Old 04-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Does parking come free with your moorage payment?

Don't know why this popped into my brain, well... actually I do. In the link below is where I used to live (only look at it during light hours PST), its a live link so if you look at it at night, it will be dark.

[You have to hit - Watch this video on Youtube]

So the marina you can see in the distance is owned by a guy who loves to fleece his patrons. How does he get away with it? He's the only show in town. See many, most of the boats at that marina are" run abouts," commuter boats. The people who keep their boats there live around the bend, to the left where there is no road access to their homes.

So those residents with no road access not only keep their boat at the marina but their car as well. And, it is not at all unusual that the family is a two boat, two car family. So dad eats breakfast, jumps in the boat, goes to the marina, jumps in the car and drives to work, then mom. Then the school boat picks up the kids and brings them to the public wharf you see in the forefront of this live feed.

So not only do these people pay stupid rates for their boats, but also pay for there cars. Now I think this is the only marina in the lower mainland (greater Vancouver) that makes people pay for parking.

Then I started wondering about other marinas around North America.

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
No, but I have been in marina's that limit cars and frown heavily about 'storing' cars in the parking lot.

This marina seems a little different. You say they have multiple boats, but there must be situations with multiple cars parked for long durations. Normally if you're home and your boat is in the marina, your car is not.

Unfortunately you either buy land somewhere else. Buy land on the mainland, go somewhere else. Or pay for the services rendered.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sidney
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Some marinas here is in Sidney charge for a guaranteed parking spot with your name on it, all others take their chances finding a spot.
www.rochepoint.ca
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
The Nanaimo Port Authority marina does not provide any parking. You can park in the paid lots in the area run by a private company (Robbins Parking), or pay to park on the street (City collects). When we would go out for any period of time, I would drive the car home, after loading the boat, and park the car in the garage, then take the bus back to the marina. Reverse the procedure when coming home.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
We don't pay for parking but we're limited to one car in the convenient lot right next to the docks. Additional vehicles need to park on top of the hill. Visitors also need to park up there, and that causes conflicts from time to time when people think their guests are "special" and just ignore that rule.
BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Parking pass for one vehicle comes with moorage, an extra pass would cost more. Visitors are supposed to pay if they're heading out on someone's boat, but I don't know how many actually do. Lots of parking along the main road with a short walk to the marina.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
So the marina you can see in the distance is owned by a guy who loves to fleece his patrons. How does he get away with it? He's the only show in town. See many, most of the boats at that marina are" run abouts," commuter boats. The people who keep their boats there live around the bend, to the left where there is no road access to their homes.
I object strongly to the premise of "loves to fleece his patrons." He charges for services and they choose to pay. Without him, they'd not have access to these services. Looked at another way, he saves them, he provides for them. Whether his pricing is reasonable is a matter of whether they're willing to pay.

As to charging for parking, it's a real cost and some marinas just wrap limited parking into their slip fees while others choose to price it separately. Often in municipal marinas, the parking isn't even managed by the marina and the fees charged don't go to the marina operator. This, however, is another example of costs that many be included in the basic slip fee or may be charged separately, but are most definitely real costs. Marinas often pay dearly for the land they have.

When you rent a slip, you can expect to pay for slip usage, electricity, cable, water, trash, parking, restrooms, laundry, and various other amenities. Some are lumped into a basic fee, some charged separately.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:46 PM   #8

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
My Yacht Club in Vancouver in is in Stanley park at Coal Harbour. We have free parking for 4 days at a time. If I want to stay longer I take a bus to the boat and leave the car at home. Parking is included in the moorage.
grahamdouglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
Guru

When my sailboat was at Sewell's, it was great as I could leave my car in parking lot and go over to Nanaimo (foot passenger), be picked up and come back days latter the same way.

The rates for the guy "fleecing" is much higher per foot. The people in the homes can't go else where other than to sell their home. I often wonder if they can get fire insurance for their homes.

This marina seems a little different. You say they have multiple boats, but there must be situations with multiple cars parked for long durations. Normally if you're home and your boat is in the marina, your car is not.

Either your boat is at the marina or their car.

The public wharf you see in the forefront in the live feed is popular as friends who come to visit often will be picked up there then taken to the boat owners home.

That public wharf is were the "wife" in Double Jeopardy (the movie) is arrested at the beginning of the film. Also this community is where some of "Cedar Cove" is shot for the tv series. Most of the people who visit on boats are locals as Washingtonians when they come up stay in False Creek to visit downtown Vancouver.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:03 PM   #10
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
There are many small marinas in Georgian Bay (Ontario) that service island home owners. Most that I've been to charge for parking. I suspect that it's an important part of their revenue, which is very seasonal.
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:06 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We are able to park free because our boat docks behind our house. But to say marinas ase screwing slip holders isn’t exactly correct. They have to make a certain amount of money in order to stay in business. Or else they could sell the waterfront property to a condo developer. They can charge for parking or raise the slip fees. Same difference.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
You get one free pass and you pay for the second, you are not allowed a third although there are ways to get a third. The second pass costs $30 a month. This is a good way to control car storage while allowing family parking at the marina.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:34 PM   #13
Guru

I have been a boater at three marinas that I wholly paid for - Sewells in Horseshoe Bay, Mosquito Creek in North Vancouver and Comox Valley marina. If you go by land value, comparing the above marina I discuss in the live feed in Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay there is no comparison, the Horseshoe Bay land value, taxes, etc. are significantly higher than Deep Cove, yet the parking was unlimited up until my moorage payment ran out. Same in Comox, parking there while I am moored there. If I take my boat our for months on end, I can leave my car for that time.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:51 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
There are many different rates charged for moorage and associated parking. It is all determined by supply v demand, not by the wants of any lot owner to "screw" their customers.
For example, in Ganges harbour there are many mooring bouys. The local marina that allows moored-out (Canadian for tied to a bouy) boaters to tie their dinghy, and when using their boat, to park their car, charge a market rate that is very high when compared to local marina charges for boat moorage on a $/ft/month basis. They get it because of the ratio of supply to demand and for no other reason.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:57 PM   #15
Guru

RMYC Club Marina in Sydney has a " we`ll follow you home/take you back to the Marina" service to relieve the quite large carpark of cars left while the car parker is multi day cruising. I think they have a "drunk bus" service too, for those visiting the Club and enjoying a drink or 2.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:58 PM   #16

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Some marinas I have used issue the slip holder with two parking stickers. If additional parking is needed, there is a process for that.

I don’t think charging for parking is “fleecing” customers. As others have written, the Marina has to stay in business....

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:01 AM   #17

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
yes for two cars. We do pay $808.00 for a 47ft slip.
magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #18

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
One free pass. If staying out more than a few days, they have personnel that will take the vehicle off site (no charge for the service or off site parking). When returning, call ahead and the vehicle will be brought back in time for arrival.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Wifey B: FRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! !!!!!!!!

People get over it. It's not free....it's never free....why do you think it's free or think you deserve free? Bet you think Amazon Prime has Free Shipping and Walmart has Free Shipping. Do you think the dessert at the buffet is free? Parking is never ever ever ever ever ever free. Water is never ever ever ever ever free. Wifi is never ever ever ever ever ever free.

Things might be packaged differently but just because you're not charged separately by no means indicates they're free.

Name:  free lunch.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  7.7 KB

Name:  free lunch 2.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  8.3 KB
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
But I went to a marina by car where I do not moor and parking was free.

Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote