Engine room fire extinguishing requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was reading the U.S.C.G. requirements on this topic. It was a little confusing with all the lawyer talk with in it.

But, bottom line I think. Which is my question. With a large bottle mounted in the engine room. That we mast have it inspected and re-inspected based on the tag? Yes?

FYI - My bottle is in the 75 to 100 CF range. With no tag.

I was reading the U.S.C.G. requirements on this topic. It was a little confusing with all the lawyer talk with in it.

But, bottom line I think. Which is my question. With a large bottle mounted in the engine room. That we mast have it inspected and re-inspected based on the tag? Yes?

FYI - My bottle is in the 75 to 100 CF range. With no tag.

My understanding of all fire fighting equipment aboard vessels it must be in accordance with manufacturer instructions.

So things like mounting and inspections must be complied with. So if you have a fixed system (which you are NOT required to have), you still have to follow maintenance protocols.

The part that often gets tossed around is portables and their longevity. If I recall, with most portables, you or someone is supposed to do an annual inspection, but I don't think it has to be tagged. I could be wrong and not researching it right now. Tagging is easy and a quick date and initial isn't all that big of a deal so just do it. Fixed systems may or may not require certified inspection depending on the manufacturer's instructions. Commercial vessels....different story as I believe they have to have a certified inspector.

Last edited:
Handheld now expire 12 yrs from mfg date.
Mfg date stamped on bottom or on label.

https://www.boatus.org/fire-extingu...peINPlN33QdI6ZDZFyuhZZ1xwGmTGNIBoCOBwQAvD_BwE

AFAIK for recreational use you can leave a mounted ER system in place w/o inspecting annually as long as you carry the correct # of handhelds w/o counting the mounted system.

I would hope that is the common sense approach when it is not mandatory.

That said I had a surveyor tell me that my EXTRA extinguishers in addition to mandatory also need to be inspected annually, which I ignored since I have the required amount inspected.
So who knows, maybe that is an insurance denial loophole too

Bacchus,

That’s been my understanding. I have an engine room system that hasn’t been inspected in more than 10 years and where my boat is, there is no easy way to inspect it. A couple years ago, I ran into an individual inspecting the harbor’s fire extinguishers who had flown in from Juneau. He said he would look at the system installed by Nordic Tug when the boat was built in 1995. After about 3 minutes he said don’t worry about an inspection, it doesn’t meet any current standard. There is no engine shutdown system, vent closure system, and it was insufficient for the volume of the engine room. Having been boarded by the USCG twice and obtained a sticker from the USCG Auxiliary 4 different times, I meet the USCG requirements. As far as I can tell I meet the insurance company’s requirements.

My only requirement for the engine room system is to give me enough time to launch the RIB or inflatable kayak on the swim step.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom