Old 01-15-2022, 07:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Flir

Shopping for a FLIR unit. Believe I want a handheld monocular. Use would be for running the boat at night or fog for collision avoidance. Also, other uses.

Have talked to a few folks that have the monocular and some that have the permanent mounted one, at a bit more dollars. Both love their units. Both said they would do the job. Guy with the monocular is 10 years old and the permanent one is rather new and both say they are great for dark and foggy areas.

Other experiences?
Old 01-15-2022, 07:49 PM   #2

City: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Model: 1980 29' Prairie Trawler
I with someone would make a off brand mounted one that wasn't so darn expensive. I love the technology but just can justify the price! Monocular goes sound versatile could use it for more than just boating.
1980 Prairie 29 Hull #50
https://missdotdee.net
sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:59 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormike View Post
I with someone would make a off brand mounted one that wasn't so darn expensive. I love the technology but just can justify the price! Monocular goes sound versatile could use it for more than just boating.

Ominsense is an off brand, but no nothing about it. Anyone?
Old 01-15-2022, 08:05 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have a Syonix monocular but it isnít infrared, but rather light intensifying. The thing I like about it is that I can use Bluetooth to get the image on my iPad. So I can set the monocular up looking forward and have the iPad on the console by the MFD. Also way cheaper than Flir.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:31 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I have a Syonix monocular but it isnít infrared, but rather light intensifying. The thing I like about it is that I can use Bluetooth to get the image on my iPad. So I can set the monocular up looking forward and have the iPad on the console by the MFD. Also way cheaper than Flir.

Comodave,
Does it work in the fog?
Old 01-15-2022, 09:02 PM   #6
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Comodave,
Does it work in the fog?
Donít know, have not tried it yet in fog. Certainly not as well as Flir.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:01 PM   #7
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Some where I have a 1st generation night scope. Difficulty..... you have many things going on to take time to hold it to one eye. Remove it from your eye and it take a bit of time for eye to return to normal.
I have a Flir looking aft and one Flir looking fwd attached to a large display.
Advantage, two hands free.
Some parts of the ICW are busy and their are many unlighted nav aids. The Flir sure does help.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:59 PM   #8
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
Cruising Sea Venture here has a permanent mounted one that displays on their chart plotter display, if you want to ping them.

When I was working I used a monocular version. The one I had in the late nineties through early aughts was just OK but worked much better when I was on the center console boat and not in a pilothouse, where I could use it over or around the windscreen. I also had a night vision scope and tended to use that more often, since fog, heavy rain etc. was almost nonexistent at my location at the time. I would use it when I had an unknown or unusual radar return, or when I was approaching a beach or boat before I lit up the scene with my spotlight. The infrared monocular I used 2012-2015 was improved and useful in all instances on Superior. If I were making regular nighttime passages I would opt for the permanent mounted one, nice to set and forget it and have that information on the screen, particularly in water known for debris. If not I would settle for a monocular for occasional fog or nighttime use and save my remaining $ for something else. When we move towards full time cruising instead of occasional vacation charters it is in my budget to purchase one.

Edit: the one I used more recently was a FLIR branded unit, though I don’t remember the specific model.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:40 PM   #9

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
Have used FLIR mounted in boats, trucks, and used handheld units, same for night vision. . For driving anything or walking at night I prefer night vision, for tracking or driving things in fog I prefer IR. But in boats I like neither as much as radar since in most conditions it is completely unaffected. But if money is no object I would choose IR over night vision for the simple fact that at night nothing works as well as a good spot light and not being in the military anymore there are no situations I can think of where a spotlight cannot be used so night vision is semi useless.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:32 AM   #10
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarsh203 View Post
Have used FLIR mounted in boats, trucks, and used handheld units, same for night vision. . For driving anything or walking at night I prefer night vision, for tracking or driving things in fog I prefer IR. But in boats I like neither as much as radar since in most conditions it is completely unaffected. But if money is no object I would choose IR over night vision for the simple fact that at night nothing works as well as a good spot light and not being in the military anymore there are no situations I can think of where a spotlight cannot be used so night vision is semi useless.
I agree with this post.

while in pitch black night vision or flir would help and radar will also work but in 360*. Most nights there is always some light. as one who has travelled at night often it is very possible without night vision or flir with the naked eye.
Technology assist when money is no object, of course get it all.
Me, if I cannot see with my own eyes then I will want radar 1st and a chartplotter, then night vision and FLIR
Old 01-16-2022, 02:07 AM   #11
Guru

City: Boston Area
I would think IR would be great in a man overboard situation at night.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:08 AM   #12
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Maybe, my guess is wet head will not show up.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:05 AM   #13
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Yes, it is excellent for that. It is the heat difference that makes it show up so well. Unless you are in 98 degree waterÖ
Old 01-16-2022, 03:07 AM   #14
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
I tend to disagree. I think the hard mounted systems would pick up a person in the water extremely well. The monocular system picked them up in training scenarios that I took part in but these were in calm seas. Also picked out waterfowl on top of the water
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:14 AM   #15
TF Site Team

The monocular version will pick up a PIW very well, IF you have it pointed at the person. Typically they donít have as good resolution but they will work for a PIW, but probably not as well as a good fixed system. But then again the good fixed systems are very pricey.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:03 AM   #16
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Keep in mind that with any handheld IR device, you need to step outside to see anything. It can't see through you helm windows. So keep that in mind as you visualize (pun intended) how you will use it. An externally mounted FLIR of course doesn't have this issue.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #17
Guru

Regarding the spot light.....
One would think that it would be nice to have the flir in place of the spotlight in any kind of precip or fog. A spot light doesn't work well in fog, and even in mist the reflection of the water droplets is blinding.

Correct?

====
Also, there's been some comments about the monocular doesn't have the same image quality as the fixed unit, but that's not what Flir says (depending on the model). Is this correct?
Old 01-16-2022, 10:49 AM   #18
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Maybe, my guess is wet head will not show up.
You would be surprised -- they present a strong return. I know because I easily saw a kook who went swimming in the main channel at the conclusion of a fireworks show.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:09 AM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin 40
Was one of the first to use aircraft mounted FLIR in the USCG back in the 80s.

Back then there were some limitations but has improved greatly through the years.

Something like a log that has equalized temperature, maybe hhard to see but a human head that is alive, even not dead for long.....stands out well when I have used many types.

That first one could detect rotting bananas pessed against the side of a banana ship right through the steel hull.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:22 AM   #20

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
Yes a spotlight is almost completely useless on a good day in fog and absolutely detrimental on a bad day of fog, whiting out everything and making visibility considerably worse. IR systems do work in fog slightly better than the naked eye but the heavier the fog the more limited in range the ir system is, it’s Definitly not the end all be all running in fog system. The only system not affected by fog is radar. If you want to run in fog on the regular get better with your radar and chart plotter because those two systems are the most useful and when you become comfortable enough with those two systems you can continue to run in fog just like it’s daytime. Image quality and range on civilian units are directly correlated to one thing and one thing only when it comes to IR and that is money. More money equals more range. The biggest difference in range will be once you move up to 2 and 3 axis stabilized gimbals on mounted systems, that will also be the largest jump in price lol. I have used top of the line flir units on the boats I ran while in the navy and the units we were using cost high 300k. You could also read someone’s lips at night over a mile away, fog still greatly reduced its range. You can get very high quality long range handheld units, but on a boat after you go past a certain magnification it becomes almost impossible to hold the unit steady enough for it to be usable. That’s when fixed gimbal mounted systems start really coming into there own. As someone who has used IR extensively I do think they are a useful tool, and if money were no object the unit I would get would be in the mid 40s price wise but by no means do I think they are any sort of magical fog driving machine and Definitly not a requirement for any boat except for one regularly doing search and rescue operations. Most flir units I have ever seen in yachts just sit there unused. Very few people are comfortable running any vessel in reduced visibility no matter the systems or instruments installed on board. Hell radar is the single most useful piece of equipment in all reduced visibility situations and getting people to learn how to use it is like pulling teeth, depth perception is a NEED when driving a boat, no flir unit gives you depth perception, radar gives you nothing but depth perception. Which while driving how far away from something is, is kinda the most important thing you need to know. Needing to know How far, how wide, and how fast something is comes first in what I need to know before identifying what something is. Flir only tells you what it is, radar answers the important questions, unless you have super deep pockets and can afford a mounted gimble unit with laser range finder, auto tracking and target direction and speed identification, they exist but the cost is excessive, honestly don’t know if they are sold to civilians though, the units I have seen have some other features I don’t see them wanting sold to just anybody. Btw they are Still not as good as radar for running in reduced visibility.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote