Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://www.hylasyachts.com/power-yachts/m49/

Seems like it's just an expensive toy for day 'short' day runs. More of a gentleman playboy runabout for entertaining than a 'go-places' trawler.

I didn't say I like it (I don't), just found it interesting.

Agreed. I don't dislike it. If I wanted that type of boat, it looks fine, but I'm sure for the price I would buy something different even if I wasn't buying a 'go-places' trawler.

Sort of funny, "call for a quote"
Response "give me a delivery date first"

Unless there is something important hidden in that boat, the boat holds no interest, for me.

I'm a little surprised to see Hylas go that direction with powerboats, considering their heritage is in bluewater sailboats.

Nice looking boat!

BUT!!

- Only 230 +/- gals fuel for good sized twin diesels

- Only somewhat over 13' beam on near 50' boat

- Master stateroom squeezed into forward V nose... on a near 50' boat

- And the reason I would never purchase any boat of that style - no flying bridge.

That said - It is a nice looking boat... in photos

EDIT: Wasn't till I posted this did I go back and read the other posts about this boat. I'd have to say "She's a Non-Starter"; for folks on TF anyway!

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised to see Hylas go that direction with powerboats, considering their heritage is in bluewater sailboats.

Good point. However, I think the current market continues to trend toward faster power boats. I don't know, just assuming, but how many people today are shopping for true bluewater sailboats? Even tradtional builders like Hinckley and Back Cove are slapping a couple big outboards on the back so they can do 40knts. Still makes me wince when I see them, but I do get it.

Good point. However, I think the current market continues to trend toward faster power boats. I don't know, just assuming, but how many people today are shopping for true bluewater sailboats? Even tradtional builders like Hinckley and Back Cove are slapping a couple big outboards on the back so they can do 40knts. Still makes me wince when I see them, but I do get it.

That's very true. The modern Hylas sail offerings are still very capable, but very modern looking. And they're not the full keel snails of old either. It does seem like outside of Nordhavn, slow powerboats are a tough sell. Even my boat is considered slow as dirt by many of the "modern" boaters.

That's very true. The modern Hylas sail offerings are still very capable, but very modern looking. And they're not the full keel snails of old either. It does seem like outside of Nordhavn, slow powerboats are a tough sell. Even my boat is considered slow as dirt by many of the "modern" boaters.

Same here. I generally cruise at around 15 knts and max out in the low 20's unless I'm not in a hurry and back off to hull speeds. I was talking to someone on the docks last season who said he liked boats like mine but said they are too slow. He owns a Tiarra and likes to run in the mid to upper 20's regularly.

Same here. I generally cruise at around 15 knts and max out in the low 20's unless I'm not in a hurry and back off to hull speeds. I was talking to someone on the docks last season who said he liked boats like mine but said they are too slow. He owns a Tiarra and likes to run in the mid to upper 20's regularly.

Yeah, one of our dock neighbors has a 40 foot Formula. His slow, taking it easy cruise is in the mid 20s. WOT on my boat is about 25 kts... We either slow cruise at 6.5 - 7 kts or fast cruise at ~17 kts (which is at or just below minimum planing speed for the Formula). Max continuous on my engines gives about 18.5 kts in calm water. Another guy down the dock from us has a big center console with a few big outboards on the back that does close to 80 wide open. He's made comments about how long it takes to get places and left me thinking "uh, it would take me 3 times that at best".

The only people who think we go fast are the sailors...

Yeah, one of our dock neighbors has a 40 foot Formula. His slow, taking it easy cruise is in the mid 20s. WOT on my boat is about 25 kts... We either slow cruise at 6.5 - 7 kts or fast cruise at ~17 kts (which is at or just below minimum planing speed for the Formula). Max continuous on my engines gives about 18.5 kts in calm water. Another guy down the dock from us has a big center console with a few big outboards on the back that does close to 80 wide open. He's made comments about how long it takes to get places and left me thinking "uh, it would take me 3 times that at best".

Very true. Good thing most of us are former sailors! I always caution sailors moving to power. It's an easy trap to say speed doesn't matter and if I could go 7 knts in a straight line I'd be flying.

Nice looking boat!

BUT!!
- Only 230 +/- gals fuel for good sized twin diesels
- Only somewhat over 13' beam on near 50' boat
- Master stateroom squeezed into forward V nose... on a near 50' boat
- And the reason I would never purchase any boat of that style - no flying bridge.
That said - It is a nice looking boat... in photos
EDIT: Wasn't till I posted this did I go back and read the other posts about this boat. I'd have to say "She's a Non-Starter"; for folks on TF anyway!

With only 230 gallons of fuel, and traveling at the speed shown in the advertisement, I would assume it is great for going from fuel dock to fuel dock . . . and refilling the tanks every 2nd or 3rd day . . . :popcorn:

With only 230 gallons of fuel, and traveling at the speed shown in the advertisement, I would assume it is great for going from fuel dock to fuel dock . . . and refilling the tanks every 2nd or 3rd day . . . :popcorn:
Probably every single day unless you're making short runs. Even with my 420 gallons, I've only got about 10 hours at planing speed before I'm into what I'd consider reserve fuel. I'd expect the Hylas to be similar (despite the smaller tanks), as even though it's ~10 feet longer, it's only a couple thousand pounds heavier than my boat (assuming the published displacement for the Hylas is dry weight, if it's loaded, then it's actually lighter than my boat). Add in gas vs diesel, and I'd guess it probably gets about 1 nmpg on plane. 31 kts with 740 total hp is very, very good for a boat that size, considering my 680 hp only gets me to about 25 kts.

If you are going that direction, why not go all the way?

I'm not sure we can strictly call this a trawler with 60,000 hp and a fuel burn rate of 10,000 L/H, but even with only 70 hours duration it will cover a lot of ground. Transatlantic in 58 hours. Better have a high limit on your CC though - if you find a cheap fuel dock you can get a fill up for only about half a million.

Destriero_6-1024x548.jpeg

A guy I know had a custom Fabio Buzzi designed offshore boat for when he wanted to go fast! Man I was scared in that thing. You stood up in it in this pneumatic “seats” all strapped in.

Pretty boat but I fail to see the "downeast style" or "workboat design". I don't see anything listed about speed or range but fuel capacity is a little light for a boat that size.

Agreed. Twin 370's and less than 250 gallons of diesel? You'll need to be topping off every 10 hours or so.

Small freshwater and holding tanks, too, for a 49 footer.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 34
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
the same elegant silhouette ... with small engine to go only at the hull speed...on a boat below 20m in length or at less 3 time shorter :whistling:*

22.66 m by 4.35 m it is narrow but some already do that

like the Hal Whitacre Adventure 58' who was for sale at Calibre Yacht
https://calibreyachts.com/brokered-...2014-ldl-alum-hull-gyro-stability-pilothouse/

Darn nice boat! 14' beam...I'd name her "Skinny Minnie"!

Couldn't locate fuel to speed stats... but I imagine due to her design and engines, with 22 knots at WOT and 6 knots at idle she's a fuel miser.

Shallow draft is good - IMO. Photos on your post show she's got a mailbox on her swim platform and a some sort of drinking problem = pissen hard, with a pretty straight stream off he port side. LOL

On her website: She sure looks to cut through the water really nicely!!

I am not surprised, MJM has been successful marketing similar style boats and the company was founded by
Rod Johnstone of J/Boats. This Hylas reminds me a lot of the MJM line of power boats.

I really like this concept from Sam Devlin. More motor than sailor, but enough sail so it isn't an afterthought that you would soon remove. Probably only cost $1.5M to have built.

Oso-Blanco-54-1080x675.jpg

the same elegant silhouette ... with small engine to go only at the hull speed...on a boat below 20m in length or at less 3 time shorter :whistling:*

22.66 m by 4.35 m it is narrow but some already do that

like the Hal Whitacre Adventure 58' who was for sale at Calibre Yacht
https://calibreyachts.com/brokered-...2014-ldl-alum-hull-gyro-stability-pilothouse/

A year ago, when I ended up buying DOMINO, this was the only other boat on the list. It was a very good value, lightly used and well kept. Lots of good things about it. I considered it seriously, but DOMINO won the day in terms of capability and efficiency.

A year ago, when I ended up buying DOMINO, this was the only other boat on the list. It was a very good value, lightly used and well kept. Lots of good things about it. I considered it seriously, but DOMINO won the day in terms of capability and efficiency.

She does look great, and a bargain. 14’ beam though makes the livability compromise too great for my coastal exploring use.

Back
Top Bottom