How We Ended Up Buying a New Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good discussions all around. I think you kind of missed my point though. Most boat owners enjoy piloting the vessel and doing all the other things like docking and anchoring. That's part of the attraction and sense of adventure and accomplishment. If you get to the point where it's just about being on the water and having someone drive the boat while you sit in a lounge chair and enjoy the view with a cocktail, there's better ways to do that than buying a bigger boat and hiring a crew. If that's what I wanted to do, I would rather travel to different parts of the world and charter a boat with crew or some sort of small size cruise ship. I think the experiences would be better at a fraction of the cost, but everyone has differnt ideas of what they enjoy, so my opinion is just that. It doesn't have to be right for you or anyone else. I don't think that's quite the same as having more than 1 home vs. staying in a hotel.

Understood and I agree. I’m thinking there might be a stage where you want to do many of the things but have someone as a backup just in case? For example, I am licensed in seaplanes but if I haven’t flown in some time I take along a professional pilot. Or on longer trips as someone to help manage or ferry the plane (ie you can’t leave them tied up at a public dock when you go to grab a sandwich).

I don’t want to distract from this thread anymore with my ramblings on the potential future I know nothing about!

No insult intended to anyone, but if I was going to hire a capt to drive me around, I think I'd rather just go on occasional private charters or small cruise ships. And by small I mean dozens of people, not thousands. For the price of ownership of a large boat plus crew, you could do a lot of that in a year in a lot of places in the world.

I think where your post goes a bit astray in my opinion is calling it "hire a capt to drive me around." Paid crew can be utilized in many ways. Some who hire crew have them do all the navigation and driving and everything else. Others use crew to relieve themselves of certain things such as maintenance and dealing with problems, but still are the ones at the helm the vast majority of the time and anytime they wish.

If taking the helm is something you want to do and enjoy you can while someone else does whatever it is you don't enjoy as much or that which you are no longer physically capable of doing all the time.

When we were first learning we had two captains (a married couple) training us and one day they looked at us and laughed and said "You guys never let us drive the boat. You hog the helm." We all laughed. It was ironic as part of their training method was having us do everything while they just provided instruction and guidance. We knew they'd bail us out if any trouble arose but it was our job to run our boat. Best trainers ever but they still joke that we're "Helm Hogs." That does remind me of another way in which an aging couple might use a captain. You want to cover 8 hours of ground today, but that's just too much for you now to spend running the boat. Now you have someone to sub in when you need a break or split the time.

Some boaters also use the captains to move the boat longer distances and then they meet the boat. I know a situation right now where a couple regularly uses a captain but boated all summer on the Chesapeake without him. However, the captain is bringing the boat south with the husband while the wife drives a car down. They'll meet in Fort Lauderdale and most of the boating the next few months will be local. There will be some times though they use the captain to drive them around for the day or to dinner and then a sunset cruise back. Their "captain" is actually in the yacht management business and is available, or can always get them someone else if not, when needed.

I'd encourage all boaters as their circumstances change over the years to carefully analyze what they can do to maximize continued enjoyment. That may mean hire some crew or go to an RV or change to a small electric boat and cruise near home. Just do whatever works for you.

Hogging the helm?
Thats the autopilot

We literally start engine, weigh anchor, put in gear, steer a heading and press a button.
Get to destination and reverse process.

Always on watch but very rarely touch the wheel.

Last edited:
Hogging the helm?
Thats the autopilot

We literally start engine, weigh anchor, put in gear, steer a heading and press a button.
Get to destination and reverse process.

Always on watch but very rarely touch the wheel.

I would feel more comfortable hand steering the boat when on the internal part of the ICW. The only time I would semi-trust the auto pilot would be on the 'outside'. Too many people believe, drawing a line(s) on the MFD, engaging the auto pilot, then punching the button will ensure a safe passage. Always, it is situation awareness.

This thread that I started has certainly gone sideways, or, may be because i indicated i would switch to another forum. But, here is what I am thinking of doing - until we actually take possession of this boat - it looks like it may be 20-24 months, i will continue here chronicling my experience on new boat build. Afterwards will switch to liveaboard forum and Kadey-Krogen.
Meanwhile, will ask some specific questions on equipment and such on other forums.

So, back to continue where I left off. I am indeed planning to use services of so someone like Steve D’Anton to advise us during the process. But, i am kind seeing this as adventure and not wanting to be guided blindly, active engagement is going to be there on my part.

One thing I learnt from the replies in this thread is that 60’ may not only be handful but not quite needed for comfortable live aboard style. I think those who said it might be right!
But, i know that 46 GB we spent last july in PNW was fine but more than me, my spouse came away feeling she wanted more space, if she were to live on the boat full time. And, i had to agree since otherwise there would be only one person (me) on the boat!

About this being our last boat, I did not think about getting captain or simply crew to help out is a swell idea. May be we will keep the boat longer that way. Lets see how though first few years go.

Am writing this post at thousands of feet above ocean - on an international trip of over 12 hours.

As for the name, i like someone suggesting last hoorah, but i am sure its taken!

Our sailboat was named “Laxmi”. An odd name for most unless you of Indian origin. Laxmi is a godess of Money and also of oceans in hindu scriptures. We frequently joked that it is very appropriate name for boat since owning one is like pouring money into ocean.

Not yet there in terms of figuring out what to name this new boat we are building. May be call it MahaLaxmi - literally means big money! And is also a name used for a goddess.

Oh, well! I am rambling because I am sleep deprived..

I would feel more comfortable hand steering the boat when on the internal part of the ICW. The only time I would semi-trust the auto pilot would be on the 'outside'. Too many people believe, drawing a line(s) on the MFD, engaging the auto pilot, then punching the button will ensure a safe passage. Always, it is situation awareness.

Sooo..... Does AP recognize flotsam and maneuver immediately to miss it; then accurately regain navigation position? I think not - at least not yet... until AI gets better advanced.

Therefore... as you say: "Always, it is situation awareness."

This thread that I started has certainly gone sideways, or, may be because i indicated i would switch to another forum. But, here is what I am thinking of doing - until we actually take possession of this boat - it looks like it may be 20-24 months, i will continue here chronicling my experience on new boat build. Afterwards will switch to liveaboard forum and Kadey-Krogen.
Meanwhile, will ask some specific questions on equipment and such on other forums.

So, back to continue where I left off. I am indeed planning to use services of so someone like Steve D’Anton to advise us during the process. But, i am kind seeing this as adventure and not wanting to be guided blindly, active engagement is going to be there on my part.

One thing I learnt from the replies in this thread is that 60’ may not only be handful but not quite needed for comfortable live aboard style. I think those who said it might be right!
But, i know that 46 GB we spent last july in PNW was fine but more than me, my spouse came away feeling she wanted more space, if she were to live on the boat full time. And, i had to agree since otherwise there would be only one person (me) on the boat!

About this being our last boat, I did not think about getting captain or simply crew to help out is a swell idea. May be we will keep the boat longer that way. Lets see how though first few years go.

Am writing this post at thousands of feet above ocean - on an international trip of over 12 hours.

As for the name, i like someone suggesting last hoorah, but i am sure its taken!

Our sailboat was named “Laxmi”. An odd name for most unless you of Indian origin. Laxmi is a godess of Money and also of oceans in hindu scriptures. We frequently joked that it is very appropriate name for boat since owning one is like pouring money into ocean.

Not yet there in terms of figuring out what to name this new boat we are building. May be call it MahaLaxmi - literally means big money! And is also a name used for a goddess.

What water you flying over? Got wifi on that flight??

hrk, whichever name you choose, remember to be gentle to the lock masters and bridge tenders. I have been told, they must keep a written record of the boats transiting using their facilities. LOL

I do know of one stolen boat that was recovered because of the bridge tenders' written log. Law enforcement was able to determine its path and where to 'meet' the boat.
I would not be surprised to learn, every cut to the ocean, has a installed camera, recording boats going in and out.
We might as well just accept, just can hide on the water either. LOL
My brother was out with some friends, on Lake St Claire, one guy relieved himself over the side. A few days later, he, the boat owner, got a ticket along with a clear picture. Just can hide!! LOL

hrk, whichever name you choose, remember to be gentle to the lock masters and bridge tenders. I have been told, they must keep a written record of the boats transiting using their facilities. LOL

I do know of one stolen boat that was recovered because of the bridge tenders' written log. Law enforcement was able to determine its path and where to 'meet' the boat.
I would not be surprised to learn, every cut to the ocean, has a installed camera, recording boats going in and out.
We might as well just accept, just can hide on the water either. LOL
My brother was out with some friends, on Lake St Claire, one guy relieved himself over the side. A few days later, he, the boat owner, got a ticket along with a clear picture. Just can hide!! LOL

And that is why it is/was good to be living in the days of pre 100% surveillances. We oldsters actually know what the word privacy means! Guess that word will disappear completely as time moves onward. :eek: :nonono: :facepalm: :mad: :ermm:

What water you flying over? Got wifi on that flight??

WARNING: :offtopic: The last flight I took to Spain had WiFi but they also had some fantastic moves too. I turned on a movie and promptly fell into a fitful sleep, missing most of the movie too. I flew business class. The seats folded back into a 'near bed configuration' and got actual metal utensils with out meals.
A word caution, the flight attendant's did get excited when I walked up and down the aisle, to get the blood flowing in my legs. I walked twice. There was a large flight attendant who asked me/prevented me from making the 'great circle' of both aisles.

Sooo..... Does AP recognize flotsam and maneuver immediately to miss it; then accurately regain navigation position? I think not - at least not yet... until AI gets better advanced.

Therefore... as you say: "Always, it is situation awareness."

I did say always on watch.
And of course if something is seen we disengage and avoid.

This thread that I started has certainly gone sideways...

I am indeed planning to use services of so someone like Steve D’Anton to advise us during the process. But, i am kind seeing this as adventure and not wanting to be guided blindly, active engagement is going to be there on my part...

Our sailboat was named “Laxmi”. An odd name for most unless you of Indian origin. Laxmi is a godess of Money and also of oceans in hindu scriptures.

OP, so to get back on track and comment on your 2 statements above:

You need to assess what your budget is for hiring an advisor/surveyor for a new construction and whether it will bring real value. Krogens have been produced in large numbers over many years in sizes larger and smaller than yours. Not exactly a one-off from a small yard. You would find your time very well spent by getting in touch with owners over the last few years who have taken delivery of new KKs and getting their feedback on issues discovered during build and commissioning; issues uncovered in the first year; things they would have done differently. This could run the whole gamut from systems to layout to dividers in drawers and cabinets.

Ship's names. Cute, fun, impossible to understand over a radio names are fine for a day boat. But when you start traveling through multiple countries then your ship's name, home port and call sign take on more significance. A boat may be a personal item, but ideally keep it short, sweet and easy to understand for those whose English may not be very good.

'You need to assess what your budget is for hiring an advisor/surveyor for a new construction and whether it will bring real value."

AS a very minimum a survey is wise before closing.

While you hold the check any "problem" will be repaired quickly .

This is true for both boats and RV's.

In Simi's defense, I generally do the same thing. He didn't say he hit the A/P and left the helm to sit on a couch with a drink. You can allow the A/P to setter and still keep a vigilant watch. In fact many would argue that relieving the capt from steering allows him/her to keep a better watch and pay more attention to other points of data.

To B&B, point taken. I wasn't implying that a hired capt and/or crew have no place in boating. I was replying a specific post that said when he got too old, he would buy a bigger boat and hire a capt. That's fine, just not the way I would go. I see some older guys at my yacht club who have downsized to a center console fishing boat and go out for a day on the water with big smiles. That would be more my style, but that's just me. YMMV.

I too am a bit surprised at the responses you've gotten. There are a lot of couples running 60-foot boats (and larger), many who, unlike yourselves, had very little prior experience.

Take heart HRK. Most threads are not so hopelessly adrift as this one quickly became. Not sure why it happened. Your writing was articulate and respectful. Yet elicited a bit more punditry than normal.

BTW - I had dinner 2-weeks ago with the owner of a N62, a slight man no more than 5'7" tall and maybe 150 lbs. He is 82 years old and has owned his N62 for over 15 years and has put over 25,000 nms on her. He volunteered that he hired Steve D'Antonio for the original inspection. "Best money I ever spent" were his exact words.

I hope to read more about your build process. Though you may want to join whatever branded group that may be out there (Nordhavn Owners Group is closed to non-owners, for example. Willard Owners Group that I moderate is great too, though obviously not germane for you).

Good luck on whatever path you decide.

Peter

EDIT - there are no greater accelerants to thread drift than adding boat names to the discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrk
I am flying over atlantic, greenland, europe and gulf. Going Delhi, India from new york. Wifi on this united flight is excellent for email and small file transfers. Business class seats are good lie-flat. Got good stretch of sleep

Last edited:
Most airlines offer in-flight wifi for a fee, although it's not always reliable and on some flights may not be working at all. Bandwidth is limited but it's good for emails and getting work done. Streaming is generally not supported.

Is it realistic to use "budget" and "boating" in the same sentence?

I think your decision on 60' was well thought out and you should ignore any distractors. You reached that point logically and thoughtfully. I'd also toss this to the distractors. Once one says they've chosen and are buying a particular boat, they're no longer asking for advice on what boat to buy.

Now long before finding you need a captain, you may well find other needs, some of which are easy to fill. Handling and docking a 60' boat is no more difficult than a 35' boat and sometimes easier. Cleaning and maintaining are more difficult. However, at the vast majority of marinas there is someone available for a small price to wash down the boat for you, even those to do the interior and, of course, the bottom.

Similarly, you decide what split on DIY vs. Paid is right for you on other maintenance. If you want an excellent lesson, read the early days of Wayfarer's journey on here as he went from overwhelmed by pressure to do it all himself to availing himself of help and becoming one of the happiest cruisers here.

You may also find certain things you really enjoy and others you don't. We knew a guy who used a captain to run the boat but at the end of the day he'd always jump in and chamois the boat himself as it was washed down. He absolutely loved doing that and he also loved waxing his own boat, just as he loved doing his car. Seeing it clean, glowing, and knowing he did that was just a certain satisfaction for him. For most, it would be the first thing they'd farm out. Some love to "tinker" with engines and others best never go near them. I'm very non-mechanical but filters are something I don't mind being diligent over. I am fanatical over checking fuel filters and checking watermaker filters and membranes.

Your thoughts on one day hiring a captain describe a route I've known many to take as they age. Others hire mates to help them. Some hire stews because they're tired of housekeeping. Others hire chefs because they want to eat better. You hire according to needs and desires. Let's assume that at each ten year threshold one will have 20% less energy and physical capability. Well, then you eliminate the 20% you'll miss least. And then if at some point, boating is just too much or the thrill is gone or it scares you or anything else happen, then you move on to another avocation.

Part of that is just being well rounded too. We love boating. We average around 280 days a year of boating. However, if boating was ruled out for some reason or reduced, there are so many things in life we love.

For some, it's a challenge, they haven't developed other loves. We're very close to a married couple of captains who have just turned 64 and 61 and are in the process of cutting back on work. They love to fish and own their own SF but love to do so less frequently. The mostly love when they take 2 or 3 younger girls with them who love fishing and they get to enjoy seeing them do so but the younger girls also clean the boat and keep it immaculate. They thought about buying a home in the mountains and took a vacation there and quickly realized they loved the vacation but didn't want to live away from the coast even part time. They have discovered some new loves. Sitting on the patio drinking coffee in the mornings with their best friends and then just visiting places around town that interest them. Also, as they were always on the water, they never did any gardening but as their friends do they like to do a little themselves and love to go to garden shows and stores as outings. And before you think they're sitting around doing nothing, they love to walk every afternoon with their friends.

We hope to boat forever, but we know it will change and we're not worried about what to do if we have to boat less. There will even be new generations to observe and enjoy, young people becoming adults and then the adults having their children.

We will all age differently but the ability to physically do less doesn't have to eliminate boating. You keep thinking things through as logically as you did your boat choice, and you'll continue to enjoy boating.

I am flying over atlantic, greenland, europe and gulf. Going Delhi, India from new york. Wifi on this united flight is excellent for email and small file transfers. Business class seats are good lie-flat. Got good stretch of sleep

:thumb:

WARNING: :offtopic: The last flight I took to Spain had WiFi but they also had some fantastic moves too. I turned on a movie and promptly fell into a fitful sleep, missing most of the movie too. I flew business class. The seats folded back into a 'near bed configuration' and got actual metal utensils with out meals.
A word caution, the flight attendant's did get excited when I walked up and down the aisle, to get the blood flowing in my legs. I walked twice. There was a large flight attendant who asked me/prevented me from making the 'great circle' of both aisles.

Standing and walking is usually encouraged as long as you don't approach the cockpit door. Perhaps foreign airlines are more strict, I haven't been on one in quite a while.

To B&B. In post #29 the OP invites comments and criticisms as he believes there is some knowledge to be gained from them. Just because every couple here would not arrive at the same decision (rarely any 2 would) does not mean they are distractors. This would be a very boring thread if nobody expressed opinions and we just waited for the next update from the OP. You say that their selection process was very well thought out. I don't know every detail of every thing they did but it appears that they decided on trawler size from 1 charter of a likely old Grand Banks. I would suggest that many modern designs of brand new boats offer more space and better accomdations than the same length of an old Grand Banks. (nothing against those boats, love them, just making a point). But I guess that thought of mine makes me a distractor and I should not express it here.

To B&B. In post #29 the OP invites comments and criticisms as he believes there is some knowledge to be gained from them. Just because every couple here would not arrive at the same decision (rarely any 2 would) does not mean they are distractors. This would be a very boring thread if nobody expressed opinions and we just waited for the next update from the OP. You say that their selection process was very well thought out. I don't know every detail of every thing they did but it appears that they decided on trawler size from 1 charter of a likely old Grand Banks. I would suggest that many modern designs of brand new boats offer more space and better accomdations than the same length of an old Grand Banks. (nothing against those boats, love them, just making a point). But I guess that thought of mine makes me a distractor and I should not express it here.
Not directed at backinblue, just he posted a valid question.

What would have been interesting is if, instead of ponting out flaws, detractors had asked questions. "What type of living space accommodations did you see in a 60 footer vs a 50 footer?" Instead of jumping on the 'you'll need a captain' bandwagon, if people had asked "will you be the operators? What was your impression of largest size you could comfortably handle? Or will you need a captain?"

I agree with BandB. Even if the OP asked for criticism, boat selection is sort of off the table. If a casual acquaintance says "stop by anytime," decorum suggests you do so with notice and permission.

Peter

Not directed at backinblue, just he posted a valid question.

What would have been interesting is if, instead of ponting out flaws, detractors had asked questions. "What type of living space accommodations did you see in a 60 footer vs a 50 footer?" Instead of jumping on the 'you'll need a captain' bandwagon, if people had asked "will you be the operators? What was your impression of largest size you could comfortably handle? Or will you need a captain?"

I agree with BandB. Even if the OP asked for criticism, boat selection is sort of off the table. If a casual acquaintance says "stop by anytime," decorum suggests you do so with notice and permission.

Peter

Thanks MVW. That was basically my thought process as well. Nothing
against anyone who wants the biggest boat they can handle, I applaud that. But to your point, the living accomodations between a 50 and 60 footer might be essentially the same for a couple whereby the larger boat adds an additional stateroom and head that might not be of any consequence. Asking questions for further clarification on their decision is informational and does not automatically infer criticism.

I just understand his selection to be a done deal, although not completely sure of whether he's actually ordered the boat. I was proceeding on the basis he has.

I agree on the GB. Even comparing to a 54' would be something, but then we can't access all the available boats. That's why selection can become an overwhelming process and people can get so bogged down in it, they become paralyzed.

It's funny that our first coastal boat was a Riva and we made the decision quickly and didn't really consider a lot of other boats as weren't many that similar. We thought of Pershing but didn't like surface drive. Sunseeker was too slow for us (yes get ready for irony later). We love Riva and still have it.

But the one boat, we couldn't decide on was what boat to get for the loop. This went on for a long time until we hit a critical point if we were actually going to do the loop. I had to have the perfect boat and it doesn't exist, of course. But wanted capacity for at least 6, water draft 5' or less, air draft 19' or less, cruise speed at least 26-28 knots but preferred more, upper galley, flybridge, dual helm, 60' max size. This took years. First choice was 60' Hatteras but no lower helm eliminated an otherwise perfect choice. Sunseeker Manhattan 63 eliminated by lower galley. Grand Banks had models of interest but I worried about the company and as it turns out when they got their act together the boats we would have considered were discontinued. Fleming was a consideration but too slow. We considered custom through a SF builder or a redesign and build of a Pacific Mariner 65. We rejected Princess over quality and the fact they use pods in that size. Almost went for a Sea Ray 650 L Fly but then quality issues scared us away. Finally Sunseeker added a Manhattan 65, identical to the 63 but galley down and that's the route we went. It really was great but for some reason I never loved that boat like our others. Did I sabotage myself in the process? Surely there was something else out there.

Well, we sold that boat after a couple of years. Never even made it home but worked out well. But that leaves us now wanting to do the loop again and choosing a boat again. I'm saying must order by February 28, 2022. Has anything changed? Well, leader in clubhouse is now Sunseeker Manhattan 68. It essentially replaced the 66 which replaced the 65 and 63 and in total only 3" difference in size. I'm still not in love with it but know it would do well. Should we consider GB 60 or Palm Beach 65? They make no use of the bow. What about reconsidering Fleming. What about a catamaran? Thought about Coastal Craft 65 but they discontinued it. Riva has a model but draft too much and flybridge too small. We will make a choice by February but will it be like last time and I'll like it but never love it? Such a stupid problem for me to agonize over when any and all would be fine and I'm just being a greedy perfectionist of some type. So, he made a decision, bought a boat, I applaud and not going to criticize his choice. It will work fine for his desired use. Maybe I'll start another thread and encourage all to jump on and help and criticize me on the next loop boat.

Hrk,

Keep this thread going, and hope it doesn't drift for you. Interested in your reasoning, and what your end product will be.

The captain is an option if you needed, but who knows. I'm already pushing 76, no issue operating my boat and already thinking of the "next" one. I'd sure like to get into your size range, but I'm severely limited with the waterway to my dock (home). Low tides and tight. Could get a 60 footer in (carefully) but really need a shallow draft. Considering a large cat for the solution. Who knows. Maybe the Army Corps will dredge my channel and open it (yea!).

Ain't gonna sell the house... it's very hard to replicate and does all I want, except for the shallow water.

Just an anecdote: Amazing how much can be understood [in reality presumed] about persons by spending years reading their threads.

Back
Top Bottom