e Bike On Board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carbo Carbon folding electric bike.

Attachments

• E3658FA8-ED67-4983-A67B-796151945F56.jpeg
    E3658FA8-ED67-4983-A67B-796151945F56.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 93
What are you all using to mitigate the salt water spray corrosion ?

I have SALTAWAY that I spray the E Bike down with after each trip and I keep a good lube on the sprockets all the time.

I imagine a good canvas bag could help protect the controller

Last edited:
I have an ebike. I have used it to commute round trip 30 miles. I love it. It was closer to $3K. I’m a little skeptical that $200 is going to be useful.

This has a 12 mile range on its Lithium battery & only costs about $200. Weight without the battery is 48 lbs but the battery can be installed in under 2 seconds. Weight with the battery is 54 lbs.

https://fancygoodsi.com/products/fo...r3mJJEOJdyGziAVbNMZjwWYOj1h6TVpW7feykz4-BX2Ac

That looks fine for a mobility scooter for the supermarket or mall, but is totally unsuitable for transportation on streets or sidewalks. For that, you will need large diameter pneumatic tires, 48v’s and a strong frame. The battery will cost nearly as much as the rest of the bike combined........

Picking up this thread again....

Re: Batteries

Aren't there third party sellers that have batteries for a fraction of what the bike manufacturers sell for?

I got myself a Rad Runner electric bike to play with. I didn’t think it would be a good boat bike because it weighs 65 pounds. Just now I saw a Facebook post from a guy who uses his Rad Runner on his boat. I told him most boaters want a folding bike and a lighter bike. I asked him why the Runner?

He said because of the short wheelbase and the fact it will carry two people and a dog. He also has a trailer and a front rack. The frame is aluminum so that helps.

Attachments

• 6309D138-E734-4F4E-B90A-5AA77AE6BA1C.jpg
    6309D138-E734-4F4E-B90A-5AA77AE6BA1C.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 46
The 20" wheel folding bikes were too big for our storage - and very awkward to carry. Definitely test ride a bike with 14" or 16" diameter wheels. To me, they ride just like a 20" bike.

We got two 14" wheel Genesis Commuters (which unfortunately are no longer available) and like them a lot. They only weigh about 30lbs and fold up into a small package which is easy to lift onto the dock or into a dinghy.

I noticed that the Jupiter Discovery has 16" wheels. If I was buying today, I'd look at that.

I would not buy a bike without a pedal for anything but riding around the marina. On any real hill, the electric motor in these things need a little help from a pedal or you have to get off and walk it.

Picking up this thread again....

Re: Batteries

Aren't there third party sellers that have batteries for a fraction of what the bike manufacturers sell for?

Yes. But they are a fraction of the manufacturers batteries.

Back
Top Bottom