The Downsizing Continues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Formosa

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kittywake
Vessel Make
1992 Independent Shipwrights IS25
Hello all.
I have been running under radio silence for the past couple of years. But I thought I would post this link to a video I made recently about my "new to me" Independent Shipwrights IS25 trailerable pocket trawler which I bought a year ago. The downsizing continues as the Formosa 42 Europa was replaced by an Ennos 31 for a couple of years and now down to the IS25.

The long-term idea is to allow us to expand our cruising grounds beyond the PNW with future destinations including the Snake/Columbia Rivers, Lakes Powell and Mead, and hopefully part or all of the Great Loop.

We have concentrated on mechanical issues and upgrades to Kittywake so far. And presently we are waiting for trailer modifications to be finished. She will get a full exterior paintjob when she is finally sitting on her trailer.

We have put about 600nm, 115 engine hours and 40 nights on Kittywake so far in the Salish Sea during the past year.

Here is the YouTube link:

Attachments

• DSCN0191 (2).jpg
    DSCN0191 (2).jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20191014_142049.jpg
    20191014_142049.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 72
  • dinette.png
    dinette.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 773
  • galley.png
    galley.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 772
  • hull 4.jpg
    hull 4.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN9327.jpg
    DSCN9327.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 79
Sometimes I think smaller is more, just easier to get away and muck around. Most of the boats this size at my local marina - French Creek - are out and about, the big guys just don't go out that much. Some not for years.

Is that a 25 ft boat? Looks a heck of a lot bigger... and some nice features for a smaller boat.

Right now, I'm on the other end of the spectrum and shopping larger. After I get my fill of the next larger boat, I'm going to downsize, but have no idea of what to get next. Still have the urge for a go fast cruiser like the Formula I had.

Cool boat. This boat is currently moored a few hundred feet away from me. Similar lines and design.

Attachments

• 91848B8F-553C-41EA-B963-E0F9F48A44F5.jpg
    91848B8F-553C-41EA-B963-E0F9F48A44F5.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 53
Is that a 25 ft boat? Looks a heck of a lot bigger... and some nice features for a smaller boat.

Right now, I'm on the other end of the spectrum and shopping larger. After I get my fill of the next larger boat, I'm going to downsize, but have no idea of what to get next. Still have the urge for a go fast cruiser like the Formula I had.

Yes it is 25ft. But with the anchor roller and Livingston hanging off the stern, my marina measures it at 28ft. Measurements are 25' x 8' 4" x 3' with base weight close to 6,000 lb.

Hey, I think there is one in our marina. Will have a better look...never know...when we downsize to a trailerable they might be ready to move up to our size :thumb:

What’s the towing weight?

Last edited:
Very interesting boat, Formosa. It appears to have more acomodations than our Albin-25, which we are very [leased with. Tell us more about what appears to be a rather unusual bottom configuration aft.

Very interesting boat, Formosa. It appears to have more acomodations than our Albin-25, which we are very [leased with. Tell us more about what appears to be a rather unusual bottom configuration aft.

Around here those are called 'rolling chocks' and are mostly added onto semi-displacement commercial fishing boats...slows down the sharp/snap rolls in beam seas.

Around here those are called 'rolling chocks' and are mostly added onto semi-displacement commercial fishing boats...slows down the sharp/snap rolls in beam seas.

Yes Murray, one of the few IS25 boats is in Kitimat -- less than 20 were built from mid-80s to early 90s, some on a semi-custom basis. IS built fishboats, patrol boats and pleasure craft up to 60 ft. Still in business but now building tanks for aquaculture.

The rolling chocks vary from boat to boat. I have seen one without them and a couple have deeper fins placed inboard a bit. Mine are about 6 inches deep and flare out a bit from the waterline. These little boats are strongly built and good in coastal waters despite the narrow beam.

Not sure of the towing weight yet as the trailer is still being modified (axles forward, adjustable pads and bunks to deal with keel). My trailer has an 8,300-lb capacity.

A couple of photos attached to give a better idea -- trailer is sistership Avalon now in Georgia.

Last edited:
oops, don't know what happened to the photos...

Attachments

• IMG_8646.jpg
    IMG_8646.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 33
  • stern.png
    stern.png
    182.6 KB · Views: 460
  • hull #1.png
    hull #1.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 457
Hey, I think there is one in our marina. Will have a better look...never know...when we downsize to a trailerable they might be ready to move up to our size :thumb:

What’s the towing weight?

Murray, I believe the Kitimat boat is called Toorie and is a 1988.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom