Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you shop well. Add about $10K on top of that price. You can find similar boat that has been well cared for and that enables actual surveys before purchase.

$15K spent on a bet of boat condition is pretty risky business.

Wonder what %age "good" condition boats are given up to auction. I imagine about the same %age as "good" condition cars and trucks... 5%??

Totally agree with the above! It might behoove interested bidders to research the feedback the "seller" has received on Ebay. One of the feedbacks by a winning bidder, stated they company didn't even have the right to sell the boat! The organization responded that the owner had actually donated it to another organization . . . Seriously?!? They didn't KNOW that? :nonono: There may be organizations similar to this one out there who are on the up and up, but personally I would steer clear of this one!

I'd LOVE to have the winning bidder come on the site and relate the actual condition of the boat, and how the transfer process works out for him.

Yes, Tad’s Timber Coast is a great boat and just as capable as the average TF boat.
You guys w big boats 34’+ haven’t got a clue about size v/s capability. We went to Alaska on our 25’ Albin and didn’t miss all the crap most of you all think is essential.

But re the body size you’re right. The Albin WAS a bit too small as I often banged my 5’ 10” 180lb body into boat parts. But the Willard is really spacious.

Chris said I had blood on my head last night ... I did. And after a minute or two I remember bumping my head on a garage beam in the back yard while crouch-standing in the 19’ OB boat. Forgot about it 10 seconds after it happened. No need to run off and get a bigger garage.

Most of the stuff you’all have on your bigger boats is not needed. Including the whole boat.

Last edited:
Yes, Tad’s Timber Coast is a great boat and just as capable as the average TF boat.
You guys w big boats 34’+ haven’t got a clue about size v/s capability. We went to Alaska on our 25’ Albin and didn’t miss all the crap most of you all think is essential.

But re the body size you’re right. The Albin WAS a bit too small as I often banged my 5’ 10” 180lb body into boat parts. But the Willard is really spacious.

Chris said I had blood on my head last night ... I did. And after a minute or two I remember bumping my head on a garage beam in the back yard while crouch-standing in the 19’ OB boat. Forgot about it 10 seconds after it happened. No need to run off and get a bigger garage.

Most of the stuff you have on your bigger boats is not needed. Including the whole boat.

I feel what you say is a bit of a misnomer: "Most of the stuff you have on your bigger boats is not needed. Including the whole boat."

Eric

Would not call a 34'er a "big" boat. MOF - It's about the smallest Linda [5'10" 200lb beauty] and I [6'1, 250 lb life long weight lifter - body builder] can be comfortable in.

Also, that ours is a tri cabin [which provides more room for comfort than sedan model] makes for EZ living aboard... with plenty of useful interior and exterior locations for fun, play and relaxation.

Most of the stuff you’all have on your bigger boats is not needed. Including the whole boat.

I'm sure somebody went there in a canoe and has an equally poor opinion of you because you needed an engine for a crutch.

Ted

Reactions: Art
This big girl just popped up for sale. It was purchased by a couple last year in Texas and taken to Florida. They were going to live on it with their two children, but then Covid happened and I guess they couldn’t go anywhere, so selling it now.

I could live on this boat, and maybe I can talk Jewel into selling the land house, but because of the huge beam it would have to be at anchor most of the time I think. I love the pilothouse, huge fly bridge and living spaces, but like on most cats the engines are jammed into small holes with poor access. How would one get to things on the sides and front of the engine?
IMG_9420.jpg
IMG_9418.jpg

This is the old ad as the new one doesn’t have many pics yet.
https://www.northropandjohnson.com/yachts-for-sale/kiwi-52-malcolmtennant

New listing:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006/malcolm-tennant-custom-powercat-3712111/

She’s not the prettiest boat I’ve seen, a bit slab-sided, but I guess most power cats aren’t “pretty”.

"... but like on most cats the engines are jammed into small holes with poor access. How would one get to things on the sides and front of the engine?"

Answer: You don't... without much assistance by hoist equipment, that is.

Kinda reminds me of some of the luxury model Chrysler cars in the late 60's early 70's. To change spark plugs the engine had to be disconnected from the trany, off fastened from engine mounts and have cooling hoses unclamped. Then you needed to come-along hoist the engine upward a couple feet for a tune up with new plugs.

In other words: Purchased new, these "installed in too close quarters" engine placements [in any type vehicle] work well enough [for a time] - until age/use takes its toll to eventually create need for working on the engine becomes necessary.

Therein lies the elephant in the Power Cat's room - ER that is!

One thing I've seen in some Kadey Krogan boats are mirror panels attached to the back side of an engine, so you could see what's going on, even if you couldn't get back there without considerable boat yoga. They are probably polished stainless steel sheet, since mirrors would probably break easily swinging a wrench...

I feel what you say is a bit of a misnomer: "Most of the stuff you have on your bigger boats is not needed. Including the whole boat."

Eric

Would not call a 34'er a "big" boat. MOF - It's about the smallest Linda [5'10" 200lb beauty] and I [6'1, 250 lb life long weight lifter - body builder] can be comfortable in.

Also, that ours is a tri cabin [which provides more room for comfort than sedan model] makes for EZ living aboard... with plenty of useful interior and exterior locations for fun, play and relaxation.

Art,
The “size“ of a boat re the human body is a factor that limits the size of a person that will be comfortable using them. But more so than the actual boat size in how the space inside is carved up into cubes for sleeping, bathroom stuff, engine stuff, storage like the Laz, dinghy space and finally deck space if there’s any space left. Most designers carve up the space for the max # of cubicals. Like “sleeps 7” or dines 7 ect. A second berth cabin and head. An act of trying to have the accommodations of a bigger boat.
I’m sure Art you’ve gone aboard boats where you’re not space comfortable anywhere but on the after deck.

But I was mostly talking about king sized beds and clothes washing machines, AC that is seldom used, the latest in electronics and all the other stuff that’s not needed. I don’t have that stuff so it’s hard to think of non-essential stuff. I don’t even have windshield wipers. Sure at times they would be nice but I’ve had the boat for 19 years and haven’t got to the point where I thought they were worth the effort/money.

But a big part of what I said is’nt critical. If one HAS money to spend on their boat I’m certainly not saying that’s excess. Not saying anything about People’s personal money being an excess. But to go cruising one does not need most of the hardware that’s presented here. But if you consider walking “up town” once a week to do laundry as intolerable discomfort you probably “need” a washing machine on your boat. But you may miss the high point of the day on the way to the laundromat. Ditto for showers. Haven’t used the shower in our boat. But here I’m mostly talking about needs, not wants. Going to a laundromat anywhere but up the coast from Puget Sound and in Alaska is NOT anything I’d normally look fwd to. It’s a pleasant chore to a fun experience up north.

To have fun and a good time on your boat you don’t need a boat over 32 feet IMHO. And you don’t “need” the latest gadgets either. But there’s a 42’ Devlin boat I’d love to have. $$$$$$$

Size isn't necessary, per se. But in some cases, larger size makes room for equipment or storage that gives you more options in how you can use the boat. Such as ability to carry more clothing, more food (especially refrigerated / frozen items), more fuel, space for a watermaker, etc. Those things aren't necessarily required to travel and enjoy the boat, but they do open up more options and allow travel to more remote places.

As an example, on the trip we just took, only 1 place we stayed had shower facilities available on land, so being able to shower on the boat was a big benefit. Having decent size batteries and a generator meant that not having shore power wasn't a big deal, as the only thing we couldn't do was run the A/C overnight (which wasn't really necessary anyway). If we hadn't had some of those abilities, we could have still taken the trip, but we likely would have had to choose our stopping points based on available facilities (and likely would have ended up paying for dockage), rather than being able to stop wherever we saw a nice town dock.

To an extent, this is all what drives me liking simple large boats. I like the idea of a larger boat that's basically just bigger, but not more complex. Unfortunately, most get much more complex as they get larger in the search for ultimate comfort or fanciness. Sometimes the nice things just come along for free in the design, however. Like the king size aft bunk on my boat. The bunk is really a fuel tank enclosure with a mattress on top, so with the desired size of fuel tanks, it ended up being a king.

This big girl just popped up for sale. It was purchased by a couple last year in Texas and taken to Florida. They were going to live on it with their two children, but then Covid happened and I guess they couldn’t go anywhere, so selling it now.

I could live on this boat, and maybe I can talk Jewel into selling the land house, but because of the huge beam it would have to be at anchor most of the time I think. I love the pilothouse, huge fly bridge and living spaces, but like on most cats the engines are jammed into small holes with poor access. How would one get to things on the sides and front of the engine?
View attachment 107643
View attachment 107644

This is the old ad as the new one doesn’t have many pics yet.
https://www.northropandjohnson.com/yachts-for-sale/kiwi-52-malcolmtennant

New listing:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006/malcolm-tennant-custom-powercat-3712111/

She’s not the prettiest boat I’ve seen, a bit slab-sided, but I guess most power cats aren’t “pretty”.

Saw that boat yesterday on YW and I was thoroughly intimidated by the 29' beam.

Saw that boat yesterday on YW and I was thoroughly intimidated by the 29' beam.

Yes, guess one would have to search for an 'end of dock' or a side dock or anchor out, forever.
Cats usually have a very wide beam.

Size isn't necessary, per se. But in some cases, larger size makes room for equipment or storage that gives you more options in how you can use the boat. Such as ability to carry more clothing, more food (especially refrigerated / frozen items), more fuel, space for a watermaker, etc. Those things aren't necessarily required to travel and enjoy the boat, but they do open up more options and allow travel to more remote places.

As an example, on the trip we just took, only 1 place we stayed had shower facilities available on land, so being able to shower on the boat was a big benefit. Having decent size batteries and a generator meant that not having shore power wasn't a big deal, as the only thing we couldn't do was run the A/C overnight (which wasn't really necessary anyway). If we hadn't had some of those abilities, we could have still taken the trip, but we likely would have had to choose our stopping points based on available facilities (and likely would have ended up paying for dockage), rather than being able to stop wherever we saw a nice town dock.

To an extent, this is all what drives me liking simple large boats. I like the idea of a larger boat that's basically just bigger, but not more complex. Unfortunately, most get much more complex as they get larger in the search for ultimate comfort or fanciness. Sometimes the nice things just come along for free in the design, however. Like the king size aft bunk on my boat. The bunk is really a fuel tank enclosure with a mattress on top, so with the desired size of fuel tanks, it ended up being a king.

Very well put rslifkin,
One could skip a day now and then re the shower and a wash cloth (or several) and sizable ss pot warmed on the stove (that even we have) is a quick and fairly effective way to get clean .. well 98% clean.

Re the larger minimalist larger boat I have thought of that from time to time. I even talked about a flush deck 42’ Uniflite boat w a FB like bridge and all domestic cabins under the main deck when I worked at Uniflite. Single In-line engine w fuel aside the engine. Midships CG, lots of fuel and an overall light boat for a Uniflite boat that is usually rather heavy.
The bad thing would be the ER between the two cabin spaces. Safety could be an issue too.

Last edited:
But I was mostly talking about king sized beds and clothes washing machines, AC that is seldom used, the latest in electronics and all the other stuff that’s not needed. I don’t have that stuff so it’s hard to think of non-essential stuff. I don’t even have windshield wipers. Sure at times they would be nice but I’ve had the boat for 19 years and haven’t got to the point where I thought they were worth the effort/money.

King sized bed used daily
Washing machine used weekly
A/C do not have or need
Latest in electronics? Does free opencpn count?
Windshield wipers do not have but would like on 1 window, a basic type would cost about $100 to do.

Our bigger , very comfortable home cost less to buy than that little trailerable tin boat a few pages back.

Last edited:
Simi,
Your choice your money. But from what you’ve posted down through the years you’ve got what you want and need.

My post on this was very light on cliticization and heavy on the philosophy of operating pleasureboats. And my style of boating is more camping than most here.
If I could have my way (had more money) I’d prolly have a NT 32 or a cruiser style 33’ Navy Utility. Like FF’s boat only much smaller.

FWIW, my general observations when it comes to size:

• the guy with the 80' boat says the 70' boat is too small
  • the guy with the 70' boat says the 60' boat is too small
  • the guy with 60' boat says the 50' boat is too small
  • the guy with the 50' boat says the 40' boat is too small
  • the guy with the 40' boat says the 30' boat is too small
Everyone has different needs, wants, desires, and budgets, any of the above boats could be the right boat for someone.

That is why I never take serious the newbies who ask 'what boat should I buy?"

Jim

Size proportion and layout accommodation choices regarding of our Tollycraft were directly in line to have the boat accomplish our needs/requirements while having the smallest boat possible.

It fits our bill exactly!

The letters 'l' and 'r' are on opposite sides of the keyboard.
Just sayin'... ;)

Boat length doesn't matter to me at all. I mostly go by displacement.
30T is my lower limit.

Last edited:
Size proportion and layout accommodation choices regarding of our Tollycraft were directly in line to have the boat accomplish our needs/requirements while having the smallest boat possible.

It fits our bill exactly!

Yup, my AT34 is the smallest boat I want. Hindsight, the 41 would have been perfect but, I have too much invested in the enhancement on the 34.

Yup, my AT34 is the smallest boat I want. Hindsight, the 41 would have been perfect but, I have too much invested in the enhancement on the 34.

In addition to the many items of our boat which fit our needs perfectly... Tolly's 36'6" LOA, 12'6" beam and 13' air height work very well for snuggling onto 40' covered slip.

Attachments

• TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.jpg
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 45
FWIW, my general observations when it comes to size:

• the guy with the 80' boat says the 70' boat is too small
  • the guy with the 70' boat says the 60' boat is too small
  • the guy with 60' boat says the 50' boat is too small
  • the guy with the 50' boat says the 40' boat is too small
  • the guy with the 40' boat says the 30' boat is too small
Everyone has different needs, wants, desires, and budgets, any of the above boats could be the right boat for someone.

That is why I never take serious the newbies who ask 'what boat should I buy?"

Jim
The bigger the better mentality is called d!ck swinging down here. :lol: Mines bigger and better. :dance::lol:

The letters 'l' and 'r' are on opposite sides of the keyboard.
Just sayin'... ;)

Boat length doesn't matter to me at all. I mostly go by displacement.
30T is my lower limit.

KnotYet,
You have free moorage?

KnotYet,
You have free moorage?
I'm still looking for the right boat to retire on.

I did have a pretty good deal with the last boat at $7/ft/mo for a 52' side tie.
I doubt it will be that reasonable for the next boat but I hope to keep on the move
and anchor whenever possible in nice places.

The bigger the better mentality is called d!ck swinging down here. :lol: Mines bigger and better. :dance::lol:

Perhaps you have heard of my Big Truck - little penis theory?

Back
Top Bottom