Old 04-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #21
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshanafelt View Post
I use a Gulf coast bypass filter on my Cummins 6bt .

Filter element is nothing more than a large size bounty paper towel roll.

Change the filter every 100 hrs & add about a gallon of make up oil

I do a full oil change at 7-800 hrs.

Oil is tested every year.

The oil color stays almost clear which I understand is lack of soot

I
A long time between changes but if the test says its good I guess it is.

I'll be interested to get our oil tested at 250 hours and see if we can double or triple the change interval, especially as for us its 40itres per change.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Depends on the engine and the loading. Some 3208TA in high output apps you can change the oil three times in a row and it is black after a couple hours run. Run same engine at 1200 and it will stay clean for 20hrs.

Nothing wrong with black oil, it's just soot.

On my 450C, it is pretty black at 50-100hrs, I change it at about 300hrs.

If it bothers you, take a sample and see what the soot/insolubles are.

What makes oil black? .. soot. What makes soot black? Cabon .. I think. And Iíve been led to belive that carbon is an abrasive and assume an abrasive will cause engine wear. Black engine oil is the norm though and our engines last a very long time (almost all) even including fairly significant negligence.

How much wear? Could be fly stuff or significant. I donít see why we should be very concerned about engine wear. Very few here have repowered due to engine wear. Most all repowers are probably a result of negligence or just plain mistakes. And I suspect any fairly good maintenance proceedure re oil changes (and related practices) will allow our engines to last as long as we need them.

Thereís a lot of unjustified worry about engine life here on TF IMO and probably all or almost all of it is a waste of time and money. However itís probably certain that centrifuging or by-pass filtering does extend engine life I personally donít think it will be enough to change your life.

But it makes much more interesting conversation than ďwhat did you pay for your bow thrusterĒ.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:27 AM   #23

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
I too would be interested in a separate thread on centrifuges, from those who have them and know about them, please. I will start it now.

My CAT C7s turn the oil black very quickly after a full service (and that service happens every 200 hours or 12 months, whichever comes first).

I once read a thread from a trawler charter company in the USA, NW Explorations, where the Director said he installed oil centrifuges on most of the charter fleet and subsequently saw significantly prolonged engine life and much cleaner oil. I have been intrigued about engine oil centrifuges ever since.

Over here in Australia, my enquiries about oil centrifuges for engines of the C7 size (7 litre, in line 6, turbocharged) have met with a blank wall, so grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks,

H.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:36 AM   #24
Guru

Do the c7 have a bypass filter Brishamish?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:03 AM   #25
Guru

Has anyone worked out their oil change interval by using the chart method, which I assume all makes would have in their manual?

If I have worked ours out correctly, with the low rpm therefore low fuel burn we experience, red line, we don't even register on the scale so could extend ours from 250 hours to 600+ hours.
Attached Thumbnails
sketch-1522652974960.jpg  
Old 04-02-2018, 03:40 AM   #26

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Hi Simi,

No, I don’t think my C7 engines have a bypass filter?

Hi, by the way. Have seen you out around at Peel and Sandhills. We Bert at RQYS. Pls come and say hello if you see us.

Hamish.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:48 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisHamish View Post
Hi Simi,

No, I donít think my C7 engines have a bypass filter?

Hi, by the way. Have seen you out around at Peel and Sandhills. We Bert at RQYS. Pls come and say hello if you see us.

Hamish.
Shall do and same offer here.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:55 AM   #28
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Has anyone worked out their oil change interval by using the chart method, which I assume all makes would have in their manual?

If I have worked ours out correctly, with the low rpm therefore low fuel burn we experience, red line, we don't even register on the scale so could extend ours from 250 hours to 600+ hours.
What does the curved line represent? The 24 line is less restrictive than the 3 line.
What engines?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Englewood Florida.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:45 AM   #29
FF
Guru

Have run 1960's DD 8-71 and newer 1995 DD Series 50 and with the std modern oil filter the oil is black on restart after a change.

Have a 6-71 built to WWII specks with a bypass filter , called color filter in that era, that is clean at 5 hours and just going light tan at 100-125 on change.

The black is called soot , but weather it is harmless or functions as fine grinding compound is unknown.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
What does the curved line represent? The 24 line is less restrictive than the 3 line.
What engines?
Details here.

The graph above is for a NTA855M Cummins
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2018-04-02-21-10-09.jpg  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #31
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I am installing a remote oil filter to my Kubota based genset
This will allow not only easy change but fitment of much larger filters
Oil has always been instantly black after change so it'll be interesting to see what results I get with a bigger filter.
Could instantly black mean you didn't get all the old oil out? Or very high hours? My genset takes about 50 hours to trend from clear to darker and black by 100 hours. This is with a one gallon oil capacity on a Westerbeke 12.5.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The black is called soot , but weather it is harmless or functions as fine grinding compound is unknown.
It is not an unknown to oil companies and engine builders. When I first got into the heavy equipment business in the 1960s oil analysis, soot particle size, dispersants, soot clumping etc were much in focus for DD and Cat. The oil companies were quite successful in joint collaboration with the engine builders to extend both rebuild dates and oil changeout intervals. Not only was soot a marker, but another dozen or so "items" as well.

Filtration improvements, engine design, better fuel, oil analysis programs and smart operators all played a role. Improvements continue. Sales, costs, warranties and equipment uptime are measurable and competition is fierce.

Advances in on equipment monitors, computer controls and maintenance detailing have today's industrial engines running longer, increased oil change intervals and generating more continuos HP per CC than just a few decades ago.

Doubtful any of this is relevant to our little low use recreational engines though. Change oil and filters regularly, sure use some bypass techniques but remember soot dispersant decreases as your oil ages. If you're lucky enough to have a commercial rated engine, treat it to fresh oil and it will last a very long time internally.

But then for that pesky sea water side -----
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #33
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
It takes over 100 hrs for the oil in my Lehmans to turn dark and even then not really black.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Could instantly black mean you didn't get all the old oil out? Or very high hours? My genset takes about 50 hours to trend from clear to darker and black by 100 hours. This is with a one gallon oil capacity on a Westerbeke 12.5.
Sludge buildup I would suggest.

I dont know the genset history.
It has 565 hours on clock but was installed in a position which made access to filter and sump plug difficult, I am rectifying that problem with remote filter and tap on sump plug at next change, due now.

Genset did have an auto shutdown due to low pressure first time we used it for longer than 30 minutes so I wouldn't be surprised if it had never been changed until we got it as it was pretty thick.

Hasn't missed a beat since we changed oil and filter and sorted a few minor maintenance issues.
Probably should run an engine oil flush through it before dropping the next lot.