Hive Mind, I need you!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Salish Cruiser

Vessel Name
Yofi
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug / 32
Boat search...

Long time lurker. I have a pretty good idea of what I need/want I think. Yes I have read buying a boat 101. :)

Former sailor, selling a catalina 36 and looking for a trawler / tug due to a parkinson's diagnosis at age 56. Pretty unaffected at the moment, but I am looking forward, and accelerating the change from sailing to motoring due to the diagnosis. We live in Seattle WA.

Pretty quickly zeroed in on the Nordic Tug 32 as the smallest boat we can get our "program" into (See buying a boat 101) that I can single hand. And my wife will be able to single hand as my capabilities fade. We are in Elliot Bay Marina in Seattle. Cross winds and current are the norm, along with narrow fairways.Training and practice will help, but I am sick of the docking anxiety associated with larger boats, so I am shy of the bigger boats.

Nordic 32s are nice of course, but damned expensive boats for what they are, and not many for sale in the PNW. I think I can squeeze into an older one at my budget level if I am willing to do some work.

I have my eyes out for Willards, Transpac Eagle 32's, and well kept sundowner 32's and 36's and the like. But these are really unicorns if you think about it. SO few made.

I am attracted to heavy (I know full displacement is a state of mind) single diesel dual pilot house door boats with a bow thruster. I have considered GB32's and the "leaky teaky" crowd. I love the interior wood, but loath the teak on the outside. Particularly teak decks.

Can you help me open my world view up a bit? what else should I be considering in the <$150K range?

Have been on the Monk, and trying to see the sundowner tomorrow. Great minds! I will look these over, keep 'em coming!

The market is most likely going to tank when the virus is past.
You should wait till then .... perhaps.

The market is most likely going to tank when the virus is past.
You should wait till then .... perhaps.

Hmmm - why do you think? Demand side will dry up? People will realize that the reality involves more teak work than the fantasy? Curious...

I definitely dont have the experience as likely anyone here. I have a 45ft with variable speed bow and Stearn and a wireless remote. There 170 thrustsers and remove all docking anxiety for me. Once at dock they have a hold function. This may be common knowledge for most here but i thought i would mention. I keep the remote around my neck in the event i need to change the setting while tying lines. I am at Elliot e dock .I have always backed in so not sure if that's easier then heading straight in.

I definitely dont have the experience as likely anyone here. I have a 45ft with variable speed bow and Stearn and a wireless remote. There 170 thrustsers and remove all docking anxiety for me. Once at dock they have a hold function. This may be common knowledge for most here but i thought i would mention. I keep the remote around my neck in the event i need to change the setting while tying lines. I am at Elliot e dock .I have always backed in so not sure if that's easier then heading straight in.

Thanks for the input! See you around the dock.

I have two boating friends with Parkinson's. They each have boats about 40ft or so. Several years ago they both had implants to the brain. The results were amazing. There is a remote to turn them on and off. When turning off, their hands will start shaking uncontrollably within a couple minutes. When turning on the shaking stops immediately. They both love boating and were afraid they would have to give it up. I'm sure you have looked into this procedure so I'm just confirming that it worked for them. Good luck with everything.

"I would suggest an American Tug but, even used they are expensive to buy."

The outlay for the boat is only one part of the equation.

A bigger question is the "Round Trip",, the cost of the outlay vs what you can sell for,,,eventually.

Quality always adds value , after that its condition, condition, condition. " Paint sells the boat."

I suspect, after things die down, some who bought a 40-50 boat as a "secure summer cottage" will realize boating is more expensive than they realize and want to unload the boat hence, a glut on the market for used boats.
Unfortunately, these boats may not have been properly maintained, requiring a significant refit.

Pretty quickly zeroed in on the Nordic Tug 32 as the smallest boat we can get our "program" into (See buying a boat 101) that I can single hand. And my wife will be able to single hand as my capabilities fade. We are in Elliot Bay Marina in Seattle. Cross winds and current are the norm, along with narrow fairways.Training and practice will help, but I am sick of the docking anxiety associated with larger boats, so I am shy of the bigger boats.

32 is pretty small, for any significant length of time aboard.

Being able to single-hand a boat isn't always (or even usually) about overall length. Instead, it's about access to side decks and so forth... and can often be improved on a stock boat by adding bow and/or stern thrusters if it doesn't already have those.

I'd suggest you first shop for boats that have all the interior and exterior features you need/want/would like to have... and then decide whether candidates that surface from that search are more or less amenable to single-handing... as is, or with thruster enhancements.

-Chris

Permit me to repeat, it is not the OAL, but rather the WLL.
The WLL is a better representation of the interior space unless you are intent on hanging out on the bow pulpit and or the swim platform.

"I would suggest an American Tug but, even used they are expensive to buy."

The outlay for the boat is only one part of the equation.

A bigger question is the "Round Trip",, the cost of the outlay vs what you can sell for,,,eventually.

Quality always adds value , after that its condition, condition, condition. " Paint sells the boat."

FF, yes, the quality of the AT is pretty high AND no exterior teak so they do hold their resale value and price.

Permit me to repeat, it is not the OAL, but rather the WLL.
The WLL is a better representation of the interior space unless you are intent on hanging out on the bow pulpit and or the swim platform.

Right - good to keep in mind! Thanks.

The crowd who regularly travel BC and AK for the summer in under 30 foot boats woud disagree with that. As would the a few gillnetters.

Attachments

• 32 Gillnetter.jpg
    32 Gillnetter.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 19
The crowd who regularly travel BC and AK for the summer in under 30 foot boats woud disagree with that. As would the a few gillnetters.

As I mentioned, I have a pretty solid feel for the program of boating we do. tons of day boating, some overnighting, a few weeks a year on a longer cruise.

We need her to be stout enough that we will be confident when conditions get bad, (Straights of juan de Fuca, Haro, Georgia, Rosario) but not open ocean Tuna seaworthy. Almost always my wife and I. Sometimes me alone, Used to entertain aboard before covid. Light crabbing and fishing.

We live 10 minutes away from the marina and there are wonderful anchorages close by. Perfect? Probably a 36'-37' full displacement, single engine diesel without any wood to maintain. 32 (actually 34) is probably just big enough.
Love the Nordic and American tugs but man are they spendy.

Did you get to look at the Sundowner Tug?

I did not - it is a bit of a haul to get out to where it is, and the broker couldn't get it done yesterday. I am waivering if I want to schlep back over on Monday.

Sundowner...Love 'em or hate 'em?

They seem to be competent boats "inspired" by the success of the NTs of the era. Taiwanese, so I would expect beautiful joinery and a few leaks here and there.

Being able to single-hand a boat isn't always (or even usually) about overall length. Instead, it's about access to side decks and so forth... and can often be improved on a stock boat by adding bow and/or stern thrusters if it doesn't already have those.

I'd suggest you first shop for boats that have all the interior and exterior features you need/want/would like to have... and then decide whether candidates that surface from that search are more or less amenable to single-handing... as is, or with thruster enhancements.

-Chris

What Chris wrote. You can single-hand a lot more boat than most folks seem to think if it has easy access from the helm to (at least) a breast cleat, and if you set things up ahead of time. A thruster is a bonus.

What Chris wrote. You can single-hand a lot more boat than most folks seem to think if it has easy access from the helm to (at least) a breast cleat, and if you set things up ahead of time. A thruster is a bonus.

Right - thank you! Any specific suggestions? I am knocking a few out that have poor access to the sides or particularly high gunnels. There are a lot of those around here (Ed Monk was a local designer, as was Tolly Toleffson - great boat designers, but tough layouts for single handing.)

Sundowner...Love 'em or hate 'em?
Nothing wrong with a well found and maintained ST and there are still lots of perkins banging away on our coast. The 36 would do you well...but find one.

I was just thinking, from your perspective, the two side doors work well and at 60-65k you would have a lot of budget money to make it 'yours." Like cutting a side deck or transom entry gate.

Have you had a look at the owners forum?
https://www.sailangle.com/group-forum/index/id/2289

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a well found and maintained ST and there are still lots of perkins banging away on our coast. The 36 would do you well...but find one.

I was just thinking, from your perspective, the two side doors work well and at 60-65k you would have a lot of budget money to make it 'yours." Like cutting a side deck or transom entry gate.

Have you had a look at the owners forum?
https://www.sailangle.com/group-forum/index/id/2289

Just had a quick look, got all excited about another one for sale - 2016!!! sheesh! Not very active, but interesting. I was thinking: With all the money I was saving I could pay to have the brightwork done!

Right - thank you! Any specific suggestions? I am knocking a few out that have poor access to the sides or particularly high gunnels. There are a lot of those around here (Ed Monk was a local designer, as was Tolly Toleffson - great boat designers, but tough layouts for single handing.)

If you could find a 36' or 42' Grand Banks, with the factory glass decks and stainless handrails, it almost wouldn't matter what it has for power. Although I happen to feel that the 36' engine compartment is a bit snug for twins - a single would be just right.

If you could find a 36' or 42' Grand Banks, with the factory glass decks and stainless handrails, it almost wouldn't matter what it has for power. Although I happen to feel that the 36' engine compartment is a bit snug for twins - a single would be just right.

I have heard it often in the what do you prefer single or twin about cramped quarters. The port engine port side does not have anything that requires more than a casual look once in a while. The starboard engine is a bit cramped on the starboard side especially since someone decided to put the hot water tank there an make service the fuel filters a bother. (Relocation?)
down the middle with the hatches off it is as good as both sides of a single.
BTW, factory glass decks go well with stainless. Whoever thought adding wood to a tupperware boat was a good idea should be keelhauled.

Back
Top Bottom