Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Albin 25
Albin 27FC
Albin 30FC

...all sort of meet your description. The first two move at displacement speeds (though depending on the motor the 27 could sort of wallow its way up towards the top of the plane, maybe) and the 30 has a planing hull and more horsepower. Examples of both the 25 and 27FC are in our boats for sale forum here, though they're probably sold by now.

Attachments

• Capture333.JPG
    Capture333.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 42
Albin 25
Albin 27FC
Albin 30FC

...all sort of meet your description. The first two move at displacement speeds (though depending on the motor the 27 could sort of wallow its way up towards the top of the plane, maybe) and the 30 has a planing hull and more horsepower. Examples of both the 25 and 27FC are in our boats for sale forum here, though they're probably sold by now.

Nope. None of them look like the old boat I saw.
Not a big issue. I plan on dying on this boat or they will have to stretcher me off duct taped to a stretcher and take me to "the home".
Thanks for looking

Wood - Can be a problem.......

She tugs on the heartstrings though. Maybe could benefit from some contrasting paint on the hull or cabin? Or a well-placed cove stripe? The sheer is nice, but the overall visual is kind of blah. Cool engine. Potential for someone bonkers enough to own a 65' woodie!

Wood - Can be a problem.......

"seaworthy" the bilge pumps can keep up?

I'm sorry but I just think there are better materials for the hull besides wood.
I spent a day re-calking a boat. That gets old real quick. I sort of doubt there are many skilled craftsmen who will properly replace a plank and refresh the calking. In the port of Mystic Conn. They do have classes up thee for build and maintaining wooden boats.
Maybe in the PNW but here in southern FL, the wood worms would have a feast.

Yes but the Romsdahl is priced to, you know, actually sell ;)

Buy her, put about $100k in her to refresh the interior, repair and refinish the woodwork above the waterline, replace the rigging on condition and give her some new paint and maybe a new radar/chartplotter and she’d be a pretty darn nice boat and you’re still well under many comparables in this silly market. Oh, and trade the old Onan generator for a Northern Lights. I don’t know if Herbert Woods Iroko framing and planking can live up to the Iroko Malahide hulls, but I understand it’s good stuff. Shame the cabin is plywood and not aluminum. The Kelvin is an issue, all I know about them is what I’ve read - like a Gardner they keep going and going, but when you need a part, it can be pricey and arrives on this continent by air freight days later. I could probably live with that.

(I reached out and got a previous survey. Bottom recently gone over and small issues addressed.)

Last edited:

I'm sorry but I just think there are better materials for the hull besides wood.
I spent a day re-calking a boat. That gets old real quick. I sort of doubt there are many skilled craftsmen who will properly replace a plank and refresh the calking. In the port of Mystic Conn. They do have classes up thee for build and maintaining wooden boats.

On the left coast that’s not too much a problem. Can’t stop at any yard, sure, but in the SF Bay and the PNW there’s plenty running around.

Speaking to the various power cats that are marketed to the charter fleets. These are not the purpose built ocean cats and tris (Tenant, Neel etc.). Watched them for years cruising the Caribbean. Note the following personal observations.
They look like they hobbyhorse going into a head sea. This occurs even with the large ones.
The bridge deck is brought all the way forward and doesn’t seem high enough to prevent burping and stalling.
Although some have asymmetrical hulls in an effort apparently to allow increased cruising comforts( three or four heads, multiple AC units, increased house banks in Pb etc) weight is increased, wetted surface increased so mpg is not much better than a displacement monohull negating one of the major benefits of multis.
Love multis power and sail. Don’t think much of those aimed at the charter market regardless of size.

Last edited:
The one I saw, the fwd and aft cabin roofs were at same level.
Some were modified to be like that, from my understanding. A lot of crazy things have been done to those boats. They have a, let's say, very unique layout.

BIG engine.

The one I see tied up with a blue tarp over the center cockpit, I suspect has a much smaller engine and would work for 2 people.

The Engine is not too big unless you only want to run at hull speed. However, the tankage is too small for anything more than an overnight.

Recaulking a wooden boat.."gets old""....how often do you think you would have to do that?

So maybe like every week, right? Replace planks and recaulk....I dont think so.

Inspect the hull on the inside while in the water for seam failure. Put on the hard visually inspect and thump the planks for soundness, replace and caulk as necessary.

Old Iron Sides' hull was repair extensively.

As a slightly more realistic option to the ex naval vessel on another thread:
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bod/d/north-vancouver-east-central-88/7364726160.html

I did a charter on a sister ship here in NZ earlier this year and definitely doable as a cruiser.
They roll like a rolly thing however.

View attachment 120757

Looks like the boat that was written up when it arrived in Vancouver way back, 18 or so yrs ago. Nice writeup of its voyage. Nice boat, lived in Deep Cove, at the bottom of Indian Arm. until I stopped watching for it.

As a slightly more realistic option to the ex naval vessel on another thread:
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bod/d/north-vancouver-east-central-88/7364726160.html

I did a charter on a sister ship here in NZ earlier this year and definitely doable as a cruiser.
They roll like a rolly thing however.

View attachment 120757

I wonder what the most expensive thing is that was ever sold via a Craiglist ad besides perhaps a single family home. Many owners of >$1M boats find their beauty via Craigslist I wonder? Looking at Vancouver Craigslist just now I see five in the $1-3M CAD range not counting professional fishing vessels with transfer licenses.

Last edited:
I wonder what the most expensive thing is that was ever sold via a Craiglist ad besides perhaps a single family home. Many owners of >$1M boats find their beauty via Craigslist I wonder? Looking at Vancouver Craigslist just now I see five in the $1-3M CAD range not counting professional fishing vessels with transfer licenses.
Craigslist seems a lot more civil in Canada, than it is in the States.

UsedVictoria and Kijiji list quite a few large dollar boats as well. Sometimes, but not always through brokers.

Makes sense to list locally in this manner as opposed to the wide net of Yachtworld.

I like that there is competition in where to sell items. In my very local (and isolated) area, everything sells on Facebook. Cars, boats, floating cabins and yes even houses. Locals selling to locals however.

Yes, I use Facebook to buy and sell a lot when I want someone who can come and pick it up or I can drive over to do the same.

I've never personally been burned buying on Craigslist. Selling, however, is a nightmare. Every five years or so I forget that lesson and do it again, and then :banghead: I sold my father's sportscar on CL to help out my mom after he passed in 2018. I continue to get spammed TODAY from that #$%& ad.

Attachments

• DSC_0288.jpg
    DSC_0288.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0134.jpg
    DSC_0134.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0281.jpg
    DSC_0281.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0326.jpg
    DSC_0326.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0320.jpg
    DSC_0320.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0310.jpg
    DSC_0310.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 33
Recaulking a wooden boat.."gets old""....how often do you think you would have to do that?

On ours we have replaced probably 30feet of caulking in spot repairs in 5 years of ownership
Takes a skilled guy a few hours each time she is out.
Not a big deal at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom