Grand Banks 36 Sliding Aft Hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard

Veteran Member
Hello,
I have a 1991 GB 36 classic, with a hatch that slides open (forward) on stainless slides. It is a fiberglass shell.
Recently, what looks like a piece of wood has come loose from underneath the shell, on the forward lip. The wood keeps the hatch from sliding more than an inch or two, because it hits the snap bases that hold the canvas cover in place.
So far, I can use a screwdriver or putty knife to push the wood back up to get it over the snap bases and get the hatch open.
I want to get the wood back in place and attach it, but I cannot find a way to remove the hatch in order to flip it over and see what's going on, nor can I just remove the wood piece. There are stops that keep it from sliding off the stainless slides in either direction.
Anybody have any experience with this issue?

Thank you!

I can tell you how to remove the hatch to make the repairs.
There is a strip of wood on the outside of each of the rails that the hatch slides fore and aft on.
The strips run the length of the rail and are about 1/2 inch wide.
Remove the screws that hold the strips onto the rails and then remove the strips.
If you cant find screws look for bungs.
The hatch will lift right off.

Thanks, Charlie. But on my boat, the fiberglass covers the wood along the sides.

I'd post a picture, but I'm not on the boat, and won't be for a few weeks.

OOPS! Are the rails that it slides on stainless? If thats the case I cannot help.
If the rails are in fact wooden there should be wooden strips on the sides that you can see with the hatch open. Mine is 1984 vintage so might be different.

Last edited:
It is probably the same as my Europa. Slide one direction, remove all screws in stainless strip, slide other direction and remove the rest. Lift all off together.

Back
Top Bottom