Fleming 55 v Fleming 65

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have owned a Fleming 55 and 65. We basically live on our 65. The 65 any day is better mainly due to space but also the extra displacement makes a huge difference to performance at sea. If you have instagram check @Freja_f65

So for Pirates Cove I thought there would be enough water on a 5 foot plus tide if you followed the black line. I thought you'd be okay with depth and the issue may be width. Isn't there a rocky shelf by the green marker? I could see a risk of kissing a stabilizer fin on what I remember as a shelf or ledge that was very close to the channel or in the channel.

That would be impressive to see an 80 footer enter Prideaux, local knowledge is king.

Pirates Cove is a good example for boats of this size being about the limit, not only for getting in and out but also the swing radius for anchoring. We use Pirates a lot,, as a staging spot for crossing the straits going up and also for the trip down. There's enough water at the entrance at about half tide or higher in my experience if you are careful. The rock shelf near the day mark is visible as you enter. For anchoring a 55 or 65 Fleming in there, you'd need to be in front the private dock to be able to swing. With other boats present, it might be that the 55 could do it but not the 65. There are many other similar limiting scenarios at other small anchorages.

Last edited:
There are many other similar limiting scenarios at other small anchorages.

Put simply, large boats may not be able to anchor at small anchorages or in close proximity to other boats.

I will extend this further. With the exception of the Bahamas where anchoring at all sizes is very popular, there is a general practical presumption that larger boats will tend toward marinas. Moorings are not generally available and anchorages are limited. Plus larger boats have more people aboard often and they want to access land. There are some major long distance cruisers with large boats who do regularly anchor, but if you look at ratios of anchoring and mooring balls vs. marinas and docks, you'll see the larger boats moving toward marinas. I saw this in the PNW and have seen it in New England. The one place the opposite occurs is Eastern Canada, specifically Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, where small boats are at the marinas and larger boats are very limited in some areas.

I would caution and agree for those who like to anchor in certain areas, a larger boat will force adjustment to marinas or different anchorages.

Put simply, large boats may not be able to anchor at small anchorages or in close proximity to other boats.

I will extend this further. With the exception of the Bahamas where anchoring at all sizes is very popular, there is a general practical presumption that larger boats will tend toward marinas. Moorings are not generally available and anchorages are limited. Plus larger boats have more people aboard often and they want to access land. There are some major long distance cruisers with large boats who do regularly anchor, but if you look at ratios of anchoring and mooring balls vs. marinas and docks, you'll see the larger boats moving toward marinas. I saw this in the PNW and have seen it in New England. The one place the opposite occurs is Eastern Canada, specifically Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, where small boats are at the marinas and larger boats are very limited in some areas.

I would caution and agree for those who like to anchor in certain areas, a larger boat will force adjustment to marinas or different anchorages.

That's an interesting observation. I'd expect the opposite in many areas, as larger boats will often be self-sufficient for longer periods of time, can carry bigger dinghies for shore runs, etc.

That's an interesting observation. I'd expect the opposite in many areas, as larger boats will often be self-sufficient for longer periods of time, can carry bigger dinghies for shore runs, etc.

They can, but choose not to. The anchorages small boats use are just too small, either too shallow, or not enough space. Boats above a certain size may anchor but not in what small boats list as their favorite anchorages. Yes, larger boats have tenders for shore runs, but are inclined to anchor and use those where marinas are not a choice.

Even when anchoring, it typically will be a different anchorage or often anchoring in a location you might not even consider an anchorage, just somewhere outside an inlet. This is also where you'll see larger boats anchoring in much deeper water.

There are no universal rules, but just the fact that many anchorages are eliminated by size and draft.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom