forward window shade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
not sure if the name is correct, but the shade has developed some tears/ruptures. it looks like stamoid. Is this shade usually a special order based on measurements? Is there an easy way to patch the tears?

Image_20240304084109.jpg

Image_20240304084117.jpg

They're usually custom made by a canvas shop.

If a seam have it restitched (whole thing). If a tear do the tape inside and out.
I don't know where you are, but I do something like that for about $400. HD Stamoid a little more.

Likely it is near the end of life. The tape may work for a bit but I would plan on making a new one in the near future. I usually call it a windshield bra. They are pretty simple to make except that I use Tenara thread since it lasts forever but it is sometimes difficult to get the machine setup for it since it is very slippery thread.

I've made several of those for others in our marina... most want mesh for limited visibility and to keep it lighter inside. That looks like it is at end of useful life as it's the material that's separating. Patch for short term but the tears will continue.
It looks like the tears are along the window frame edges so might be worth showing that to the shop that does the replacement as they should be able to add some reinforcing/ wear protection along the frame edges.
My guess is the wind on the W'shield has caused some pressure / movement that stresses those areas just enough to weaken it.

That is a perfect project to start DIY canvas work if you have any interest.
I'm planning to sell my Sailrite machine, tooling & fixtures, layout equip & work tables late spring / early summer. No canvas on Bacchus and less incentive to just do it for others. Boat related Small Business opportunity for anyone interested.

Last edited:
however i don't have the space to put a sailrite machine. the canvas sewing project would have to wait.

I've made several of those for others in our marina... most want mesh for limited visibility and to keep it lighter inside. That looks like it is at end of useful life as it's the material that's separating. Patch for short term but the tears will continue.
It looks like the tears are along the window frame edges so might be worth showing that to the shop that does the replacement as they should be able to add some reinforcing/ wear protection along the frame edges.
My guess is the wind on the W'shield has caused some pressure / movement that stresses those areas just enough to weaken it.

That is a perfect project to start DIY canvas work if you have any interest.
I'm planning to sell my Sailrite machine, tooling & fixtures, layout equip & work tables late spring / early summer. No canvas on Bacchus and less incentive to just do it for others. Boat related Small Business opportunity for anyone interested.

If you are tired of patching it, I can make you one & ship it for
$350 from your old one. You would have to put snaps in. Id send you the snaps and tell you how to fit it on. Pm if interested pls.

Back
Top Bottom