How does a scam work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back in 1990 I was married by a Judge who was a friend. I arrived at his courtroom for the wedding with my fiancé while he was about to sentence some guy for passing bad checks.

To my amazement he suddenly stopped the proceedings and announced to the court that before he continues, there is someone (me) who just entered the courtroom who is about to receive a life sentence!!

Back in 1990 I was married by a Judge who was a friend. I arrived at his courtroom for the wedding with my fiancé while he was about to sentence some guy for passing bad checks.

To my amazement he suddenly stopped the proceedings and announced to the court that before he continues, there is someone (me) who just entered the courtroom who is about to receive a life sentence!!

With available sentence deferment or dissolution due to bad behavior. :hide:

Scam, Not Scam

The previous replies appear to cover all of the ways of being scammed of which I am aware. My wife and I were scammed once in the early Internet days - counterfeit certified bank check.

Several years after that, I advertised for sale on Craigslist our 1950’s vintage aluminum hull army pusher boat. Very interesting boat with a 150 hp marine Chrysler gas engine, 24” prop. We used it to push around our 40’x70’ sectional barge (Manitowoc). After selling the barge, we didn’t need the pusher boat, so listed it.

Some scammer from the Netherlands kept contacting me about the boat. Someone from the Netherlands wanting to buy my $5,000 boat in New York State had to be a scam, right. I kept ignoring having been burned once. He emailed one last time saying stating that he was the owner of a company that manufacturers safety boats used in large ships - they look like torpedos positioned at a steep angle that can gravity launch off the ship. He provided credentials. Seemed legit. He sent a check and we waited a LONG time for it to clear before we gave him directions to the boat. He scheduled truck transportation and hauled it to NYC from upstate NY, then shipped it overseas. He totally refinished the boat and used it on the canals in the Netherlands. Not a scam.

Scammer on this forum

I have a wanted ad for weaver davits on this website..it has been there for awhile..over this while I believe that I have received 3 different scams offering to sell me the davits..obviously I pay them then they don’t ship it..user I’d of the most recient is
jackson.distin35 ….just joined forum this month

I have a wanted ad for weaver davits on this website..it has been there for awhile..over this while I believe that I have received 3 different scams offering to sell me the davits..obviously I pay them then they don’t ship it..user I’d of the most recient is

Just curious, how do you know it's a scam and how do you expect to buy something online from a private seller? Do you expect them to ship it to you and you pay upon receipt? That is just as risky from the seller's perspective.

Please let the Site Team know by using the "report post" feature when you encounter what appears to be a scam on this site.
We know about jackson.distin35 from another member's experience and have dealt with him.

Does this look a little suspicious to you??

Hello mr cliff waver Davit for sell in very good condition looking perfect with warranty and it 4month used pm me for more details.. suzan.Tommy35@gmail.com

So-valey…thanks for showing me this cracklist listing but no, it is different ..weaver has special ones for walker bay boats..because we are getting close to the boating season I bought new ones.. appreciate your help..

I get 3 to 6 email scams somewhat similar this every week. I immediately send all into "junk email". So that, more email crap from same sender's email address always goes to my "junk email" file. Therefore, in this instance that sender no longer bothers me... because, unless I were to open the junk file, there is no way I see this person's crap again in my general incoming email file.

It's pretty easy to differentiate junk email from good email... just read the sender address as well as format and text in the email. This one shown is especially a laughing matter. Unfortunately, there are some not too savvy folks upon which this crap gets them worried and they do as the crap-sender instructs. Which, can create much bad outcome for those who follow directions.

Following is the absurd address and text to a SCAM!! email...

myAT&T Secure <att-security.bus.3188140091@emaildl.att-mail.com>

Dear Member,

We will close your email account in 48hrs if you fail to Upgrade your account below.

Please click here and sign in for verification to prevent the close down of your account.

Click HERE to Upgrade

Thanks,

Privacy Policy | Customer Support
©2022 Yahoo! Admin Team.
All Rights Reserved.

Imagine the fun when somehow the scammers send a wire transfer (and the bank confirms that it was a wire transfer) but the next morning the bank tells you the check bounced. Happened to my employer...took a while but the bank finally made good on their mistake (and the bank VP got sacked).

Back
Top Bottom