat just to the starboard of the helm, for one person (or maybe two very friendly and small people) - and nothing else. No settees, no dinette, no place else to sit.

I remember the forward cabin area being open, with no door. There were two separate single bunks there, with some sort of partition between them. Maybe for short naps?

That was it for interior accommodations that I remember. I recall the machinery being impressive and well laid out. But, I couldn’t see how the boat would actually be used, with no place to sit other than the helm seat and small adjacent seat.

It looked and felt very ‘commercial’ and tough. My recollection at the time (which with my aging brain may be unreliable) was of progressively lower asking prices, as low as $575k. I talked with the broker at the time, asking if an offer of $500k would be entertained. He encouraged me to make the bid. But I didn’t, because as cool as the boat was, I just couldn’t see how we would actually use it.

It strikes me as the folly of some billionaire tech bro, with unlimited funds for the best construction quality, but a thoroughly impractical design. Perhaps why it was first offered for sale after virtually no use. If this was a year ago another tech tycoon may well have snapped it up at the current, aggressive, ask. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with it now.

Last edited:
Nick14: Pretty impressive memory i'd say! I remember that article as well and also wondered why it was sold so quickly. It really bummed me out when I saw the "new" paint job as the original paint job was so unique and fit the boat perfectly. The current owner has not had the boat long. It was parked next to their floating home on the ship canal in Seattle before moving it to Bellingham.

Adopo I can understand WHY you like this boat ...but sorry the owner of the leg don't stay on board for the sale ! :)

Nick14: Pretty impressive memory i'd say! I remember that article as well and also wondered why it was sold so quickly. It really bummed me out when I saw the "new" paint job as the original paint job was so unique and fit the boat perfectly. The current owner has not had the boat long. It was parked next to their floating home on the ship canal in Seattle before moving it to Bellingham.

:lol:

It's amazing, and sad, what my aging brain remembers (and more importantly doesn't remember).

Agree that the band-aid/flesh tone hull color is another very personal and particular taste :eek:.
Not sure if it makes the boat more sellable or adds $700k to the price.

Is there any irony that it is named for the only US president who was
never voted for either as president or vice-president. Or is it just me?

Not sure it's ironic. I'd give him a pass because he was a victim of circumstances. Doesn't make him any less of an American. Also, there's this history to his credit.

Following the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, Ford enlisted in the Navy.[29] He received a commission as ensign in the U.S. Naval Reserve on April 13, 1942.[30] On April 20, he reported for active duty to the V-5 instructor school at Annapolis, Maryland. After one month of training, he went to Navy Preflight School in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, where he was one of 83 instructors and taught elementary navigation skills, ordnance, gunnery, first aid, and military drill. In addition, he coached all nine sports that were offered, but mostly swimming, boxing, and football. During the year he was at the Preflight School, he was promoted to Lieutenant, Junior Grade, on June 2, 1942, and to lieutenant, in March 1943.[31]

Sea duty
After Ford applied for sea duty, he was sent in May 1943 to the pre-commissioning detachment for the new aircraft carrier USS Monterey (CVL-26), at New York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, New Jersey. From the ship's commissioning on June 17, 1943, until the end of December 1944, Ford served as the assistant navigator, Athletic Officer, and antiaircraft battery officer on board the Monterey. While he was on board, the carrier participated in many actions in the Pacific Theater with the Third and Fifth Fleets in late 1943 and 1944. In 1943, the carrier helped secure Makin Island in the Gilberts, and participated in carrier strikes against Kavieng, New Ireland in 1943. During the spring of 1944, the Monterey supported landings at Kwajalein and Eniwetok and participated in carrier strikes in the Marianas, Western Carolines, and northern New Guinea, as well as in the Battle of the Philippine Sea.[32] After an overhaul, from September to November 1944, aircraft from the Monterey launched strikes against Wake Island, participated in strikes in the Philippines and Ryukyus, and supported the landings at Leyte and Mindoro.[32]

Although the ship was not damaged by the Empire of Japan's forces, the Monterey was one of several ships damaged by Typhoon Cobra that hit Admiral William Halsey's Third Fleet on December 18–19, 1944. The Third Fleet lost three destroyers and over 800 men during the typhoon. The Monterey was damaged by a fire, which was started by several of the ship's aircraft tearing loose from their cables and colliding on the hangar deck. Ford was serving as General Quarters Officer of the Deck and was ordered to go below to assess the raging fire. He did so safely, and reported his findings back to the ship's commanding officer, Captain Stuart H. Ingersoll. The ship's crew was able to contain the fire, and the ship got underway again.[33]

After the fire, the Monterey was declared unfit for service. Ford was detached from the ship and sent to the Navy Pre-Flight School at Saint Mary's College of California, where he was assigned to the Athletic Department until April 1945. From the end of April 1945 to January 1946, he was on the staff of the Naval Reserve Training Command, Naval Air Station, Glenview, Illinois, at the rank of lieutenant commander.[23]

Ford received the following military awards: the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with nine 3⁄16" bronze stars (for operations in the Gilbert Islands, Bismarck Archipelago, Marshall Islands, Asiatic and Pacific carrier raids, Hollandia, Marianas, Western Carolines, Western New Guinea, and the Leyte Operation), the Philippine Liberation Medal with two 3⁄16" bronze stars (for Leyte and Mindoro), and the World War II Victory Medal.[29] He was honorably discharged in February 1946.[23]

Not sure it's ironic. I'd give him a pass because he was a victim of circumstances. Doesn't make him any less of an American. Also, there's this history to his credit.
(edit)...
Ford received the following military awards: the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with nine 3⁄16" bronze stars (for operations in the Gilbert Islands, Bismarck Archipelago, Marshall Islands, Asiatic and Pacific carrier raids, Hollandia, Marianas, Western Carolines, Western New Guinea, and the Leyte Operation), the Philippine Liberation Medal with two 3⁄16" bronze stars (for Leyte and Mindoro), and the World War II Victory Medal.[29] He was honorably discharged in February 1946.[23]
Absolute respect for the man and his record. We could use more like him.

I was thinking more about the ship's rocky path along the way and the
troubles that led to GRF becoming President Ford. And that pardon...

Last edited:
Absolute respect for the man and his record. We could use more like him.

I was thinking more about the ship's rocky path along the way and the
troubles that led to GRF becoming President Ford. And that pardon...

I think we can all agree that it was a rocky time for our country. To my memory the pardon, although very controversial, was done as a method of healing the country and moving forward. There might be a lesson there. Not saying I'm in favor of pardons, but more about becoming a more unified nation.

It's amazing, and sad, what my aging brain remembers (and more importantly doesn't remember).

Agree that the band-aid/flesh tone hull color is another very personal and particular taste :eek:.

If memory is a measurement of age, then I'm about 180 years old! The original paint can still be seen below the new awlgrip along the waterline. I don't know how they did it, but they made the paint look "antique" from the get go. Would love to know how they did it for curiosity sake.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...ed-fleming-43-bridgedeck-motor-cruiser/283155

What is the role of the large black handle to the right of the helm station?

5_4.jpg

43_4.jpg
Jake brake

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Trawler Forum mobile app

Frog Prince Folding 52' Boat

I think this qualifies as interesting, even if I have no interest in owning one. A 52' folding boat powered by a pair of 10 hp outboards. The bow is split in two sections which fold alongside the mid-section of the boat (both hinges have a vertical axis) and the stern pivots up to lay on top of the cabin house. It's like a giant nesting boat, minus the nesting part :blush:

Attachments

• Frog Prince.jpg
    Frog Prince.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 44
I think this qualifies as interesting, even if I have no interest in owning one. A 52' folding boat powered by a pair of 10 hp outboards. The bow is split in two sections which fold alongside the mid-section of the boat (both hinges have a vertical axis) and the stern pivots up to lay on top of the cabin house. It's like a giant nesting boat, minus the nesting part :blush:
That's exactly what I would have said if I split my boat in half lifting it.:lol:

No engine room pics. I don't like the paint job. Interior and layout too spartan.

I suspect the command cabins aka berthing spaces are equipped with many comforts. Wardrooms too. As always, the higher up the command structure, the nicer the equipment.

and the only way you will see the ER is to sign up and be nuclear power trained. (I was trained on sub nuclear plants not aircraft carrier nuc plants so even I signed back up, I would not be permitted to see much of this ER if at all.)

).

And they couldn't even be bothered trying to pull a straight line between the band-aid and grey.:facepalm:

And they couldn't even be bothered trying to pull a straight line between the band-aid and grey.:facepalm:

:):D:eek:

Amazing, isn’t it? Looks to me like someone had some porch paint left over, and did it themselves with a brush while hanging over the side. I can’t get over the color, but I guess someone must have liked it.

But what can you expect for the bargain-basement price of only $1.2 million? If someone wants a professional paint job, the price would be much higher.

I spent a fair amount of time on the boat at the 2017 Seattle show. I recall an article in a magazine around that time (probably Passagemaker?) on the boat.

I was impressed with the construction quality. I remember reading about the method used to bond the aluminum cabin structure to the steel hull, some type of ‘explosive’ process that essentially melt fused the metals together. I also seem to remember the magazine article mentioning some Seattle tech tycoon as the builder. It was a very cool boat, but puzzling to be offered for sale so soon after it was built.

But… to me the interior layout was very… particular. The pilothouse was great, with the galley immediately behind the helm. The main stateroom was very ‘west coast tech hip’, with a plush shower/sauna.

But, that was about it. What struck me was the absence of any other seating. I remember a small seat just to the starboard of the helm, for one person (or maybe two very friendly and small people) - and nothing else. No settees, no dinette, no place else to sit.

I remember the forward cabin area being open, with no door. There were two separate single bunks there, with some sort of partition between them. Maybe for short naps?

That was it for interior accommodations that I remember. I recall the machinery being impressive and well laid out. But, I couldn’t see how the boat would actually be used, with no place to sit other than the helm seat and small adjacent seat.

It looked and felt very ‘commercial’ and tough. My recollection at the time (which with my aging brain may be unreliable) was of progressively lower asking prices, as low as $575k. I talked with the broker at the time, asking if an offer of $500k would be entertained. He encouraged me to make the bid. But I didn’t, because as cool as the boat was, I just couldn’t see how we would actually use it.

It strikes me as the folly of some billionaire tech bro, with unlimited funds for the best construction quality, but a thoroughly impractical design. Perhaps why it was first offered for sale after virtually no use. If this was a year ago another tech tycoon may well have snapped it up at the current, aggressive, ask. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with it now.

Actually, the original owner who commissioned the build was an architect living in Colorado. As I recall, he mentioned to me that his wife and family did not share his interest in boating so he was considering selling the boat (which was built in Port Townsend). That was no less than 10 years ago. So, a sad and unsatisfactory outcome for someone’s “dream boat” made real…Careful what you wish for ;-)

Not sure why you would build a boat knowing that nobody in your family was interested in boating. Maybe he was wishing for something else?

Back
Top Bottom