Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure if this link will work, but it's to a Fujifilm camera forum I frequent. Here's a bow treatment from Iceland that I've never seen in a recreational sized trawler before:

Down to the sea in ships..

I have a question.

What happens if the bottom is soft? Does it roll over on its side until the tide returns? Or soft to one side which starts the list. It obviously works or it would not be listed as such. Most of my boating has been fresh water. Just curious. Bill

I think you're missing the point...imagine a similar set of bilge fins/legs on your boat and where you could go with them.

As a former sea kayaker I could envision sneaking into all manner of quiet thin water protected spots, letting the tide fall out from underneath the boat and letting it dry. Could also sneak up creeks and smaller rivers on the high tide and rest on sand bars until the tide lifted you off again.

We have large tides here and there's usually a big difference between the heights of the high tides, so you'd have to be sure to dry out on the lower one!

What happens if the bottom is soft? Does it roll over on its side until the tide returns? Or soft to one side which starts the list. It obviously works or it would not be listed as such. Most of my boating has been fresh water. Just curious. Bill

You'd have to scout out your location carefully, for sure. Google 'careening' and you'll find stuff like this has been going on for centuries.

Murray,

I googled it. I think I am going to pass on any future careening. The padded canvas straps of my marinas hoist seem a good bit more kindly than some oyster and coral covered bottom. I suppose if you live in a remote area, cannot afford marina charges, or have an emergency on your hands, careening is just what the doctor ordered. The Witch Doctor. There are some cool images on google under careening though. Thank you for the educational tip. I too am a semi retired sea kayaker/greenland kayaker. Osteo arthritis did a number on my hobby. Bill

Yes, technically it's 23.8 meters (78 feet) where things become more complicated

I was watching a documentary about the loss of the whaling ship Essex back in 1820. It was only 85 feet long. They sailed that little ship on three year voyages to the South Pacific in those days. I can't imagine the guts and determination it took without electricity, navigational aids, refrigeration, engines, or anything really. Those guys were tough.
The big sperm whale that took them out was estimated to be 82' himself.

The big sperm whale that took them out was estimated to be 82' himself.

Hi Bluto, quick google indicates sperm whales don’t grow bigger than 40 feet long. So did the article say anything about how many barrels of rum they were transporting???

Hi Bluto, quick google indicates sperm whales don’t grow bigger than 40 feet long. So did the article say anything about how many barrels of rum they were transporting???

I just checked Wiki and it said this- "Mature males average 16 metres (52 ft) in length but some may reach 20.5 metres (67 ft)"
The females are much smaller.

82' was the estimate the crew of the Essex reported. After he hit them the first time he passed out momentarily and was immobile alongside the ship so they got a good look at the size of him. He was a giant, big enough to inspire Melville's fictional Moby Dick.
He was big enough to ram and sink their ship, that's a fact. The second attack he hit them from the bow and supposedly stopped the ship and even pushed them backward. :eek:

...I too am a semi retired sea kayaker/greenland kayaker...

As in paddled in Greenland, or had West Greenland style kayaks? Both are quite impressive in that you have to have a full quiver of finely honed skills to stay upright. We had high volume "freighter" touring kayaks.

Murray-:flowers: Even in the estuarys near me, were you to chose and the tide has dropped. if not on a even lay, much as the country bottoms where the boat resides, you will be sitting cockeyed for the full tide change.. Think I will choose to stay on the hook, maybe in a anchoring tidal pool in the stream flow. I have several such locations and I bet you do too.:thumb: Regards, Al

I think you're missing the point...imagine a similar set of bilge fins/legs on your boat and where you could go with them.

As a former sea kayaker I could envision sneaking into all manner of quiet thin water protected spots, letting the tide fall out from underneath the boat and letting it dry. Could also sneak up creeks and smaller rivers on the high tide and rest on sand bars until the tide lifted you off again.

We have large tides here and there's usually a big difference between the heights of the high tides, so you'd have to be sure to dry out on the lower one!

I found the rudder before the prop interesting.

Attachments

• 97B4A2DE-1063-439A-BC51-636612629B5E.jpg
    97B4A2DE-1063-439A-BC51-636612629B5E.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 85

Any fish story has the fish growing as time passes. Three years out and back allows a bit of "Tale" to tell.:dance::lol:

You'd have to scout out your location carefully, for sure. Google 'careening' and you'll find stuff like this has been going on for centuries.
There is a beach called "Careening Cove" in Sydney Harbour. In the early days of Sydney, it was used to beach or careen ships, to work on the bottom between high tides.

I found the rudder before the prop interesting.

its called a flanking rudder. Used to flank tows around banks in Mississippi river. It helps stop the sliding of large tows/towboats in turns.Most towboats (push boats) have them, whether on the western rivers or not. They greatly add to maneuverability.

I have no idea what this trawler is, but what IS interesting is the beautiful sunset he is enjoying here on the Indian River, Florida :)
I think the sky is still on fire from that SpaceX Falcon that launched yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_5101.jpg
    IMG_5101.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5090.jpg
    IMG_5090.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5097.jpg
    IMG_5097.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 55
Murray-:flowers: Even in the estuarys near me, were you to chose and the tide has dropped. if not on a even lay, much as the country bottoms where the boat resides, you will be sitting cockeyed for the full tide change.. Think I will choose to stay on the hook, maybe in a anchoring tidal pool in the stream flow. I have several such locations and I bet you do too.:thumb: Regards, Al

Hi Al,

Yup, we've got some hidey holes for sure. Not much flat tidal grounds close to town, but things flatten out and there's less mud towards "the outside".

Last edited:
Seems like some funky bulbous bow

Yah, but...it would increase length, and I imagine it would split and disperse some of a waves energy instead of the full force of the wave striking the bow.

I'd like to see video of it in some close, steep, 4' waves.

Its on a lot of new large ships and is supposed to reduce crew fatigue by smoothing out the motion of the ship as it cuts through waves.....or so sayeth Youtube and marketing literature.

Google: Ulstein X Bow

Well now, this Vripack is interesting. Check out the permanently mounted 'beach legs' allowing to dry out on beaches. Very cool!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/vripack-kotter-9-65-ok-3519811/?refSource=standard listing
Besides the neat bilge keels or 'beach legs' you call them, what yukky impractical layout !!
The galley is down some dark hole where you need negotiate the stairs without spilling all your food. And the cockpit seating all facing forward ?? More yukky.

Besides the neat bilge keels or 'beach legs' you call them, what yukky impractical layout !!
The galley is down some dark hole where you need negotiate the stairs without spilling all your food. And the cockpit seating all facing forward ?? More yukky.

I called them beach legs because they're hollow (bent bar stock?) so can't really call them bilge keels or bilge fins. That was the interesting bit.

Dude.....

Attachments

• 20191113_104819 (Large).jpg
    20191113_104819 (Large).jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 112
The cast iron looking railings and cockpit door are def interesting, as is the flybridge bench.

As in Greenland kayaks

Mostly hard chined West Greenland boats around 18 x 21" wide. I also built a skin on frame boat mostly for rolling and straight line speed. I think all the paddling and rolling helped my joints to self destruct a little quicker than if I had not paddled so much. Typical paddles were 17-20 miles. Our Hugh Heward race on the Grand River is 51.6 miles, but we get varying amounts of current based on the run off.
I have seriously looked at the Sparkman & Stephens trawler for sale on this forum, it has bilge keels to cut down on the rolling but nothing that extends down far enough to rest the hull on. Not a real need on the Great Lakes, but I like the idea of the bilge keels in place of a more expensive and complicated stabilizer system (more effective too I would imagine). Bill

As in paddled in Greenland, or had West Greenland style kayaks? Both are quite impressive in that you have to have a full quiver of finely honed skills to stay upright. We had high volume "freighter" touring kayaks.

Back
Top Bottom