Graffiti on Deep Creek Lock wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd R

Vessel Name
Time & Tide
Vessel Make
2005 34T Mainship
Traveled the Great Dismal Swamp a few days ago and saw this Graffiti on the Deep Creek Lock wall
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

7F7B1DE6-FD0E-4BC2-8D66-C38DD2748E9A.jpg

Why are the authorities not selling that space to advertise beer and web gambling? Every other space is sold. In a lock, it has the advantage of a slow reveal.

Oh hey, look at that :D

I was so thrilled with that design my sister made, that I ordered about 750,000 stickers... lol.

So you'd love if suddenly the entire wall was covered with stickers?

I've actually wondered about the etiquette of this whole thing. I love these sticker walls, and enjoy browsing to see if I recognize anyone. I also like the idea of 'joining the club,' but I'm generally slightly wary that adding to the collection might actually tick someone off. I'm sure some folks don't like it, and I don't want to be part of a problem.

I almost always ask the local caretaker if it's okay to stick one on before I do. The lockmasters have all shrugged their shoulders and said 'eh, its fine, go ahead.'

Well it’s their walls so if they say ok, then it’s ok. BTW, nice decal. Where did you get it made?

Those metal bulkhead walls are just so beautiful in their pristine original condition, I can't understand how anyone would want to desecrate with a colorful sticker or graffiti.

So you'd love if suddenly the entire wall was covered with stickers?

Sigh...
Really?
But yeah, I love it when Sylphede's stickers show up.
Oh well

And.... what he said.....
Those metal bulkhead walls are just so beautiful in their pristine original condition, I can't understand how anyone would want to desecrate with a colorful sticker or graffiti.

Graffiti!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!

That is almost as bad as the guy a few years ago that was appalled that people were building stone cairns (stacked stones) on the beach and referred to it as "vandalism".

Well it’s their walls so if they say ok, then it’s ok. BTW, nice decal. Where did you get it made?

I honestly can't remember for sure, but I think I used stickermule.com

We looked into getting boat stickers made but they were rather expensive so we just scribble our names, the boat name and the date with a sharpie. It's kind of fun to see who's locked through previously. The advertisement stickers stuck everywhere isn't so cool but the other boat names are.

I for one think its great that a small sticker on a lock is a fantastic way to say I was there. We left a few memories on the Columbia and Snake river locks.
Sorry if that offends anyone, but they do regular maintenance on the locks and that “offending graffiti” will disappear rather quickly.

Never had one person ever contact us over the offending Graffiti!

Apparently, pasting "boat stickers" on lock walls is now a "thing". I don't know when it started or why. It's a modern interpretation of writing "Kilroy was here!" that was often done many years ago.

While we may or may not appreciate the idea, calling it "graffiti" or "vandalism" is a pretty big stretch.

Apparently, pasting "boat stickers" on lock walls is now a "thing". I don't know when it started or why. It's a modern interpretation of writing "Kilroy was here!" that was often done many years ago.

While we may or may not appreciate the idea, calling it "graffiti" or "vandalism" is a pretty big stretch.

I think he was riffing of my calling it that in my blog. It was all very tongue-in-cheek.

So long as no one raises a fuss when the lock walls get "tagged" by a deft hand with a spray can.

Sticker Shock

In Arizona far from any water, there is a Federally protected site, Painted Rock Petroglyph, there is graffiti from 1,400 years ago. The onsite signs explain how most of the 3,000+ etchings are just people saying, I, or if you prefer Kilroy was here.

Hopefully people will be enjoying the locks in 1,400 years and staring at the federally protected graffiti and wondering about all the people going thru the locks.

Graffiti is definitely in our jeans but it may also be in our genes.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom