Installing a thru hull transducer in the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Question:

What are the challenges with installing a thru hull transducer while the boat is in the water?

What adhesive/sealer will work underwater?

Anyone do one?

Question:

What are the challenges with installing a thru hull transducer while the boat is in the water?

What adhesive/sealer will work underwater?

Anyone do one?

I wouldn't do it, most transducers will shoot through the hull just fine, I would just do this until you your next planned haul out. If you have an area in the sump that water sets anyway, just set the transducer into it for now and see how well it reads, it will probably surprise you.

I too would think shoot thru the hull as an alternative till the next haulout. But in the water installs can be done with a good team.

In water installs are tricky as the have to be pretty well rehearsed. The wider the hole, the more exciting it is.

Ant of the 4200/5200 family should work...double check the literature and there certainly could be more.

I wouldn't do it, most transducers will shoot through the hull just fine, I would just do this until you your next planned haul out. If you have an area in the sump that water sets anyway, just set the transducer into it for now and see how well it reads, it will probably surprise you.

I put inside the hull transducers in my last 2 boats and they read just as well.
And they don't get barnacles on them.

Yes, it can be done but proper planning is crucial. 5200 will go off under water, in fact it needs moisture in order to setup. Had a problem in Arizona due to low humidity, the 5200 wouldn’t go off until I wrapped in wet rags.

Yes, it can be done but proper planning is crucial. 5200 will go off under water, in fact it needs moisture in order to setup. Had a problem in Arizona due to low humidity, the 5200 wouldn’t go off until I wrapped in wet rags.
Even if it takes moisture to cure will adhere wet as well as dry would be important. I have no idea but I'd try first if you decide to do... I wouldn't take the chance.

Use a toilet bowl wax ring to stick it temporarily to the inside of the hull, just make sure there are no air gaps between the transducer and the hull. You may find it works well enough to leave it that way.

Back
Top Bottom