Old 01-01-2021, 06:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Happy New Year - marina raised my fees

Happy New Year TF members. I hope everyone had an enjoyable holiday. My marina sent us a nice gift of a 10% increase in slip fees. While I expected an increase it would have been nice if they sent a letter stating what improvements they were making. The cost is still less than other local options and we have a great slip but just think it was crappy to send the renewal without reason.

Having been in the customer care business I am always surprised how little communication or basic customer service that our marina offers. For very little effort they could easily justify price increases. What have others experienced.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Here, marina fees have increased annually each year in recent years.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Usually the demand for slips is so high that they don’t have to do any customer communications. That is too bad but reality.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #4
Guru

I expect an annual increase but 10% is a lot w/o explanation. Heck I could write their letter and justify a 15% increase.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollygag1 View Post
Happy New Year TF members. I hope everyone had an enjoyable holiday. My marina sent us a nice gift of a 10% increase in slip fees. While I expected an increase it would have been nice if they sent a letter stating what improvements they were making. The cost is still less than other local options and we have a great slip but just think it was crappy to send the renewal without reason.

Having been in the customer care business I am always surprised how little communication or basic customer service that our marina offers. For very little effort they could easily justify price increases. What have others experienced.
Ours went up to $157 a foot. Safe Harbor is buying everything that they can in Narragansett Bay and elsewhere. They will monopolize a lot of prices. The mom and pops that are still around will
capitalize on that. From what I hear they all have waiting lists.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Mine jumped from $72 to $80 / foot last year (11% increase), but no change this year. At least they started some pretty visible improvements around the marina to go along with the last increase.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
Guru

Cigatoo we are still at an independent but know safe harbor is lurking and would jack the rates. Hopefully they will not buy ours as it does need work. There is a cheap option around the corner but it is crap and there is no fuel dock in upper bay. Friend has a private dock in Salt Pond we are discussing using that but hate to drive 45 min to boat. Spoiled w a 10 min drive now
Old 01-01-2021, 07:12 PM   #8
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I bought a condo a few years ago on the ICW with a deeded slip. Needs new pilings, but when Weebles finally arrives, my slip fees will be exactly $0.

Similarly, a friend has a 60' LOA power car he purchased a few years ago. He planned to liveaboard but had trouble fining a slip, and those he did find were close over $1500/mo. He bought a house for $640k and had a dock built for around $40k. House is appreciating much faster than the boat is depreciating.

Many ways to skin a cat....

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Things are different on Lake Michigan. A bad season last summer due to COVID travel restrictions and extremely high water hurt everyone, marina owners and boaters alike.

One State owned marina offered a substantial discount for the first two months due to electrical and other high water problems. Many marinas experienced increased cost factors related to the extremely high water levels. Some did a good job of fighting the "tide". Some, (like mine) not so much.

As things stand right now I don't expect to see cost increases. If the owner of my marina raises the rates, even a nickel, I'm gone. I am very tired of flooded parking areas, mud everywhere, half assed stop gap measures to stay above the flood (pallets to jump from and toward to get to the dock, etc.)

I sure would not want to own a marina on Lake Michigan these days but I'm not in the mood to bail mine out.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #10
Guru

Pete after your post I am will submit my deposit and secure my spot. No mud, pallets or electrical issues.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:32 PM   #11
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
The cost is still less than other local options and we have a great slip but just think it was crappy to send the renewal without reason.
I think you gave the reasons for the increase in the same sentence.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:

You sort of give good reasons for them to increase. They were too low. Plenty of other reasons, just increase in general costs, and loss of transient business due to pandemic. Ultimately they don't need to give you a reason.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Since we have our own dock on the river our costs are actually going down as we are refinancing our home. Our new rate will be 2.25% and our loan payment will drop almost $200 per month. Add in that our medical insurance is dropping about $800 per month it will be a better year, although how could it be worse than 2020?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
SW Florida has become musical chairs for seasonal boat slips. Was told in August there wasn't going to be one for me at my favorite yacht club (which is less expensive than the municipal and commercial marinas). The commercial and municipal marina were already full. Ended up buying one at the bottom of the market. Prices are rising and year round slip rentals now have a 20 boat waiting list for my slip size. If the border opens next fall and the maple leaf navy comes down, it's going to be ugly at the anchorages and mooring fields.

While I'm sympathetic for your 10% rate increase, you still have a slip you can rent.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #15
Guru

We are at the end of the cove so no transient. Last year there was 60% +- occupancy so the price increase is push but the other marinas charge more so they raised the rates. Again I understand and accept the results but would handle differently
Old 01-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
We are at the end of the cove so no transient. Last year there was 60% +- occupancy so the price increase is push but the other marinas charge more so they raised the rates. Again I understand and accept the results but would handle differently
How would you handle it? The standard say nothing letter?

Dear Slip Tenant. We are sorry but we must raise all slip rentals 10% for 2021, due to the rising costs of labor and supplies and reduced income from other things. We remain lower than our local competition and feel we provide better docks and service.

Thank you for your understanding and continued patronage.

Does that make it better? I'm sure curious as I've received and sent such letters and easy to sit here and write them, but when I receive them I only read one item on them and fume a bit and throw them away.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:05 PM   #17
Guru

City: Anacortes
I had to buy a moorage this year or risk getting pushed out without any options. Slips are at a premium again, if you can find one at all, and after nearly having a heart attack on what the purchase price increase was going to be, I read the tea leaves and realized that rental rates were about to skyrocket. I don’t know what your local economy looks like, but at the minuscule increase you are looking at, I’d personally think you owe them a nice card and maybe a gift basket too.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:11 PM   #18
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Because they can
As you say the cost is less than elsewhere
and improvements don't have to me made to increase rent.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:32 AM   #19
FF
Guru

With advances in tech , the big increase will come when electric is metered, and billed.

Both monthly or overnight billing will be common.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:20 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
How would you handle it? The standard say nothing letter?

Dear Slip Tenant. We are sorry but we must raise all slip rentals 10% for 2021, due to the rising costs of labor and supplies and reduced income from other things. We remain lower than our local competition and feel we provide better docks and service.

Does that make it better? I'm sure curious as I've received and sent such letters and easy to sit here and write them, but when I receive them I only read one item on them and fume a bit and throw them away.
Maybe this would make the OP feel better:

Dear Slip Tenant. We are sorry but we must raise all slip rentals for 2021, due to the rising costs of labor and supplies and reduced income from other things. We are below our local competition and feel we provide better docks and service. To bring us closer to our competition, we will be raising our rates 20%. Since you are such a valued customer and have been with us so long, we are only raising your slip fee 10%........this year.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote