Old 09-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #21
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Might use aluminum if I try it again... softer, yes, but significantly easier to work with.
If your rudder is ss, your aluminum plates will disappear through galvanic corrosion.

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Twist,
I agree.
The propwash is way above boat speed. I moved one of my zincs up to the top of the rudder to get them out of the propwash.
As we used to say in aviation the propwash is trying to blow the tail backwards. So it pulls back on the fuselage. Rudders pulling back on boats dosn’t help efficiency.
No noticeable loss of efficiency or fuel consumption at 7 knots (as measured between Toronto and Bahamas), actually no noticeable difference in any way except the ability to do tight turns at low speed and a moderate improvement going astern.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #23
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
...about $100 Cndn dollarettes, I believe that's about ten bucks US
Been cruising in the Ďol US of A?

Your dollar is worth a dollar in BC...you should come up & over, down and around, or across at 100kph for a visit
Old 09-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Been cruising in the Ďol US of A?

Your dollar is worth a dollar in BC...you should come up & over, down and around, or across at 100kph for a visit
+2
Old 09-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #25
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
There is a commercial rudder addition made for single screw ships, tugs and large commercial boats. About 20% more rudder tail is added with pivots and linkage so in a turn, the further the rudder goes toward full, the further the extension moves. I've seen a homemade one with ss cables and attachments along side the rudder post. A ship will make a turning circle about 20-25% smaller.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #26

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The million dollar question...

How big of a fishtail to improve turning but small enough to be insignificant drag at cruise?
Guesswork
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:43 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Guesswork
It is guess work but easily and inexpensively changed if bolted on. A buddy who is a naval architect saw my effort after the fact and said my 6" fins at 15 degrees on a 38' displacement hull was right about what he would have prescribed.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:34 AM   #28
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
There is a commercial rudder addition made for single screw ships, tugs and large commercial boats. About 20% more rudder tail is added with pivots and linkage so in a turn, the further the rudder goes toward full, the further the extension moves. I've seen a homemade one with ss cables and attachments along side the rudder post. A ship will make a turning circle about 20-25% smaller.
Articulating rudder, a very different animal than adding to existing rudder.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If you want great slow speed turning, the 3 components to success are:

A large rudder.
A significant leading edge (up to 28% of what's behind the pivot point, put in front of the pivot point). Without a leading edge, you lose half of the prop wash.
Being able to pivot the rudder 40 degrees.

This is the rudder on my trawler. It's a foil style, designed for slow speed. There is a significant leading edge and it will pivot 40 degrees. You can push this boat sideways by pivoting the rudder hard over, going forward at idle and pushing the bow with the bow thruster. There is an incredible amount of sideways push with this rudder hard over!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0838.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	80730

Name:	DSCN1475.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	80731

This is the rudder we built for my Bruno & Stillman. Large leading edge and 40+ degree pivot. This boat turns on a dime and gives you a nickel back.

Name:	DSCN0925.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	80732

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:34 AM   #30

City: Waitamata
Vessel Name: Karinya
Vessel Model: Pelin
I made a similar rudder mod but also added end plates. My thoughts were that it would help prevent the water taking a short cut and bypassing the rear strip. It has had a massive effect on the hull and I am still evaluating the effects. It must be costing fuel as there seems to be a lot of ocean chasing the boat about the harbour that there wasnít before, and the wake leaves the hull from further back on the sides of the hull. Steering is much more direct and low speed manoeuvring has improved ten fold which was expected (planed -hoped more likely). What I didnít expect was a higher top speed and the hull traveling much flatter. Itís intriguing and got me thinking of removing it next season so I can make more accurate comparison as I didnít make enough observations of the earlier set up. I think what may be happening with the increase in top speed is that the schilling strip is dragging a lower pressure behind the rudder that is being filled by water that would of otherwise continued to travel below the keel and rudder. This upward movement of water I suspect is creating lift at the large flat area at the stern and keeping the boat bow down increasing the effective waterline. The bow stays flat at all speeds so it will be interesting to see if it climbs over big seas on the bow or attempts to punch through them ??. Iím really surprised at what a huge change something so subtle can make. I suspect the designer would be horrified at what Iíve done but gosh itís interesting. I can post a couple of pics if anyoneís interested. I would also be interested on anybodyís ideas on whatís really going on.
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #31
Guru

City: kemah
BeeJay,

Pretty interesting that you got some stern lift from the mod. Got any pics?
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #32
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If your rudder is ss, your aluminum plates will disappear through galvanic corrosion.
Yes that would be and issue, but one could separate them with non metallic washers. But mine's not SS anyway.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:21 AM   #33
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Beejay,

Yes, pix would be interesting. I also a bit intrigued with the rudder designs and the shilling, fishtail, etc. mods.

Considered the articulating rudder at one time, but just don't like moving parts down there, plus it's expensive.

All this rudder modification stuff solidifies my decision to get a twin next time.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #34
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
The main purpose of the leading edge of the rudder, the bit in front of the post, is to lower the effort needed to turn the rudder. My mod lowered vibration in the rudder, has no effect on cruise speed and improved my low-speed handling immensely. Itís up to you to decide if ďimmenselyĒ means anything.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #35

City: Florida
I had a piece of 2" angle welded to the trailing edge of MOJO's rudder. No change in speed that I can discern but it does seem to make slow speed handling a little better. I suspect it's a little too small so I may try a larger piece at next haul out. Easy to cut this one off and weld on a 3" or 4" angle.Click image for larger version

Name:	20141010_093440.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	80783

Name:	20141010_093505.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	80784
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Our big 45 degree rudder leaves me not in want of anything else.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #37

Rudder mod pics
Attached Thumbnails
Rudder mods.jpg   Rudder mods 2 .jpg  
Old 09-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Our big 45 degree rudder leaves me not in want of anything else.
That’s because your boat has a small, pert, slippery rounded arse compared to our large, squat, heavy, water dragging square ones
Old 09-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #39

That's the kindest thing that somebodies said about my rear end in a long time .....gosh thanks Murray (blush blush)
Old 09-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
That's the kindest thing that somebodies said about my rear end in a long time .....gosh thanks Murray (blush blush)
Sorry Dude... I was talking to Nomadís Willy