Info on the SISU 22 hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking at buying a boat that is based on the SISU 22. The hull is the SISU, but with a bit more cabin on the hull. Wondering what the ride is like on a SISU and how people like the hull. Any problems that I should be made aware of with handling, ride, etc. Thanks in advance.

Inboard or outboard version?

How much more cabin structure?

The problem with a 22 foot cabin boat on a planning or semi-displacement hull is that it isn't going to ride much different than many 22 foot boats. Putting it another way, it will probably never be comfortable for cruising in other than protected waters. Shorter trips OK but when you experience more open waters, the wind will be critical. fast=pounding, slow may mean a lot of rocking.

The inboard version appears to be similar to the old 22/26 foot Shamrock hull and I have 14 years experience running one in all kinds of conditions as an assistance tow vessel.

I was looking at the Cape Breton made by Eastern Boats. I know that no 22 footer is comfortable in the open ocean or rough water, but most of my boating now is in the ICW or other protected waters. Was wondering if someone has a SISU hull, if I could ask a bunch of questions. Like how does it handle in following seas, Does it need a lot of power to get up on a plane, etc. Thanks Again

Looks like that is the outboard. Can't see from the pictures if it has any keel or not. The small keels often on these boats help a lot with inboards, and I have no experience with similar but outboard. Outboards can help a lot i following seas both as very astern drag and quick to respond steering.

But I will let others with experience in that type vessel take over.

That's a Rosborough 22

https://easternboats.com/boats/rosborough-22-cape-breton/

If you can get over about 12-14 kts you should be able to get ahead of following seas. With the 150, I'd think you'd be able to get ahead of following seas. It has a square stern, so any overtaking sea will likely push it around a little.

I had a similar hulled Atlas Pompano 23- see avatar to the left. Anything over 2’ of chop was uncomfortable at 13 kts and 3’ of chop was my absolute limit.

David

Unfortunately, following seas (swell) is often accompanied by wind chop.

22 footers that are not weird, full displacement 22 footers, suffer that they can't run at enough speed to overcome the following larger seas.

DavidM's advice follows my experience in similar vessels.

Post this question on the Downeast Forum (Downeast Boat Forum). The Sisu 22 hull has been around for a long time & is very well regarded. You also might want to look at the RF246.

You will find the most knowledge of this hull on a different web forum: Downeast Boat Forum

You’ll find a vast knowledge base of all things to do with Downeast boats like the Sisu 22.

The Sisu's were designed by Royal Lowell who designed at least a dozen other production downeasters and 100's of one offs. Never a bad one.

I'm looking at buying a boat that is based on the SISU 22. The hull is the SISU, but with a bit more cabin on the hull. Wondering what the ride is like on a SISU and how people like the hull. Any problems that I should be made aware of with handling, ride, etc. Thanks in advance.
I owned a 22' Sisu for several years in the early 2000s. repowered with 140 Suzuki 4 stroke it was very efficient, ran low 30's (if I recall correctly) handled heavy chop well, but need to be cautious in a following sea, as the keel tended to bite in. I believe early versions were more rounded, with Chines? added in later versions. I loved it, like an easy chair you could board in work boots. They made a diesel 26' also and I believe Eastern Boats are a derivative.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom