Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, really beautiful, but why does "retro look" always mean dark cave-like interiors??? Perhaps back in the early retro'th century the people had larger eyes so needed a darker environment to live in?

Mako

I believe that "general" darkness simply represents the hue and color of the dark woods used back then. Seeing that nearly everything was wood and varnish was applied to display the wood's beautiful grain... well... a dark look prevailed.

Chris Craft and a few other builders in the 60's/70's began bleaching [or maybe they located light hued woods] and clear varnishing to add more light in the cabins. Personally I did not too much like their attempt back then to "lighten" things up.

In newer boats' interiors [1990's forward] I have noticed some really nice looking light hued woods that have super duper smooth clear coat finishes.

I love grain enhanced wood interiors on boats with varnish or other clear-ish finish applied.

I was not clear enought

I will admit, there is nothing not to like on the boat. The interior is fantastic. I will also admit, it is too much boat for me.
Dont be hasty to sell the boat.
I wish you great good fortune on finding a WORTHY buyer.

This boat was not our boat , we take a look we made an offer (even if too big only becausewe like the "retro" and also if one day we have a dog inside it was good for a dog :) not to much step between saloon dining, kitchen and the forecabins
The owner asked for 350000€ we offer less , he said to us his bottom price... but I can wrote here because he is in the selling process and don't know the selling price don't want make trouble :facepalm: (or if interested to knowin private message )

Interesting boat for people able to fix all by herself, and near (partially) "rebuilt " the engine room)

Attachments

• cac57654acd36b60690540f0ce5589919d2ffe09.jpg
    cac57654acd36b60690540f0ce5589919d2ffe09.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 848645bebcedf1e357d1159058be8d72ef84447b.jpg
    848645bebcedf1e357d1159058be8d72ef84447b.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 63
  • bb2b58590ea5f1419cc19821c90b0934c065b495.jpg
    bb2b58590ea5f1419cc19821c90b0934c065b495.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 59
I'm spending my mornings lately deleting photos from the computer and found this one taken a few years ago. It was taken while coming back into our marina.

The catamaran used to be a whale watching boat out of Prince Rupert that now runs workers back & forth for a project in Kemano, up Gardner Canal.

The other boat is one of about ten that fly in tourists to the Terrace-Kitimat airport, then spend about a week or more going to Bella Bella where they fly them out and pick up more tourists to bring them to Kitimat.

Pacific Yellowfin runs between Kitimat and Vancouver...party of 12 would be $110,000.00 but it’s “free” for us :D

The biggest one is a 120' steel catamaran...looks like an island on radar :eek:

Attachments

• DSCF1741.jpg
    DSCF1741.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
One of Badger's best friends, Hawk Bay;

Attachments

• DSCF2084.jpg
    DSCF2084.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 68
Interesting Boats-28' Rosborough Trawler

On the Rosborough website found this older 28" Rosborough for sale https://gypsyblue.org that may be of interest to someone on this forum. Three years ago we had an opportunity to visit a sister boat on the Erie Canal. We have a 25' Rosborough RF-246 which we like very much but the interior space on the 28' impressed us a lot.

The boat in the listing appears to be well maintained with nice electronics package, inboard diesel, generator, AC/heat and a very nice galley/salon space for a small trawler.

Someone looking for a small trawler may find this of interest.

Leonard

Murray,
Can you keep up w Hawk Bay?
Her wake indicates she’s moving along quite fast.

No disrespect to you, the love for your boat or Ed Monk, but to put the genius that was Jack Hargrave in that box is beyond preposterous.

There's a good read on how the Hatts came to be here:

https://www.samsmarine.com/HatterasStory/HatterasStory.htm

I don’t think I would ever say that a Hatt was just an enlarged Tolly either, but maybe consider your biases could be limiting your perspective.

Keep in mind, Tollefson had been building boats for roughly 25 years before Hargrave ever hung out his shingle and had also served in the coast guard before his boat building career and continued to draw new boats for years after Hargrave had passed. The legacy he left behind was simply staggering.

But mostly I think that the followers of those who framed our community only lose by trying to pit one against another. If there is one thing about the boat building community of old we have lost it is the sense of true community and respect. Most of the old guard competed fiercely, but the behind the scenes stories of quietly helping each other out abound. At least, this is one value I was taught from Tolly before he passed in his 100th year. I’d be willing to bet one might have learned something similar from Hargrave if you knew him. I’ve always admired Hatteras and would own one without second thought.

Reactions: Art
Murray,
Can you keep up w Hawk Bay?
Her wake indicates she’s moving along quite fast.

We don't travel with Hawk Bay, but bump into them once in a while. They cruise around 7 to 8 knots, like us, but I'm pretty sure they can really pick up the pace when they want. (Our boat's arse just squats deeper and deeper when applying power past 8 knots).

Hawk Bay is a beautiful conversion that screams out care and attention to detail when you see it on the inside.

I'm spending my mornings lately deleting photos from the computer and found this one taken a few years ago. It was taken while coming back into our marina.

The catamaran used to be a whale watching boat out of Prince Rupert that now runs workers back & forth for a project in Kemano, up Gardner Canal.

The other boat is one of about ten that fly in tourists to the Terrace-Kitimat airport, then spend about a week or more going to Bella Bella where they fly them out and pick up more tourists to bring them to Kitimat.

Pacific Yellowfin runs between Kitimat and Vancouver...party of 12 would be $110,000.00 but it’s “free” for us :D

The biggest one is a 120' steel catamaran...looks like an island on radar :eek:

Pacific Yellowfin is also a conversion, having started life as a Freighter, serving the US military in some fashion in the 40s. She is still powered by air start Atlas direct drive engines. Watching her docking is a treat, as the engines are shut down and restarted in the opposite direction to go from fwd to reverse. Her accommodations are first class, as you would expect for the high dollar cruising offered. We often see her, as she spends some time in both the Gulf Islands and the Desolation Sound area, and is so easily identifiable.

Keep in mind, Tollefson had been building boats for roughly 25 years before Hargrave ever hung out his shingle and had also served in the coast guard before his boat building career and continued to draw new boats for years after Hargrave had passed. The legacy he left behind was simply staggering.

Here's a poem I wrote and gifted as a bound copy birthday present to Mr. Tollefson [Tolly].

"Tolly Poem"

March 9, 2009 / by Art – Owner of a Tolly!
1977 Tollycraft, 34’ tri cabin with a very sunny deck, named “The Office”

For: Robert Merland Tollefson (And All Tolly Friends)

TOLLY LIFE - AGELESS DESIGN

Tolly grew rugged in Idaho snow; from very young age having mind on the go
Wisdom a factor runs strong in his genes; with good life to live, age builds means
Respect and straight thought, passion for all; Tolly made living a time to stand tall

Boats caught his attention, then attention caught fire; Tolly located his true heart’s desire
Singing and acting he played for a while; but boats for dear Tolly stayed top of the pile
Designing and building was study he choose; the more he thought boats, the higher thoughts rose

No matter world times of depression so full; Tolly was always ready to pull
A mag gave him plans for boat vessel to build; soon his life needs would start to be filled
Wars come and go, as we all know; tis people as Tolly that finish the show
Corvette boats, buoy tenders, tugs play a part; their captains, like Tolly, steer strong from their heart
In war-times of duress, with hope at a low; sweet ice-cream for workers helps everything flow

Lumber and millwork made Tolly do well; but boats were his passion, that he could tell
Sudden wind blew cross his lumber shop tour; flames liked high toward ruin for sure
He then caught insurance, dreaming sea-tales for comfort; twas his capability, to turn ruin triumphant
Soon there were wisps of waves in his mind; he realized for certain twas time for sea-kind
Up lifted he felt, knowing full well; as his own boat-filled ruler, success would foretell
So, to boat designs Tolly entered his might; feeling quite rightly Tolly boats would take flight
He grumbled, he garnered, Tolly worked his butt off; associates gathered to make his landing soft
With effort and smarts he planned Tolly boat toys; each meant to be friendly for all women and big boys
Outboard then inboard, in wood and then glass; 14 then 20 then 60 foot class

Tolly and Monk, designers dejure; made big ones and small ones, grand selections for sure
Months turned to years with decades to follow; Tolly’s great boats filled many a sea hollow

Next thing Tolly knew a following grew tight; each asking him louder to continue his flight.
So keeping his premise of pay as you go; Tolly made commitment to let everyone know
My Tollys are fashioned with pleasure in mind; fear not their built backbone, seaworthy you’ll find.
Humming along, his boat factory built; Tolly his mates with associates felt
Offers came in from others that build; asking Tolly to join with their boating guild
Carefully, methodically he searched with due diligence; through all of their figures and factory significance
Each time does he find that when all the smoke clears; they are not as they premised, their books holding smears

So back to his shop with sea waves in mind; each time to feel comfort as he worked with like kind
One Tolly then another rolled through the front door, it felt like forever occurring for sure
They patted each Tolly on the rump as it passed; giving boats ingenuity, via love that could last

First they built wood, then built with glass; as all things traverse life forms, all eventually pass
Decades ran by, many years of success; Tolly felt sure they could sell outright, creating no mess
So sell it he did to a group with big funds; thinking they could play Tolly, with more decades of runs.

Too soon due to items that can hobble a giant; the cost of boat building became highly defiant.
Accountants played numbers, builders they built and salesmen they sold; no matter the efforts, Tollycraft’s end was foretold
There were hiccups and belches, grand tries galore; all meant to save the once great Tolly store
No matter how inventive, no matter how smart; no person got Tollycraft a financial restart

Deep sadness was felt by all true believers; unfortunate conditions placed Tollycraft at hand of receivers
Once a great effort comes to end of its line; tis best to take comfort from days of past time
For years Robert Tollefson and friends broke new molds; of boats toward perfection as their designing unfolds
Tolly boats changed yacht market’s complexion, with many fine seamen telling great recollection

Tolly and Monk with all of their friends; never looked back as they prospered toward Tolly boat ends
Now that it’s over, great memories galore; remember, not Tolly nor Monk are who closed the door
Six thousand five hundred Tollys or more; came to existence to travel the shore
For keeping them going and in good repair, tis a fellow named Gordon whose always right there
Great structure, design and rugged sea worthy; make all Tolly owners quite ready to survey
Tolly’s true meaning at end of this show; a meaning deep seated, a reason to know
On travel, the Tollys for all owners’ pleasure; a life of sea views toward great fun and leisure
A century from now when we here are gone; there will be classic prized Tollys motoring on
Great results from Tolly’s system is so simple to see; good endeavors are empowered by the operative word WE!

Successful regards, Mr. Tollefson. You are one great boat builder!

Art - A proud Tolly owner.

Boats – Forever!

Of necessity and for simplicity, floating devices were utilized by humans for transportation purposes long before the wheel was devised.

Via human ingenuity, intelligent boat designs became the natural outcropping.

Of necessity and for pleasure, floating devices that carry all manner of items will continue to be one of the most often used and intricately designed transportation devices.

Of pleasure, “power boating” and “sail boating” will always remain as one of the best recreational devices ever available, bar none!

By design, Tollycraft will always be a renowned name in boats.

Last edited:
I owned a 30' version of the Fales 30 named "Boomarang" which was well known on this forum. It was originally owned by one of the TF founders. She is on the market right now in Tarpon Springs, FL.

That's a very sweet boat! Lots packed into a 30. Did you have the chart table? I made a couple 22" round chart tables of my local waters under resin and they come in very handy with guests. A map and a laminated short briefing/boat history card keeps them busy enough for a few minutes to get away from the dock without any 'help'.

Last edited:
Willard did make a sailboat w a cabin much like other sailboats. Called the Eight Ton. Another model called the horizon was a motorsailer. All the others were rec trawlers.

They did make one 40' motorsailor as well.

Sorry Conrad I should have mentioned 30’ Willards only.
I frequently forget there’s other Willards even though my favorite Willard is the 36.

My bad Eric; I should have picked up on the fact you were only discussing 30 footers. Yes, there were some amazing 36 footers made, the aft pilothouse being rather spectacular to say the least. They even made a 36' motorsailor although from what I could gather it did not have the nicest lines.

That's a very sweet boat! Lots packed into a 30. Did you have the chart table? I made a couple 22" round chart tables of my local waters under resin and they come in very handy with guests. A map and a laminated short briefing/boat history card keeps them busy enough for a few minutes to get away from the dock without any 'help'.

When I bought the boat there was no table. I built one with white laminate and teak trim. It was included when I sold the boat. The present owner applied the chart.

I actually kept my best table as a memento. It featured a compass rose and four boomerangs inset in the corners. It turned out to be too pretty to use. It even had a fitted cover.

Attachments

• Table 1.JPG
    Table 1.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Table 2.jpg
    Table 2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 52
Larry do you rent out for finish work. Beautiful job. How many hours do you have into that.

Not my style, but none of it looks to be done on the cheap. I’d hate to know the price tag that went with that one. I do like the headliner.

Pacific Yellowfin is also a conversion, having started life as a Freighter, serving the US military in some fashion in the 40s. She is still powered by air start Atlas direct drive engines. Watching her docking is a treat, as the engines are shut down and restarted in the opposite direction to go from fwd to reverse. Her accommodations are first class, as you would expect for the high dollar cruising offered. We often see her, as she spends some time in both the Gulf Islands and the Desolation Sound area, and is so easily identifiable.

US military -"FS" 'Freighter Small' -Some had the Fairbanks Morse power.
To a beholder, a thing of beauty. As a young fellow growing, up one of these was a often passing joy by our home at near 13 knots with a bone in her teeth. The sound and sight proclaimed it a true "Ship" to a little boy's mind and eyes. Thanks Murray.

Attachments

• PicsArt_10-13-08.16.43.jpg
    PicsArt_10-13-08.16.43.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom