Dorian aims for East Coast of Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True. And those last pics were not not boat. Here is Bijou. That last pic was a Schucker. Very similar boat.

Crazy thing is, the dinghy is still strapped to the roof. Solar panels gone though.

View attachment 93437
I wish you the best. Hopefully there will be just minor scratches and nothing major and this will be a story to tell :)

L

Does it look like mast is gone tho? Like snapped and hanging over the side?

Was your jib on a furler? It could have broken loose and is over the side. Looks like your blue sail.

The vessel is upright. Looks like the entire main mast is complete. (Not so sure about the other pieces) The jib on the front (Sorry not a sailor) appears to be disconnected at the bow and hanging loose from the top of the mail mast. There is a sail boat that blew over to the aft and starboard of yours. The main mast of that sail boat is over the aft end of yours.
When I post the picture resizes. But blown up on my desk top there is a lot of detail that comes out. The black spot on the starboard of the top may be a solar panel.

Attachments

• Cropped.jpg
    Cropped.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
That’s not my boat. It’s on the other side of the ramp.

Here you go, from a few different angles.

Two things. It does look like you have lost the top half of your mast.

Secondly, generally, all of the vessels stored "East to West" photo wise (actually I think compass-wise as well) are over, while the boats stored north to south are not. It looks like the worst winds came north to south, and that is what may have saved your boat.

Attachments

• bijou1.jpg
    bijou1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 124
  • bijou2.jpg
    bijou2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 300
  • bijou3.jpg
    bijou3.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 304
  • bijou4.jpg
    bijou4.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 293
  • bijou5.jpg
    bijou5.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Being in the center of the pack looks like it helped protect your vessel at the cost of some others.

The vessel on your port rolled over and away from yours.
The vessel on your starboard stayed up. Based on the direction of the way vessels rolled over, if that one rolled it would have hit yours. It did not!!!! Lady luck helped there.

Looks like 9 vessels stacked against the end buy the road. 3 may be 4 of those stayed up the rest tumbled over. Then a row of vessels perpendicular to those (and next to you) all rolled over EXCEPT the one next to yours.
Next is a line of yachts that includes yours. All rolled over except yours and the one off your bow.

Strange that the mast snapped. Maybe the sail furled out and stressed it. I had the jib off but not the main. Guess I should have tied it the main down better. It was an in mast fuerling sail.

That’s kind of depressing. Didn’t. Expect the mast to be broken.

Last edited:
Sorry for any damage but now you can do the loop.

Strange that the mast snapped. Maybe the sail furled out and stressed it. I had the jib off but not the main. Guess I should have tied it the main down better. It was an in mast fuerling sail.

That’s kind of depressing. Didn’t. Expect the mast to be broken.

That explains something I was wondering about. There seemed to be a cocoon over the break in the first photo - must be the sail. Looks like it is still mainly in the mast though.

Hmmm. From PassageMaker.

Chris Parker of the Marine Weather Center has a great reputation as a weather router. He's a TrawlerFest instructor and has a pair of comprehensive weather courses for boaters about to come online at boatersuniversity.com.

Parker has been giving free, live Hurricane Dorian analyses every day at 6 p.m. on the Marine Weather Center Facebook page. You can rewatch the analysis quoted here by visiting the Mariner Weather Center's page on Facebook.

During Wednesday's session Parker, displaying the National Hurrican Center "cone of uncertainty" below, said he disagreed with the projected track.

Parker said the Hurricane Center might be too optimistic. He said the track might run closer to the coast of the Carolinas in general and Charleston in particular. If this were to happen, the damage could be worse than that caused by Hurricane Matthew in 2016. Part of the reason, Parker said, is that Dorian is moving much more slowly than Matthew and would linger delivering high winds and flooding (such as depicted in that North Carolina image from Matthew at top).

"The way you fared in Matthew is probably how you will fare with Dorian," Parker said, speaking in general.

Parker said the difference between his projected track and that of the Hurricane Center might only be 20 or 30 miles, but even this small difference would have significant consequences.

He also said to expect greater than forecast storm surge in some areas of the Carolinas such as Wrightsville Beach, where he predicts 10 feet of storm surge.

Does it look like mast is gone tho? Like snapped and hanging over the side?

So hard to tell from the photo. Could be. If so, a new mast and re-rigging would be very minor damage after that. Also relatively easy to have done. That is assuming that is even your boat.

It has got to be hell not knowing and not being able to get there. I would hold off trying to go there until you find out if you can even get into the yard. Do they have power? Do they have water? Without either of those, it would be hard to do a lot of cleanup. If you sent over with a boat and immediately turned around and came back, what could you accomplish in a couple hours? I certainly don't know the answers as this is all way outside my experience, but going over too soon may end up being wasted effort, money, and aggravation.

Attachments

• cardude3b.jpg
    cardude3b.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 275
  • cardude3c.jpg
    cardude3c.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 271
  • cardue3d.jpg
    cardue3d.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 271
  • cardue3e.jpg
    cardue3e.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
For what it's worth

Attachments

• bijou1 cropped.jpg
    bijou1 cropped.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 271
Its def my boat. I can see my old solar mounts. Don’t see my new outboard.

Has anyone ever had a boat claim like this? What should I do or not do? I don’t have it insured for much (175k), so I’m not going to come out well on this. I don’t see them totaling it based on this pic.

Just be patient, I know easy to say when its not my boat. Go there when it is safe, then file your claim. The insurance agencies will have to have appraisers over there, so no sense you going off and then having to wait a month or more for the appraiser anyway.

And don’t accept the first settlement.

I have filed a claim already. Just hurry up and wait I guess.

If there is salt water inside will they total it? Sure don’t want to jack with all that.

Documents will help tell the story to an adjuster.

If the current condition of JUST the yacht maxes out the coverage not much else would be needed.

However if there is going to be a claim for equipment like the outboard or other items on your boat - you will want to find as many documents as possible to show that in fact you did have these items and they were in certain condition. The sales receipts, pictures showing it was with the boat and any other paper work that can document equipment was on the vessel.

Copy them so you can give or send them when an adjuster contacts you.
You make it easy for the adjuster to settle you claim it may go better.

Last edited:
I have filed a claim already. Just hurry up and wait I guess.

If there is salt water inside will they total it? Sure don’t want to jack with all that.

There may not be when the adjuster gets there, so make sure you get the full story from the yard or whoever can. Just take it slow and make good decisions.

Your insurance company will do what’s best for them, NOT YOU. Listen to what they say and if you don’t agree get an estimate to repair you boat back to original. Read your policy.

Yeah. One reason I wanted to go so I could document the damages. Don’t want to rely on others to document stuff.

Its def my boat. I can see my old solar mounts. Don’t see my new outboard.

Has anyone ever had a boat claim like this? What should I do or not do? I don’t have it insured for much (175k), so I’m not going to come out well on this. I don’t see them totaling it based on this pic.

Dont rush..... Wait until you can get over there or at least someone local to take many more pictures.
Perhaps, a representative of your insurance company will want visit the boat.

For those who lost or had their boats damaged by the hurricane, I am very sorry.
I am very happy we did not lose anyone in the trawler forum.

For those who lost or had their boats damaged by the hurricane, I am very sorry.
I am very happy we did not lose anyone in the trawler forum.

For the US the worst maybe yet to come.

Hopefully not. Hope this thing heads out into the Atlantic and stays there. It seems to have been around for a hell of a long time.

Hmmm. From PassageMaker.

Chris Parker of the Marine Weather Center has a great reputation as a weather router. He's a TrawlerFest instructor and has a pair of comprehensive weather courses for boaters about to come online at boatersuniversity.com.

Parker has been giving free, live Hurricane Dorian analyses every day at 6 p.m. on the Marine Weather Center Facebook page. You can rewatch the analysis quoted here by visiting the Mariner Weather Center's page on Facebook.

During Wednesday's session Parker, displaying the National Hurrican Center "cone of uncertainty" below, said he disagreed with the projected track.

Parker said the Hurricane Center might be too optimistic. He said the track might run closer to the coast of the Carolinas in general and Charleston in particular. If this were to happen, the damage could be worse than that caused by Hurricane Matthew in 2016. Part of the reason, Parker said, is that Dorian is moving much more slowly than Matthew and would linger delivering high winds and flooding (such as depicted in that North Carolina image from Matthew at top).

"The way you fared in Matthew is probably how you will fare with Dorian," Parker said, speaking in general.

Parker said the difference between his projected track and that of the Hurricane Center might only be 20 or 30 miles, but even this small difference would have significant consequences.

He also said to expect greater than forecast storm surge in some areas of the Carolinas such as Wrightsville Beach, where he predicts 10 feet of storm surge.

I'd like to disagree with him, but I've had that feeling too. I think it's Matthew all over again. Another thought I wish I didn't have either and that is it picking up power. It's riding the warm Gulf Stream and they've gotten higher readings in the eyeball when flying in. 5 mph and it's a CAT 3 again.

It may make landfall later than Matthew did but however it does it a lot of rain, a lot of wind, a lot of surge. As he points out, even if it's further from shore than Matthew, the rain and surge can accumulate. Not like Florence, but as much or more than Matthew.

Back
Top Bottom