Free e-books from Dashew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Someone on a other thread posted a video from Steve Dashew on their FPB power boat designs. A reference described Dashew has graciously provided four large and detailed e-books for free download. I have to say, in an age where novice cruisers won't talk without a Patreon contribution, seeing extremely experienced and knowledgeable cruisers like the Dashews provide this type of information for free is refreshing.

https://setsail.com/free-books/

Yes, the Dashew’s have contributed enormously to the cruising community, perhaps more than anyone else

twistedtree,
What kind of things have they done?

twistedtree,

Well, those books for one. And I think he advanced the design of sail cruising boats quite a bit. I gather his boats remain some of the most respected and sought after cruising boats. I personally don't agree with the trade-offs that make up the FPB series of power boats, but still have great respect for all the thought and consideration that went into them. They just are not for me and what I want to do.

Those are great books even if slanted towards sail. Someone was asking on another thread about books and courses he could take to learn the art. Now I would never suggest that book learning only will get you there, but reading Dashew's Practical Seamanship and spending time on a boat applying the lessons in that book would go a long ways.

I clicked on the download button for Practical Seamanship and it appeared as a web page. It also asked if I wanted to download it to my Kindle in that format. I did and had to click on a few options but it finally appeared in my Kindle library after a while.

The Kindle version was good. Color pictures were retained, but a there were a few formatting problems (headings in the table of contents were split in two for some reason as well as others) that really didn't detract.

Not sure I am going to read much of it as my boating is now outboard based and never more than 30 miles from home in protected waters, but it is nice to have. The book is some 635 pages long and quite a work.

David

Last edited:
twistedtree.
I see his boats as different yes. I’m not much of a sailor either but I see lots of other sailboats w about the same hull design. The rest is mostly detail.

Perhaps he introduced sailboat hulls to power boating. Would that be a fair take on it? Sunchaser is an ardent follower of mrD and may have much to add.

No, I don’t think he introduced sail boat hulls to power boating. That happened when the first motor was installing in a hull 100+ years ago. I think power boat hulls have continuously evolved since, taking into consideration their mission, and what trade offs will benefit that mission.

twistedtree,
My read on the Dashews is they are the last in a long line of true blue water cruisers. For years, that meant sail, but they re-thought the equation and came up with a powerboat. They absolutely believe speed is safe and designed accordingly. They are tremendously prolific and nerdy about their approach.

I forget the exact numbers, but something like 60% of the powerboats they have built have circumnavigated.

They have been at it for over 40 years and have produced volumes of well researched information on Bluewater passagemaking. They are the real deal.

Twisted Tree, Weebles and David,
Thanks from me and all the others not “in the know” about the Dashews.
Fairly often I try to draw out information many newbies and less experienced skippers probably haven’t encountered.
And using explanations that go the extra mile to make things clear.
And I sure hope nobody feels used.

Perhaps my leaning this way comes from my secondary education (teacher) days.

I knew cashews but not dashews, I learned something tonight :D

L

I forget the exact numbers, but something like 60% of the powerboats they have built have circumnavigated.

I don’t doubt it, but also think there are a couple of things that skew the number

First is that they haven’t built very many FPBs. I don’t know the exact number but I would say less than a dozen.

Second is that it’s a self-selecting owner profile that hugely favors ocean crossers. It’s very unlikely you would select an FPB as your boat unless you planned to cross Oceans. After all, that’s what they are optimized for.

Back
Top Bottom