Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right? That's what I am trying to figure, why the 5 cabins? And why a boat that size with two staterooms unless it was for a couple and a captain/crew.

I see sometimes in Yachtworld they think of each space as a "cabin". So it might be they're counting the 2 staterooms plus the pilot house, salon & dining room. Drives me crazy that you can't properly search YW based on # of staterooms as that's critical for us as a family of 5!

But yeah - it's a very weird setup. I guess you can build it however you want if it's a custom.

The asymmetric hulls can develop lift if done correctly. For sail can also generate more lateral resistance hence less leeway.
Hybrid power does make sense now. Especially parallel hybrid in my view. Sufficient range for short hop one day trips and /or moving about the harbor. Long legs from the diesel for passages with an occasional boost from solar generated electric. Combined use when high HP required. Add in redundancy in worst case sceneries and it’s a winner right now. You’ll still stuck needing a light efficient boat but not stuck in the spiral of needs more power and range so needing more weight and space so needing more power……..

Last edited:
Hybrid power does make sense now. Especially parallel hybrid in my view. Sufficient range for short hop one day trips and /or moving about the harbor. Long legs from the diesel for passages with an occasional boost from solar generated electric. Combined use when high HP required. Add in redundancy in worst case sceneries and it’s a winner right now. You’ll still stuck needing a light efficient boat but not stuck in the spiral of needs more power and range so needing more weight and space so needing more power……..

It's a winner if you ignore reality and maths.

Why are the three I mentioned....gimmicks? Zen 50, Silent Yachts, Alva Yachts.

The tech is still in its infancy.

The batteries currently wont take you far enough.
The marine grid is not anywhere close to be able to fast charge
The cost is too great per unit.

I wasn't picking on any specific all electric boat, I am massing the current ones all together.
the tech just isn't there.. yet

HOLLYWOOD

I agree, but the move toward electric seems to be taking hold and progressing faster than I expected. Whether that's good or bad time will tell. Without the infrastructure it won't work except for those that rely mainly on solar with generator backup like the Silent 55 for instance. Still a hefty entrance fee.

Greenline is the company that comes to mind for so called hybrid. I have thought these would make great canal boats. But you do need plenty of sun. I've looked at these at shows and thought the interiors were not up to par. Sharp edges, not so good laminates. Just my observation on the particular boat I saw at the time.

GREENLINE HYBRID - The Future of Responsible Boating

This is interesting, they claim you will cruise in electric 1/3rd of the time. No generator needed.

Last edited:
Just like the debate over the latest trend for electric vehicles only, I'm thinking we should start slow and then based on success, move up from there. I just got an epropulsion outboard for my inflatable. I love it. Would I rely on it, Hell no! Already had to make a u-turn after not having faith I could make it back to the boat. Very uncomfortable to have to keep on looking at the meter, slowing down, etc to extend my range. Thinking of trawlers, we are many decades away from any sort of infrastructure for recharging. We can't even build the infrastructure to pump out as it is. Until it becomes practical to recharge batteries with solar/generator, to be able to cruise for several hours at several knots, it's not worth looking at for me. This all or nothing approach is bewildering to me.

I agree, but the move toward electric seems to be taking hold and progressing faster than I expected. Whether that's good or bad time will tell. Without the infrastructure it won't work except for those that rely mainly on solar with generator backup like the Silent 55 for instance. Still a hefty entrance fee.

A hell of a lot of people have more money than sense.
Given that, it makes me wonder how they got to have the money..

Reminded of a friend of my wife buying a $70,000 Tesla to replace the10 year old but mint condition 4cyl corolla
Literally only drives it on the weekend for grocery shopping 5klm away and a trip down the coast, 200klm return twice a year.

Grocery delivery or uber for short trips and a stretch limo hire for the long trips will be far cheaper and zero maintenance and could rent the garage for $200 a month to cover costs.

Nup, electric car is the economical and environmentally friendly thing to do.
Drink that koolaid, drink it up. :facepalm:

Greetings,
Mr. S. Fully agree but I have no doubt a changeover is coming...at some point. Now, it's the cart before the horse IMO.

Full Cycle, Carbon Neutral liquid hydrocarbon fuels are coming. Gasoline, diesel and jet fuels. Fungible and drop-in ready to mix with fossil fuels. You can bank on it!

Any references, Art?

Relatively soon. Myself and associates are getting ready to launch a sector for new source energy. Over two decades aback what's coming; many universities, some govt orgs, public companies and private companies. At correct time I'll mention viewer access to learn about systems and product lines. Will be on the news. Major moves planned for 2023/24. Thanks for asking! :thumb:

Any references, Art?

I remember reading about Porsche investigating substitute gasoline like Art is describing. I'm sure they're not the only ones looking into it.

I remember reading about Porsche investigating substitute gasoline like Art is describing. I'm sure they're not the only ones looking into it.

God - We hope [and know] we are not the only ones. All for One and One for All! The apropos outlook in order to "in-time" Save Earth's Ecosphere.

Before... the trajectories of trade winds, jet stream and oceanic currents get so far out of whack that they will not return to their current seasonal-conditioning paths and therefore all weather and climate conditions alter beyond recognition. Civilization's life or death global possibility.

So who makes successful hybrid boats and who's buying them in noticeable quantities?

Why would a boat have to be bought in "noticeable quantities" to be considered successful? I mentioned three different hybrid boats that you can order today.

The tech is still in its infancy.

The batteries currently wont take you far enough.
The marine grid is not anywhere close to be able to fast charge
The cost is too great per unit.

I wasn't picking on any specific all electric boat, I am massing the current ones all together.
the tech just isn't there.. yet

HOLLYWOOD

They are regarded by solar. Have you checked out those boats I mentioned?

Should also mention Artnautica, Arksen and Deep Water all offer hybrid. These are series production boats with some ability for customizing but limited. These are boats with transoceanic range and aimed at the long term cruising crowd. The above mentioned companies are selling boats and are solvent after some years. They are winning awards in Europe and Oceania. Us North Americans are a bit behind the curve.
My statement was hybrid (not pure electric) makes sense now. Have spent days and days waiting for wind. Whistling doesn’t always work. Have no interest waiting for sun. So personally for present would prefer hybrid.
My nightmare is no sun for days and then being hit by weather. If I did pure electric it would still have a genset or fuel cell or something to get me at least away from serious weather regardless of solar output. Think only that is the insurmountable Achilles heel. Need range at a decent speed when the sun doesn’t shine. The pure solar Plymouth 400 just lied ahull when charge and or weather forced it to. It was autonomous. Most people won’t put up with that in a cruising boat.

Last edited:
Should also mention Artnautica, Arksen and Deep Water all offer hybrid. These are series production boats with some ability for customizing but limited. These are boats with transoceanic range and aimed at the long term cruising crowd. The above mentioned companies are selling boats and are solvent after some years. They are winning awards in Europe and Oceania. Us North Americans are a bit behind the curve.
My statement was hybrid (not pure electric) makes sense now. Have spent days and days waiting for wind. Whistling doesn’t always work. Have no interest waiting for sun. So personally for present would prefer hybrid.

Yes, those too are goof ones, and several more. One catamaran I know of, only 15meters, has 460 kWh battery bank! Of course, its European.

A hell of a lot of people have more money than sense.
Given that, it makes me wonder how they got to have the money..

Reminded of a friend of my wife buying a $70,000 Tesla to replace the10 year old but mint condition 4cyl corolla
Literally only drives it on the weekend for grocery shopping 5klm away and a trip down the coast, 200klm return twice a year.

Grocery delivery or uber for short trips and a stretch limo hire for the long trips will be far cheaper and zero maintenance and could rent the garage for $200 a month to cover costs.

Nup, electric car is the economical and environmentally friendly thing to do.
Drink that koolaid, drink it up. :facepalm:
Having taken trips in Teslas I can comment on the reasons to own one
first-hand. They offer a very high quality driving experience. The cost per
passenger mile, including maintenance, is very low. The ability to recharge
with rooftop solar is a major savings. They are much safer than an
econobox in the event of a crash. Unlike petro-fueled vehicles they don't
have issues due to extended periods of inactivity.

It actually sounds like your wife's friend made a prudent choice,
particularly if they enjoy owning something designed in the current
century that works very well and is exhilarating to drive.
This is another example of the difference between a thing's cost and its
value, which I realize is lost on some individuals.
People choose cars for many reasons other than ownership cost.

Your wife's friend definitely saved money with the Corolla and were
probably ready for something rather different. Good on them.

In this case I think the Kool-Aid was distilled from crude.

Last edited:
Having taken trips in Teslas I can comment on the reasons to own one
first-hand. They offer a very high quality driving experience. The cost per
passenger mile, including maintenance, is very low. The ability to recharge
with rooftop solar is a major savings. They are much safer than an
econobox in the event of a crash. Unlike petro-fueled vehicles they don't
have issues due to extended periods of inactivity.

Yeah - that said, anyone buying a $70k car to save money is probably deluding themselves. I own a Tesla btw & absolutely love it - I know a Corolla has a lower TCOO.

My nightmare is no sun for days and then being hit by weather. If I did pure electric it would still have a genset or fuel cell or something to get me at least away from serious weather regardless of solar output.

Every time I run the numbers on pure electric I come to that same conclusion. It's much more plausible with sail (see Sailing Uma on Youtube for example).

As soon as start thinking about marine hybrids I end up here: why don't I just attach a prop-shaft and transmission to the generator? I do think the Beta Marine hybrid solution is an interesting one. We used to call that a parallel hybrid (I was a MechE on the design team that developed the first series hybrid bus/truck drivetrains to go into production in the late 90's).

Thought this was interesting, not for the boat (ship), but for the cargo.

20220928_143256.jpg

20220928_143247.jpg

Ted

It actually sounds like your wife's friend made a prudent choice,
particularly if they enjoy owning something designed in the current
century that works very well and is exhilarating to drive.
Clearly you missed the bit where they drive 10klm / 6 miles a week
If they were into exilerating driving don't you think they might be doing more miles than that regardless of vehicle?

The driving habits have not changed, still only uses it to get the groceries
60kph / 37mph all the way there and back

Clearly you missed the bit where they drive 10klm / 6 miles a week
If they were into exilerating driving don't you think they might be doing more miles than that regardless of vehicle?

The driving habits have not changed, still only uses it to get the groceries
60kph / 37mph all the way there and back

Cars are no more rational purchases than boats. Otherwise we'd all be driving 10 year old Corollas (and not owning boats at all :) )

Cars are no more rational purchases than boats. Otherwise we'd all be driving 10 year old Corollas (and not owning boats at all :) )
Exactly.
To most people alive today, the 10 year old Corolla would be an
unimaginable luxury. To me it would not be a car I would want.

That doesn't make me a spendthrift nor does owning a Tesla
make someone a Kool-Aid drinker.

To each their own and enjoy the drive. :)

Last edited:

Buying our boat was a rational and financially prudent decision for us

But buying the tesla was not a rational or financially prudent decision for the person mentioned.
Like I said, they drank the koolaid big time on that one.

But enough about cars, it's supposed to be about electric boats at the moment

Comprehension skills are lacking me thinks.
Self-knowledge is lacking, methinks.

Just a side note: lo-mile used Tesla model 3's are going for 70-90k $AU.
So if the friend bought new, they are losing little $. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom