Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #21
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Time is more valuable than any of us can comprehend.

And thank you for the timely post reminding everyone that no promises are made. And what 'ta heck is wrong with doctors? They say "you're positive" and most normal people think that's a great thing. Then comes the diet (via physician removal of parts) followed by chemo, and well, life sure does get interesting. Thank goodness for boats and boaters.

Folks on the water truly are amazing. The experiences are hard to describe to an outsider yet such fun to live. I love the diversity found when a round table of boaters gets together. There will probably be one or more delivery captains, but the former occupations of the rest run such a broad spectrum that were it not for our shared interest in boats and cruising I cannot imagine meeting and getting to know the others.

I do feel blessed. And I'm happy to be here enjoying life afloat.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #22
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Great article, we feel so blessed to be spending our time on board travelling through Florida this winter. After awhile hanging out in Carrabelle waiting for a good weather window which are few and far between this winter we had a good gulf crossing to Clearwater where we are enjoying the beach everyday.

Each day we feel so lucky yet question whether we should be able to enjoy this lifestyle at our young age of mid 50's. Everyone says wait to you are 65 or 70 but who knows what tomorrow will bring, maybe we will be wrong but if we are we will enjoy our memories from all these great trips and all the good friends we find each and everyday.

Cannot believe we have lived aboard for just over 4 months and just don't miss our house at all.

God bless us dreamers and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Currently docked in Clearwater Beach Marina FL
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
"Currently docked in Clearwater Beach Marina FL"

Glad you having such a good cruise. There are not many beaches prettier than Clearwater's. Please let me know if the grill on the corner of the marina still has great grouper sandwiches.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #24

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
John's (OP) posts in the Nordhavn Dreamers forum were inspiration for my wife and I to sell up, and buy our N62. We left Vancouver October 15th, currently lying Puerto Vallarta. Would not change a thing. As others have said - "Thanks John!"
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
Guru

That's why I recommend retiring as soon as you can. I retired 23 years ago at 55 years of age and never regretted it. Lookin' forward to Super Bowl Sunday as that is my birthday.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #26
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
If you retire early...just make sure you are still employable/can jump back into a decent workforce in some way...

Retirement is great but if the rug ever gets pulled out from under you ...and can in many possible ways....it's nice to be able to still feel somewhat secure.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #27
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you retire early...just make sure you are still employable/can jump back into a decent workforce in some way...

Retirement is great but if the rug ever gets pulled out from under you ...and can in many possible ways....it's nice to be able to still feel somewhat secure.
Great advise.
I'd planned on being totally retired by age 50/55...what's that about the best laid plans....???

I've got a few more years to go, but am approaching a comfortable (I hope) semi-retirement. That being hopefully able to pick up a trawler, and spend extended stays aboard or U/W. I can run both of my businesses from the deck!
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #28
Guru

In the words of that great pitcher/philosopher, Satchel Paige, " Don't look back, there's something gainin' on you."
Old 01-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #29
Guru

Retirement Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
Great advise.
I'd planned on being totally retired by age 50/55...what's that about the best laid plans....???

I've got a few more years to go, but t'm approaching a comfortable (I hope) semi-retirement. That being hopefully able to pick up a trawler, and spend extended stays aboard or U/W. I can run both of my businesses from the deck!
Sounds familiar, I also planned on 55 but I guess I didn't take serious enough, still have no regrets. At 40 I took what we had in 401K and built my dream house. Watched everyone loose their 401K savings as we made a few dollars. A few years later used the equity in the house to buy N1 and N2. Between the two boats I'm sure we spent a few dollars which I don't miss or regret. Now committed to serious retirement savings and riding the market while enjoying N3. Assuming things work out, 60 will be the new 55. That's retirement age not size of boat. Part of my thought process is to live for today while planning for tomorrow while realizing life does happen. So far it has been a good balance for us. No regrets if it all ends tomorrow. I have been fortunate and blessed in more ways then I can count.

John T
N3522
La Tempestad
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 AM   #30
Guru

I understand John. To some degree we're alike. We're definitely not where "I" planned to be, but life sort of got in the way. I have to assume that things work out the way they do for a reason? I definitely didn't take things as seriously as I should have. Now in my late 50's, I'm having to regroup. I'm guessing I may still have another 10 before I see a full retirement. Oh well, it is what it is.

I definitely agree with you about being blessed though. I've had a great ride, and while I have my 20/20 hindsight regrets, the experiences have been worth the price of admission

And your last comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
...if it all ends tomorrow. I have been fortunate and blessed in more ways then I can count...
sort of reminds me of this:

"If it suddenly ended tomorrow, I could somehow adjust to the fall.
Good times and riches and son of a *******, I've seen more than I can recall..."

Jimmy Buffett

Sail on...

OD
Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
I understand John. To some degree we're alike. We're definitely not where "I" planned to be, but life sort of got in the way. I have to assume that things work out the way the do or a reason?

OD
Here is a quote that has helped me to keep focus.

John Wooden — ‘Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.’
Old 01-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Here is a quote that has helped me to keep focus.

John Wooden — ‘Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.’
Thanks. I like that
Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #33
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Yep agree with a lot of what has been said.
I built my boat when I was 45 and still working. It nearly sent me broke but it was my dream
have been full time/pert time live aboard ever since. I am now 66.
Retired in 2006 but after the GFC was back at work at sea 2008.
Fit enough to work and will keep going, that is the beauty of working 4 weeks on 4 weeks off and hopefully soon job share with more time off.

Had always promised myself a Nordy 46 or a 52 but after the last big refit am really happy with the magnificent vessel I have and know it inside out and it can go any where.
Bottom line is get out and do it you never know when it will end, have no regrets.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #34
Guru

Working in the engine room replacing an exhaust elbow that goes through the aft bulkhead. Had to remove the lift muffler and gen set muffler to get at it. A lot of work but as Ernest Borgnine said in the Wild Bunch, "I wouldn't have it any other way." On Super Bowl Sunday I will be 78 and still D.I.Y.ing.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Working in the engine room replacing an exhaust elbow that goes through the aft bulkhead. Had to remove the lift muffler and gen set muffler to get at it. A lot of work but as Ernest Borgnine said in the Wild Bunch, "I wouldn't have it any other way." On Super Bowl Sunday I will be 78 and still D.I.Y.ing.
The periods are important there.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The periods are important there.
Now that there is funny!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Now that there is funny!
X2 on that

ancora...good for you brother!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I am very impressed with OP to this thread... as well as with every post thereafter!

For reasons, addiction is not a word or concept I throw around lightly. That said... I am highly honored to be counted among this truly incredible group of boat luven and marine enjoyen folks. And, yes, in this instance I am very happy to consider myself addicted to the joys of boating. It don't get no better than this!

We have health issues too... but we ain't bout ta quit boating till we either can't board no more or maybe simply can't off-board. Of course the latter is my preference. Stuck aboard our Tolly boat... oh gee wiz! lol

Here's wishing best health possible and many more great days to all my fellow boat luven enthusiasts!

BTW: Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #39

City: South Pittsburg tn
Thanks john t for the thoughtful post. I had a stroke two weeks after getting my new boat to her home port. During the months of recovery it was the goal of returning yo my boat that kept me motivated. The first time back on board sitting on the cockpit looking out over the water was the first time I thought "I'm going to be alright!" Glad your back on board too.
Troopergray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #40
Guru

Going to bee all right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopergray View Post
Thanks john t for the thoughtful post. I had a stroke two weeks after getting my new boat to her home port. During the months of recovery it was the goal of returning yo my boat that kept me motivated. The first time back on board sitting on the cockpit looking out over the water was the first time I thought "I'm going to be alright!" Glad your back on board too.

Glade to hear that you are doing well. We all need something to look forward to in life. Those who have discovered boating are just a little more fortunate.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote