Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One would believe this a nice rendition of what an trawler be defined. Obviously a transformed working trawler. Enjoy the video of a seaworthy boat. I do not depict any stabilizer gear just a raw full displacement hull doing what should be done while doing it. Watch particularly as it is passing the incoming cargo ship. Wake action!
Enjoy:

Those nice curves remind me of Menorquin..

Hand me the bucket, quick!
It doesn't look like it has a dry stack.

Wow some rolly seas. Beautiful varnished wood hull, but I guess you Florida boys won't be doing that to your boats! I bet the owner is glad he's not in a little plastic recreational "yacht."

So he obviously loves his Caterpillar, and I notice those rolling chocks are pretty much useless. I've always read they are about 8-9% effective at reducing roll.

" I've always read " and what an experienced position to made such a statement.

Last edited:
...and I notice those rolling chocks are pretty much useless...

Compared to the size of rolling chocks I've seen here in BC I'd call those lower rub rails, not rolling chocks. My estimation is the rolling chocks here typically stand out from the hull 3 or 4 times further than the ones on this vessel.

Compared to the size of rolling chocks I've seen here in BC I'd call those lower rub rails, not rolling chocks. My estimation is the rolling chocks here typically stand out from the hull 3 or 4 times further than the ones on this vessel.

Hi Murray, Agree- Could have been the resistance rails for long line retriving to protect the hull from line cutting. Now that you have had a view of this rig, hang on to for this ride:

Al-Ketchikan

Hi Murray, Agree- Could have been the resistance rails for long line retriving to protect the hull from line cutting. Now that you have had a view of this rig, hang on to for this ride:

Al-Ketchikan

Cool ride:hide: Ketchican...

this is Norway when sea is high...

https://youtu.be/3Rjh8pLeoUg

and short video bit Baltic sea, no ocean only costal areas... https://youtu.be/IUxxJC2kGvM

NBs

Last edited:
Greetings,
I hear ya' brother. I could only watch one vid'. There wasn't a "bucket" close by. UGH!!!

Where is the captain's seat harness? I hope there were PFD and helmets.

Yes. Was looking at that and trying to imagine my boat surfing down those waves and not broaching. Not sure my rudder and steering gear could hold up to that.

Cool boat, but 1967 steel hull for $400k plus? I don’t get it. Even at $300k I’m not sure it get it. But I’m scared of steel hulls like some are of “composting toilets”, so.....

[emoji30][emoji23]

Last edited:
Cool boat, but 1967 steel hull for $400k plus? I don’t get it. Even $300k I’m not sure it get it. But I’m scared of steel hulls like some are of composting toilets, so.....

[emoji30][emoji23]

Corten (core ten?) steel apparently lasts longer.

Jolly good! That was interesting. Are the canals still usable today?

Greetings,

I really enjoyed that!

Jolly good! That was interesting. Are the canals still usable today?

They are. Many are anyway. It’s almost exclusively for pleasure boats these days. The industrial usage is just about zero. There are loads of videos on YouTube of people cruising the canals. I could totally get into it. The narrow boats themselves aren’t too terribly expensive either. You could get a nice one less than 10 years old for well under 100k

I bet someone on TF has done a narrow boat journey. I have friends who have,it`s a very different form of boating to ours, except I guess some know locks,whereas here we don`t. It`s quite an art. I`ve seen plenty of canals and narrow boats in England but never having done it myself,looking forward to stories from those who have. Lots of places hire them out,and supply suggested itineraries. The canals go right through the middle of towns, much like Irish Rover`s experiences in France.

46900475_10213159133361158_1020241130085679104_n.jpg

Greetings,

The cover pic shows a 1950s lady,much at ease with the rigors of narrow boating, firmly applying lock to the tiller with one arm while deftly wielding a mop or prod for fending off in the other.

Reminds me of a line in a divorce case involving a farming couple. The wife claimed a lack of strength for farm work. The husband replied that in his opinion,his wife was "strong enough to hold a bull out to piss". Presumably a rural expression not heard in the city, it conjured up for me a picture of a lady, arms extended, holding a urinating bull in mid air. :nonono:

Love those old narrow boats and barges.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom