Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this is for interesting boats, but since you asked...Wife fell off the boat, concussion with 3 staples, three transverse process fractures L2,3,4, contusions etc. I thought she was dead, I saw everything flushed down the toilet in those few seconds, thinking of the Schumacher tragedy. All because no ladder was provided. Slip was not big enough to use the swim platform, and the small side step is all we had to board and disembark. Interesting enough, there was a boarding ladder at the dock, but it was for the aluminum boat next to us. Why this boat had no ladder is beyond me, as the folks on the 42 Grand Banks that saw the accident across from us in 4th of July had one for their boat. They saw the accident and I went over the next day to thank them for their help and to find out what happened. The gentleman actually ran over to our boat in bare socks and arrived just after I did. Wife still is in pain, has lost her sense of smell due to the concussion, broke a beautiful opal ring I purchased for her in Jackson Hole, I Watch shattered, and her expensive Provda bag and jacket ruined from blood. And a whole host of other things. Although I have not heard from an adjuster, they are aware of the fall that occurred on August 10th. First thing I did when I felt she had stabilize was seek out a civil litigator in Ketchikan just in case there is an issue with their insurance. They have all the details, but I hope we will not have to engage. While my wife and I are not spring chickens, we are not feeble. A sound boarding ladder provided, this would have never happened. The good news is although she has never piloted, or docked a boat of this size, she did so with the expert guidance of the lead boat captain and was having the time of her life. She's sporty, a phenomenal vibrant woman, a pilot who loves to drive her cars at speed. We've done most of the great tracks in America, and it was/is my hope to get her interested in the Trawler lifestyle. We would love to do FL to Maine etc before we run out of health.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/photos-a-flock-of-ferraris-1438701662

To be clear the folk at NW Exploration where just wonderful, sans the lack of boarding ladder. I would hope this will be corrected in the future. It was a very memorable trip with a bad landing. Pictured is the scene of the accident and also a few of our cars at our home is SC. We hope to be back to driving these soon, and it would be nice to find a Bristol condition 46 or 47 low hours GB Classic. If you have or know of one, please send it my way. I love my wife!

Attachments

• DSC_0920.jpg
    DSC_0920.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0908.jpg
    DSC_0908.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 50
  • BN-JR741_0804my_M_20150803172751.jpg
    BN-JR741_0804my_M_20150803172751.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 49
  • BN-JR728_0804my_M_20150803172717.jpg
    BN-JR728_0804my_M_20150803172717.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 54
  • BN-JR740_0804my_M_20150803172754.jpg
    BN-JR740_0804my_M_20150803172754.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I know this is for interesting boats, but since you asked...Wife fell off the boat, concussion with 3 staples, three transverse process fractures L2,3,4, contusions etc. I thought she was dead, I saw everything flushed down the toilet in those few seconds, thinking of the Schumacher tragedy. All because no ladder was provided. Slip was not big enough to use the swim platform, and the small side step is all we had to board and disembark. Interesting enough, there was a boarding ladder at the dock, but it was for the aluminum boat next to us. Why this boat had no ladder is beyond me, as the folks on the 42 Grand Banks that saw the accident across from us in 4th of July had one for their boat. They saw the accident and I went over the next day to thank them for their help and to find out what happened. The gentleman actually ran over to our boat in bare socks and arrived just after I did. Wife still is in pain, has lost her sense of smell due to the concussion, broke a beautiful opal ring I purchased for her in Jackson Hole, I Watch shattered, and her expensive Provda bag and jacket ruined from blood. And a whole host of other things. Although I have not heard from an adjuster, they are aware of the fall that occurred on August 10th. First thing I did when I felt she had stabilize was seek out a civil litigator in Ketchikan just in case there is an issue with their insurance. They have all the details, but I hope we will not have to engage. While my wife and I are not spring chickens, we are not feeble. A sound boarding ladder provided, this would have never happened. The good news is although she has never piloted, or docked a boat of this size, she did so with the expert guidance of the lead boat captain and was having the time of her life. She's sporty, a phenomenal vibrant woman, a pilot who loves to drive her cars at speed. We've done most of the great tracks in America, and it was/is my hope to get her interested in the Trawler lifestyle. We would love to do Fl to Maine etc before we run out of health.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/photos-a-flock-of-ferraris-1438701662

To be clear the folk at NW Exploration where just wonderful, sans the lack of boarding ladder. I would hope this will be corrected in the future. It was a very memorable trip with a bad landing. Pictured is the scene of the accident and also a few of our cars at our home is SC. We hope to back to driving these soon, and it would be nice to find a Bristol condition 46 or 47 low hours GB Classic. If you have or know of one, please send it my way. I love my wife!

Jezz, that is horrible! Hope she completly recovers soon. My wife fell overboard when I first bought our new boat into our home slip. Neither of us were prepared of how powerful a diesel can be in changing direction of a boat quickly. Luckily she was not harmed in any way, but it still scares me how badly things could have gone as she was off the stern whil I was backing into the slip.

Best luck for recovery to your wife... and for you too!

She looks perfectly spunky with glove and heal slipping into that red beast! Is it toe or sillito that works the peddles??

Best luck for recovery to your wife... and for you too!

She looks perfectly spunky with glove and heal slipping into that red beast! Is it toe or sillito that works the peddles??

Hey that was an interesting shoot. AJ Baime who wrote Go Like Hell, great book by the way about the Ford Ferrari wars at Le Mans, included my wife in his 100 Dream Cars publication. But yeah, that would be a difficult heal and toe with those on for sure! No stilettos on the teak decks! Thank you for the best wishes in her recovery.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/100-dream-cars-the-best-of-my-ride_a-j-baime/20885069/

Jezz, that is horrible! Hope she completly recovers soon. My wife fell overboard when I first bought our new boat into our home slip. Neither of us were prepared of how powerful a diesel can be in changing direction of a boat quickly. Luckily she was not harmed in any way, but it still scares me how badly things could have gone as she was off the stern whil I was backing into the slip.

Thank you for the recovery wishes. Maybe we should start an almost disaster thread. I cannot imagine almost backing over a loved one. We had a death on the lake this past week from two boats colliding. :ermm:

A few interesting boats from dock walks in Ketchikan.

Attachments

• DSC_0799.jpg
    DSC_0799.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0876.jpg
    DSC_0876.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0903.jpg
    DSC_0903.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0924.jpg
    DSC_0924.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0928.jpg
    DSC_0928.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0930.jpg
    DSC_0930.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0933.jpg
    DSC_0933.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0935.jpg
    DSC_0935.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0758.jpg
    DSC_0758.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 38
^That white over blue yacht, the Western Star was sold not that long ago. I lusted over her ad for a quite a while.

Your second photo is the MV Discovery, a small ship cruise operation, the master is an old friend of my wife. Interesting perspective in your photo, makes it appear much shorter than her - what - 85 feet? She's a beautiful ship. 1930's vintage but with a more modern repowering.

Last edited:
^That white over blue yacht, the Western Star was sold not that long ago. I lusted over her ad for a quite a while.

Your second photo is the MV Discovery, a small ship cruise operation, the master is an old friend of my wife. Interesting perspective in your photo, makes it appear much shorter than her - what - 85 feet? She's a beautiful ship. 1930's vintage but with a more modern repowering.

We first saw MV Discovery when we visited the Anan Bear Preserve, assuming the charter was ashore. What a lovely sight, I love the old fantail motor yachts and particularly remember Principia when she was restored as presented in Wooden Boat Magazine. Once we got to Ketchikan and began our walk to dinner, we came across her again. We walked over to see if we could speak to the captain, and found he was at dinner with the crew. I called him and he agreed to show us the boat the next day. Unfortunately my wife fell upon our return to the boat and I was unable to keep this appointment. The purpose was to see if we should charter her in the future...who knows, just maybe. She seemed to be in remarkable condition from first glance.

https://alaskacharters.com/classic-yacht-discovery/

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tongass/recreation/natureviewing/recarea/?recid=79154&actid=62

Attachments

• DSC_0397.jpg
    DSC_0397.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0393.jpg
    DSC_0393.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0391.jpg
    DSC_0391.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0392.jpg
    DSC_0392.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 34
Thank you for the recovery wishes. Maybe we should start an almost disaster thread. I cannot imagine almost backing over a loved one. We had a death on the lake this past week from two boats colliding. :ermm:

I'm sure almost everyone who has been boating for a while has some "almost disaster" stories. I was lucky. I hope your wife fully recovers from her injuries, sounds very serious.

Adopo, I wish your wife a speedy recovery.
Please keep us all informed of her progress.

I really like that boat, sure wish the interior was a ship like as the exterior with lots of traditional teak and mahogany. But maybe the white is better. When my dad got old and eyes week, he painted the paneling white.

I really like that boat, sure wish the interior was a ship like as the exterior with lots of traditional teak and mahogany. But maybe the white is better. When my dad got old and eyes week, he painted the paneling white.

Yup, the saloon looks like a hotel room in Florida. The whiteness is no doubt influenced by his Admiral.

As a slightly more realistic option to the ex naval vessel on another thread:
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bod/d/north-vancouver-east-central-88/7364726160.html

I did a charter on a sister ship here in NZ earlier this year and definitely doable as a cruiser.
They roll like a rolly thing however.

View attachment 120757

Just spotted the bigger sister in this news article

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/yacht-cocaine-intercepted-nca-devon-b1918322.html?amp

For sale here

2721794_82176f87_37.jpg

https://vessel.iyba.pro/yacht-for-s...angarei Engineering122'Fitzroy Yachts NZ-KAHU

Also of note, one of the members here has one as well

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/how-things-have-changed-55531.html#post965389

Last edited:
attachment.php

"Beautiful boat. If I were 10 years younger, that boat would be mine."

Well, everyone is allowed their own opinion. A boat like this deserves an equally "stylish" shore craft like this beauty... (yes, lots of sarcasm here)

Attachments

• cube.jpg
    cube.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 37
I really like that boat, sure wish the interior was a ship like as the exterior with lots of traditional teak and mahogany.

Wow, you're not kidding. It has absolutely zero traditional nautical style on the interior. It's just bland as a dirt house. One can only hope it's not actually done in drywall.

We were in Grenada. I was septic so we scheduled a flight out the next day. Asked wife to check water tanks before we left. Boat on the hard so ~11’ to the deck. She didn’t have chance to tie top of the ladder. Fell the full 11’ fortunately not striking her head. Fractured ankle in 3 places and gait/balance still off. We medvac’s the next day. I was hospitalized. She finally got decent care as well with interventions for her ankle.
This fall is the reason we are on this site. Sold the boat. She’s still unsafe for blue water sailing. Be coastal/near shore on a stabilized boat with no need for deck work underway. She was almost crippled for life. I almost died. Medivac insurance doesn’t work when commercial flights are closed. We took the second to last flight out. Will continue to carry medivac insurance. Know too much about the variability of US health centers to do otherwise.

Be careful out there. The simple daily coastal/land based activities are possibly more dangerous than what goes on the water. Falling between boat and slip, falling when on the hard. Tripping on cords or dock lines.

We were in Grenada. I was septic so we scheduled a flight out the next day. Asked wife to check water tanks before we left. Boat on the hard so ~11’ to the deck. She didn’t have chance to tie top of the ladder. Fell the full 11’ fortunately not striking her head. Fractured ankle in 3 places and gait/balance still off. We medvac’s the next day. I was hospitalized. She finally got decent care as well with interventions for her ankle.
This fall is the reason we are on this site. Sold the boat. She’s still unsafe for blue water sailing. Be coastal/near shore on a stabilized boat with no need for deck work underway. She was almost crippled for life. I almost died. Medivac insurance doesn’t work when commercial flights are closed. We took the second to last flight out. Will continue to carry medivac insurance. Know too much about the variability of US health centers to do otherwise.

Be careful out there. The simple daily coastal/land based activities are possibly more dangerous than what goes on the water. Falling between boat and slip, falling when on the hard. Tripping on cords or dock lines.

This thread has taken a dark turn! There was a boat fire here yesterday that eventually sunk the boat, no casualties or injuries. Something exploded. I almost set my own boat on fire once (couple boats ago) refilling an alcohol stove that went out when cooking. Learned the hard way that alcohol will ignite fairly easily from a hot stove. Still scares me when I think of how it could have gone. I had a new bottle of alcohol, (1 gallon) and tried filling the stove but the bottle was too big, thank God, so I poured some into a plastic cup to fill it. It immediately ignited and by reflex I tossed the cup. My arm was covered in alcohol and flames as well as a line of fire across the counter and carpet. I somehow remembered in the instant that water will put out an alcohol fire and I had a gallon of drinking water on the counter that put it out quickly. If the whole gallon of alcohol caught fire as I had originally tried, I may have lost the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I belonged to another forum some time ago and they had a thread for "dumb things you did that makes you question why anyone ever left you unsupervised"

Portable gasoline generators are right up there with your alcohol stove story. But I'm guessing most that have made THAT mistake never live to tell the tale.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom